Model Rail/Rapido Trains GER/LNER 'J70' 0-6-0T 'Project Toby'

dibber25

• RMweb Gold

The bodies would have made excellent garden sheds, I would imagine. Could have been sold to anyone, anywhere in this country or abroad.

Just throw the chassis away, as it won't be needed ;)

eek...

The problem I see is that if it becomes the main project, one needs at least two.....

Rob.

Go on... Have a look at White Swan goods yard at Yarmouth, Ipswich Docks, the W+U, the Mid-Suffolk and the Kelvedon & Tollesbury line, particularly Tollesbury Pier - a wonderfully brooding location. There's no going back. Two J70's will become two J70's, two J15's and an N7, take it from the voice of experience who has amassed a lot of Great Eastern stuff after falling for the J15... You and a few of your Western/Southern pals bad mouth the LNER, so try it for yourself - I guarantee you'll be converted.  :jester:

Edited by NXEA!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Go on... Have a look at White Swan goods yard at Yarmouth, Ipswich Docks, the W+U, the Mid-Suffolk and the Kelvedon & Tollesbury line, particularly Tollesbury Pier - a wonderfully brooding location. There's no going back. Two J70's will become two J70's, two J15's and an N7, take it from the voice of experience who has amassed a lot of Great Eastern stuff after falling for the J15... You and a few of your Western/Southern pals bad mouth the LNER, so try it for yourself - I guarantee you'll be converted.  :jester:

I would rather poke myself in the eye than model the Late and Never Early Railway.......but a Cameo of an ex Great Eastern goods only branchline powered by locos made of wood? That does have a certain appeal about it...

I blame Toby....

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I knew a man who’d been SM at Kelvedon - does that count?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know a good Chinese restaurant in Kenton, does that count?

Don't worry because it's a well known fact that one ran on a largely unknown independent secondary line in the Welsh Marches along with a Peckett saddle tank the company had acquired from Huntley & Palmers after saving up the coupons that came in packets of Rich Tea biscuits.  Therefore seems to me to be no reason that one got traded for some decent pasties and several hundred cream teas from a private Devon catering concern which had running powers over a local branchline in order to collect the cream from local farms.

Who needs Rule 1 with examples like that?

You forgot to mention that the aforementioned loco had previously worked on the equally independent South Polden Light Railway on the Somerset Levels.

• Like 1

With regard to some rolling stock to go with it, there are a few items on shapeways

A luggage van

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L3NBM8UVD/wisbech-tramway-luggage-van-no-9?optionId=64702593&awc=6920_1528150120_1cc52d41630aa3ccbcb4edb5e828d230&utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=affiliate

A bogie coach (left for Titfield!)

https://www.shapeways.com/product/J9BLM6S6J/m-87-wisbech-bogie-coach-1?optionId=62372612&li=marketplace

And finally a four wheel coach

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NB57N9GLK/m-76-wisbech-tram-coach-1?optionId=62419876&li=marketplace

And all three for under £100

As others have said, I'm rather dissapointed there isn't a GER livery offered, but nothing a lick of paint won't fix

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2

What would be really useful would be one of those GER mobile traffic office coaches that were brought down to the Wisbech & Upwell for the fruit traffic season. Is there a kit? D&S, perhaps? (CJL)

post-25673-0-61452600-1528214828_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

No idea how I could justify one of these on a Devon branch line....

Its even worse for me .My layout is a Southern Pacific LA  based switching  layout .Already an Oregon logger has crept in on odd days ,plus a Barclay and a blue  Peckett that switched Huntley and Palmers  US  subsidary .

• Like 3

Anyone not local to East Anglia, possibly including those who have moved away, and definately those who have moved in, should be banned from having one of OUR locos.

Stewart

I moved to Cornwall from East Anglia 35 years ago. The Cornish take at least 50 years to accept you as one of their own, if at all. Am I now in limbo? I remain at heart East Anglian and hope this is not a bar to J70 ownership.

Alex

I moved to Cornwall from East Anglia 35 years ago. The Cornish take at least 50 years to accept you as one of their own, if at all. Am I now in limbo? I remain at heart East Anglian and hope this is not a bar to J70 ownership.

Alex

As a Cornishman myself, I should say you've got another 15 years to go but I think we'll make an exception early as you clearly have a good taste in locos. BUT only if you, using your influence in East Anglia, can get me permission to own a J70 or two ;)

Its even worse for me .My layout is a Southern Pacific LA  based switching  layout .Already an Oregon logger has crept in on odd days ,plus a Barclay and a blue  Peckett that switched Huntley and Palmers  US  subsidary .

I shall be making creative use of the Channel Tunnel to allow one onto my European layout. (Well I already have an APT-E and Tornado + Pullmans).

Alex

You will still have to grovel, but we might make an exception if you plead a good case!

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I don't see that as a problem.

You've not helped there, Alex.

I have no interest in the LNER at all.....period.....end of......

I was discussing this very thing at the Midland Small Layout Showcase yesterday.

These J70 thingies are lovely.....as is the J15.....and Sheep Lane could be, once one removes the LSWR ground frame and signage...anywhere....even East Anglia...

For example, take out the 3F from the attached photo, think J15/J70 instead and ( to my eyes !)there you go.....Somerset Levels becomes....Oh dear!!

It appears I have no excuses...

Rob.

post-14122-0-82893400-1528611163_thumb.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5

For example, take out the 3F from the attached photo, think J15/J70 instead and ( to my eyes !)there you go.....Somerset Levels becomes....Oh dear!!

We have friends in the Somerset levels. When visiting we have commented on how similar the landscape is to East Anglia.

I appear to have gone and ordered a second one.....Alex