Catford - PHOTOS RESTORED

Rich Papper

• Tempfix

https://youtu.be/ZsfNbgbtaQM

Some camtruck footage taken last year. Sorry don't know how to embed it as a little window. Some changes since but a 1 year old helping is not conducive to rapid progress! Hopefully makes sense of some of the waffling above. Track plan attached below too.

Rich

229879540_CatfordTrackPlan2(2).png.2d910a62191d6a8b4c3b1eefe043a041.png

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Nice work here rich,

Really great workmanship and plenty of potential owing to a decent size. As for the name I can see how it might cause people to mistaken it, but it's YOUR layout so call it what you want for the reasons YOU want. Looking forward to seeing this develop mate.

John

• Tempfix

Hopefully it will look something like this one day. I chose the location as I liked it and seemed to have the fit space to give it a (compressed) go. Weirdly given the time scribing each individual stone it seems to be the most finished bit.

Rich

OK, first and most importantly: it's not Catford. It's nothing like Catford, in fact I don't think I've ever actually been to Catford.

I went there once. It was alright, sort of. If you've never been, I don't think you've missed too much.

More importantly, what an excellent start... very much looking forward to seeing this come together. Good luck with it.

Inspiration here comes from a well known park in Bath called Sydney Gardens. I have had to compress it a bit, and it isn't entirely NSE, but I have fond memories of the place before NR stuck up the awful palisade fencing.

Oh dear. I had to "Google" that. I appreciate that the palisade is only a temporary measure, but having visited the Network Rail website and seen what they plan to do to the iron bridge, it's enough to make you weep. Nostalgia. It's a double edged sword, isn't it?

• Tempfix
On 09/01/2017 at 09:11, Pete 75C said:

Oh dear. I had to "Google" that. I appreciate that the palisade is only a temporary measure, but having visited the Network Rail website and seen what they plan to do to the iron bridge, it's enough to make you weep. Nostalgia. It's a double edged sword, isn't it?

It's quite horrific isn't it? I know there have been all sorts of petitions by the local civic societies to get something done that is at least 'in keeping' with the area. They've got plenty of time to rally around - at current rates of electrification there won't be any wires there in the next 20 years.

A few more pics below. This is the section next to the Sydney Gardens bit. Have been looking at ways of creating embankments and shaping the landscape that are a little more resilient and child friendly than wire mesh. This was various bits of styrofoam glued together with PVA. When all set it was attacked with a surform to get the rough shape. Then a layer of cheap B&Q polyfiller over the top, quick wash of brown emulsion and then hanging basket liner in the normal way.

A bit messy getting the shape, but easy and quite satisfying.

CA011.JPG.bc7cb0f33da9f01c25c637896d080ad6.JPG

Polyfiller. Tried some of the fast drying stuff - wasn't as good - set too fast to get smooth layer so had to sand it a bit (our house walls are like swiss cheese!)

CA012.JPG.c9cba0392215968957201eed117d8621.JPG

Hanging basket liner. Still needs another haircut. 

CA016.jpg.c2bb48d711f4fcfb1e82225208616a97.jpg

You'll notice a prevalence of Humbrol 29 on the track Pete 75C!

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 15

You'll notice a prevalence of Humbrol 29 on the track Pete 75C!

Just save some for me. I had terrible withdrawal symptoms when Plastikote Suede Touch in Tan disappeared. If there was a nationwide shortage of Humbrol 29 rattle cans, I think I may jack it all in and take up knitting.

The embankment looks terrific. I use those Knaufboard foam insulation offcuts and it looks like pretty similar stuff. Dead easy to shape etc. Never used the hanging basket liner method, but for an overgrown scrubby embankment, it looks perfect. I shall add that to my "to do" list!

• Tempfix
On 09/01/2017 at 08:28, Clearwater said:

Within the last couple of years, one of the magazines (Model rail I believe) had a downloadable sample of Sydney Gardens bath stone

David

I think it was early in 2016 in Model Rail. I had a look at it, but had already done most of this. Besides lacking relief, it suffered the same problem as I had with the commercially available stone walling I had looked at. The first problem is the regularity of the blocks themselves. Bath stone (an oolitic limestone for those making notes), is very easy to shape into regular blocks, but as the pictures below show there is only need to make them regular in one dimension to make a wall. In short, all the rows are the same height, but the blocks themselves are irregular in length. The second issue is how closely they fit together - there is very little if any mortar between them. All of the available stone walling I could find was either completely irregular in block sizes, or regular in both dimensions so it looked like a breeze block wall. I'm certainly not a rivet counter, they could have been painted and weathered the right colour, but they wouldn't have looked right.

CA018.JPG.050da6a6b29da58cc31db6363c74abf3.JPG

Shows the regular rows, but irregular block lengths. Also heavy weathering.

CA019.JPG.1822dfda0329526a37b6468535f70388.JPG

Trying to be accurate. My long suffering wife. 'We'll have a day out at the park my love, it's a lovely day...'

I'm not a slave to this level of accuracy. I missed out some of the curved transitions to the bridges and shortened it considerably. It just seemed like the best way to do it. Of course if I'd known how long it was going to take!

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 1

• Tempfix

CA020.JPG.79da71ebffec7c0025455e6894f6ff0f.JPG

Iris waiting at signal at far right hand end of the section showing colouring so far. Needs a lot of greenery hanging all over it at some point. Waiting to have time to sort the removable bits behind so I can still access hidden sidings.

CA021.JPG.83ee73abc9c5b66c1a8984001ed17f11.JPG

Other end. I have done the iron footbridge in the middle. Appalling lighting. Garage conversion with one single energy save bulb in the middle of the ceiling. Will get a strip light one day.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Replace photos
  • Like 19

What a great thread ...... and your opening lines made me chuckle 

"OK, first and most importantly: it's not Catford. It's nothing like Catford, in fact I don't think I've ever actually been to Catford. But my wife likes cats and when we moved into this house she gave me a whole room, so it works for me!"

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lovely layout and lots of potential with that room! I am embarking in a layout and lucky like yourself to have a room to do it in!

I like the weathering detail, just adds to the end result!

• 2 months later...

Hi Rich

Thanks for your compliments on my Laoson Valley thread. I've been a follower of Oxford Road for a while but not spotted Catsford until today. Looks a great start with some excellent 'sit back and watch trains go by' value.

Hope all is going well with baby number two!

• 2 weeks later...