Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

The​ photo that I've come across is very similar to yours MarkSG, but it must have been taken a few days earlier, as the hand brake stands (or what ever is their correct name) are still in situ, along with some fine oil (?) lines.

​I came across it on the Facebook site Britain's Railways Remembered 

​Actually, after a quick comparison, I wonder if the two photos actually show two different locos?

Edited by 217 RIVER FLESK
  • Like 1

Hi, pre-order placed last night for the MR201 early British Railways partial skirts version as for me they just lose a major part of their visual appeal without the cow-catchers. Part of the iconic image of course is the skirts, but that Wahlschearts motion is just too good to miss.

• Like 1

Hi, pre-order placed last night for the MR201 early British Railways partial skirts version as for me they just lose a major part of their visual appeal without the cow-catchers. Part of the iconic image of course is the skirts, but that Wahlschearts motion is just too good to miss.

Whoops, can anyone help here please? My bank statement shows that my payment has been refunded. I've not had any notification, does anyone know why this has happened please?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening All,

I have a couple of questions regarding liveries and years 'worn' before I go ahead and order one that people maybe able to help with:

1) the J70's that worked the Wissington Railway between 1943 - 1948 - does anyone know which livery did they wore? I have copy of the book and it only has a picture of one of the locos in 1953 at Colchester, after its service on the Wissington Railway. 

2) What years was the insignia 'BRITISH RAILWAY' in yellow worn? Im guessing 1948 to ?

3) When did they get the early BR wheel and lion emblem?

4) did 'NE' come after 'LNER'

Cheers for the help,

James

• Like 1

Changes of livery would depend entirely on when individual locomotives were 'shopped'. BRITISH RAILWAYS would have been worn from first shopping after Jan 1948 until next shopping after the lion-and-wheel became available. There wasn't the rush to rebrand that exists nowadays. Locomotives received whatever the most recent transfers were that were available to the paint shop. 'NE' was the wartime abbreviation of LNER. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

Evening All,

I have a couple of questions regarding liveries and years 'worn' before I go ahead and order one that people maybe able to help with:

1) the J70's that worked the Wissington Railway between 1943 - 1948 - does anyone know which livery did they wore? I have copy of the book and it only has a picture of one of the locos in 1953 at Colchester, after its service on the Wissington Railway. 

2) What years was the insignia 'BRITISH RAILWAY' in yellow worn? Im guessing 1948 to ?

3) When did they get the early BR wheel and lion emblem?

4) did 'NE' come after 'LNER'

Cheers for the help,

James

According to Yeadon's Register Volume 48:

1) All of the class received the abbreviated 'N E' by 16th June 1944, it having first been applied from July 1942. Chris (Dibber25) has already explained that this was a wartime economy

2) 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' was first applied to 68226, ex-works 26th May 1948

3) Seven of the class received the BR Totem as follows - 68216 1/12/51, 68219 4/11/50, 68220 17/6/50, 68222 29/7/50, 69224 25/3/50, 68225 13/5/50, 68226 10/11/51

I am looking forward to the final model and the photos look super! 16 years ago myself and my father built a 7 1/4" Electric Tram Engine based around the J70.

So this model would be a fantastic addition to our 7 1/4" Locomotive! Yes I still have it but it hasn't seen a piece of track for 15 years (a shame I know).

Sorry about the quality of photos, I am trying to find the original photographs!

post-31040-0-03893300-1519916932_thumb.jpg

post-31040-0-94727500-1519916953_thumb.jpg

Edit: Not too sure why but the post keeps flipping the images... Hmmm...

Edited by DJMR
  • Like 2

Hi

I am looking forward to the final model and the photos look super! 16 years ago myself and my father built a 7 1/4" Electric Tram Engine based around the J70.

So this model would be a fantastic addition to our 7 1/4" Locomotive! Yes I still have it but it hasn't seen a piece of track for 15 years (a shame I know).

Sorry about the quality of photos, I am trying to find the original photographs!

attachicon.gifCCI01032018_00000.jpg

attachicon.gifCCI01032018_00001.jpg

Edit: Not too sure why but the post keeps flipping the images... Hmmm...

Very Nice,

Would you be at all interested in running it again? I am, a secretary of a 7 1/4 inch railway in Norfolk, called the Top Field Light Railway, controlled by the Whitwell & Reepham Model Engineers Club (A total mouth full I know) if you are on Facebook you can find us there. In addition, we are on the 7 1/4 inch gauge society website.

