Bachmann Rep Limited Editions

WILLIAM

Hattons have a forthcoming limited edition 00 Class 47 805 in DRS livery on their website (product code 32-815RJ). I asked Hattons about the background to this model.

Apparently each Bachmann regional rep will have a limited edition model this year. This one is for Ron Jones, the north west rep (hence the RJ in the product code).

Hattons hope to provide details of the others in time.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds competitive.

Having Hattons on your territory probably isn't going to hurt, not sure about the guy covering The Orkneys & Shetlands chances though., unless he's holding something absolutely killer.

Hopefully they aren't all modern image 47's, something a bit older would be nice, xp64 47 went down a treat with me.

Some 47 name trivia here..

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_names.php

Longest carried name was North Star, from 1965 to 2015.

I wonder if the European rep will get this 47..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47843_vulcan/21981671141

https://www.flickr.com/photos/world_railways/28506718663

Edited by adb968008

The full list with retailer areas is:

North of England/Scotland

47805 ‘John Scott’ DRS compass (32-815RJ) - £154.95 (quantity 512)

East Anglia/East Midlands/South Yorkshire
47714 Anglia Railways turquoise (32-817SD) - £154.95 (quantity 350 or so), £244.95 DCC sound (quantity 150)

London/South East/Home Counties
47727 ‘Rebecca’ Colas Rail (32-816NF) - £154.95 (quantity 512)

West Midlands/Wales
47832 ‘Tamar’ Mainline (31-651DB) - £154.95 (quantity 512)

South and West of England

VDA van internal user army green (38-140IG) - £27.90 (quantity 504)

All due this summer.

Simon

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

West Midlands/Wales

47832 ‘Tamar’ Mainline (31-651DB) - £154.95 (quantity 512)

Ahh, ok....good to know :)

- Alex

Edit: Also, why do South/West get a van rather than a 47?

Edited by Midland Mole

Its a nice and interesting idea for a engine to be given for a rep to take to their area. Im sure that they will all sell as they have selected quite a few popular machines. Personally, I think the DRS and Colas ones will be most popular as they can soon go onto a website and be sold, meaning that although they might go to a regional shop, they still can be sold nationally as a lot of models are sold by mail order / website.

Add the Limited edition catch and these could be highly collectible.

Its a novel way of getting more out of what would otherwise be a normal run of engines, but now split down into select runs that can be made for the reps to sell out. It increases the sales though select stores and supports the trader network.

Hopefully, this will be another trend that is repeated next year, although you wonder from which class of engines it could be. Certainly class 66 and 37 are obvious choices pending on livery permissions, but this could work for coaches box sets too, as the van has also proved it can be done for stock. I'm not sure about steam, as they would need to come from one class, I assume that these have done using one base model for the locomotive release to keep production costs to a minimum to gain the most benefit.

But its a novel, neat idea and I'm certainly interested. Question is: Where do I buy the Colas 47 from?

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

Nice, novel idea too to support the retail network.

The exact opposite to the policy of Hornby in recent times....do you think Bachmann might have been paying attention? ;)

- Alex

Nice idea from Bachmann, and I know in the current era of online ordering it's kind of irrelevant, but why do we only get a van down 'ere?

Perhaps Bachmann don't want to compete with Kernow limited edition 47s in the south and west already.

• Like 1

Perhaps Bachmann don't want to compete with Kernow limited edition 47s in the south and west already.

A few minutes later that's exactly what I was thinking.... if they have an arrangement that a lot of their limited editions go out there that would make sense. Might be too that south east gets the van and another shop has a limited edition arrangement. Invitica maybe?

• RMweb Gold

A few minutes later that's exactly what I was thinking.... if they have an arrangement that a lot of their limited editions go out there that would make sense. Might be too that south east gets the van and another shop has a limited edition arrangement. Invitica maybe?

South *West* gets the van. Invicta are in Kent where the Colas 47 will be.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the plan is to put them on the shelves of some of the lesser known retailers in the various areas, the type of place that gets overlooked on line, not a "box shifter" as it were, and the public are encouraged to go on a hunt to try and find them

Think of a cross between Charlie and the chocolate factory and Pokémon GO!

Cue lots of men of a certain age wandering round shopping centres looking puzzled at their phone when it vibrates to let them know there is a colas 'Rebecca nearby, while mumbling things like 'i only want a phone to call people' 'in my day we looked through the yellow pages to try and find a Hornby signal box'

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

ok, so how do i get a south eastern area rep's colas machine then?

take it ive got to order one from say alton models or invicta that are in the area?

The models are being sold geographically, so for the south-eastern area, you will need to order from a shop in the south-east. For the DRS 47, the northern area starts roughly on a line between the Mersey and Humber, northwards. etc. etc.

From the Bachmann trade open day in Edinburgh, today, most shops are ordering some. So please feel free to look for shops which might not be your normal source of models, they will appreciate your custom.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1