Thank you.

Tom

Hi

Very Nice,

Would you be at all interested in running it again? I am, a secretary of a 7 1/4 inch railway in Norfolk, called the Top Field Light Railway, controlled by the Whitwell & Reepham Model Engineers Club (A total mouth full I know) if you are on Facebook you can find us there. In addition, we are on the 7 1/4 inch gauge society website.

Thank you.

Tom

I may do someday! Hopefully in the future when I have done more of the layout I will see if it works and look at some Club Steam Up Weekend events (forgot what they are called) and bring it along!

Cheers :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rapido had a prototype on their stand at the Great British Train Show in Toronto this weekend.

I think it was the same model that has been in earlier photos from UK shows on this thread.

What really surprised me was its weight.

My guess is that it would pull 40 wagons.

Bill Schneider confirmed 2 sets of cow catchers are planned, one pair fitted and one in the box, with and without holes for couplings.

The version I saw had the motion visible so without side skirts, but with cow catcher fitted. That looked really good to me and happens to be the way I had ordered mine.

Tom

Rapido had a prototype on their stand at the Great British Train Show in Toronto this weekend.

I think it was the same model that has been in earlier photos from UK shows on this thread.

What really surprised me was its weight.

My guess is that it would pull 40 wagons.

Bill Schneider confirmed 2 sets of cow catchers are planned, one pair fitted and one in the box, with and without holes for couplings.

The version I saw had the motion visible so without side skirts, but with cow catcher fitted. That looked really good to me and happens to be the way I had ordered mine.

Tom

We have a revised sample in the Model Rail office, illustrated in the forthcoming issue. The first sample successfully pulled a test train of over 30 wagons but a little bit of that capacity may have been sacrificed with  a change of gearing to get the speed range down a bit. The next stage is expected to be livery samples. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Bill Schneider also confirmed that they were working their way through the Thomas range.  I don't think Jason heard him.  :no:

Drawn by the decorated sample Stirling Single, like a moth to a very costly flame, I was able to inspect the J70 sample at York. Indeed, the nice man from Rapido handed it to me.  Like the Hornby Peckett, it is surprisingly and gratifyingly heavy.

I was impressed, and will definitely buy one.

Once it's released in GER blue.

Until then, I'll keep flogging my white metal one.

We have a revised sample in the Model Rail office, illustrated in the forthcoming issue. The first sample successfully pulled a test train of over 30 wagons but a little bit of that capacity may have been sacrificed with  a change of gearing to get the speed range down a bit. The next stage is expected to be livery samples. (CJL)

Wouldn't a lower gearing give lower speed, but also greater torque?

Stewart

Wouldn't a lower gearing give lower speed, but also greater torque?

It probably will, unless incremental friction is introduced. However, if the drive can spin the wheels when the model is held back, then an all wheel drive model's traction is solely the product of the weight on the wheels and the coefficient of friction between the rail and tyre materials. All who think otherwise are sadly lacking a grasp of basic mechanics, to be blunt about it.

• RMweb Gold

It probably will, unless incremental friction is introduced. However, if the drive can spin the wheels when the model is held back, then an all wheel drive model's traction is solely the product of the weight on the wheels and the coefficient of friction between the rail and tyre materials. All who think otherwise are sadly lacking a grasp of basic mechanics, to be blunt about it.

Reminds me of the scene in 'Fast Five' where two Dodge Chargers are trying to pull a bank safe out of a wall, but are just wheelspinning. So the answer is to hit NITRO BOOST which somehow rips the safe out (rather than just making the wheels spin faster).

Reminds me of the scene in 'Fast Five' where two Dodge Chargers are trying to pull a bank safe out of a wall, but are just wheelspinning. So the answer is to hit NITRO BOOST which somehow rips the safe out (rather than just making the wheels spin faster).

Ah, the fillums, ironically only made possible by multiple scientific advances, yet often containing material wholly inconsistent with physical reality. I laughed out loud in the cinema during the Zemeckis/Hanks movie 'Castaway' when Hanks flies to the rear of the aircraft as it crashes - moving in the approved forward direction - into the ocean. Had none of the people involved ever riddden their bicycle into a significantly immovable object and near castrated themselves on the handlebars?

• Like 1