Oxford Rail 2017 announcement at London Toy Fair (24-26 Jan)

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

I've got a HR Barney and scrap tank, a CR 0-6-0T and 439 almost finished, I'm guessing that as soon as I finish one of them that will be what is announced....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

I think we need to see some more joined up thinking from Oxford. Up until now they've produced locos with nothing to pull, or stock which requires traction from other suppliers. 

Hornby and Bachmann have done quite a bit of that over the years.............

• RMweb Gold

Theres a quandary though, without a class 43, does Oxford make the hst mk3' paint matched to the Hornby class 43, but then it doesn't paint match its other mk3's, or use the same pantones, but run the risk of the coaches not matching the power cars ??

Even if they did match, it's highly unlikely Hornby could ever make their power car releases coincide with Oxford's coach releases in the same livery - they seem to have enough trouble co-ordinating their own stuff.

Looking at the price of Hornby's latest Cl.43 power cars, I suspect it's only the possibility of a Limby HST appearing in the Railroad range that's keeping Oxford from producing a more budget-orientated version of it themselves.

John

And will they make a decent job of it if they do?

Bearing in mind the simple lines of these machines, Mike, I think they'd have to try pretty hard not to. Some of their models do have issues, notably the cattle wagon but there's little in anything else they have produced of relevance to me that would stop me using it as raw material for my modelling. It's still early days for Oxford and hoped they will learn fast. Remember Bachmann's early days where they produced some howlers but quickly got a grip. Hopefully Oxford have the nous to learn and respond in the same manner.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Really hoping for something Scottish. An 812 please. Hornby would be my preferred choice, having seen the Huntley and Palmers Peckett with that Caleyesque livery , however if Oxford were to announce I'd also be very happy . How about an 86 , they have to have something to pull these Mk3s and a Caley 812.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm also predicting a class 86 to go with the Mk3.

Oxford Rail has a nucleus of wagons that represents the Scottish scene during the 20s and 30s.

They might announce a NBR J36, because some served in France during WW1,

and/or an early LNER brake van (Toad B) with wooden duckets http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/h32035615#h32035615

• Like 3

hopefully a BR blue 86/2 and then an Inter-City one to match the new Hornby 87 models.

Hopefully a tooling that can replicate all variants.  I'd offer ritual sacrifices to the Gods if they produced an as delivered AL6 in the highly stylish early corporate blue with yellow bibs and white cab windows and buff cab roof.  Plus the jumper fitted 86/3 and 4 variants which also have never been released in RTR would go nicely with the new Hornby 87.

Can't help thinking that if Oxford are not doing an 86 then the Samaritans will need to staff up for the day!

• RMweb Gold

Hornby and Bachmann have done quite a bit of that over the years.............

If either of them produce a locomotive now, they have rolling stock for it, either current or in the recent past. When was the last time that either produced a locomotive where they didnt have suitable stock for it? I'm not suggesting that it is of equal quality immediately - but they have something for it. 

And it wouldn't have to be anything near perfect to beat the incumbent anyway............. :jester:

Although perhaps unfair I really want a revised Terrier to the standard of the Hornby M7 but right now I'm hoping Oxford don't announce one as I'm not yet confident enough in their products to jump on board. However, if Hornby announced a new Terrier I'd be all over them.

It would be good to see Oxford expand their rolling stock and give their locomotives something appropriate to pull. LSWR/SR or GWR wagons and brake vans perhaps?

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann Scotrail Class 47. No Scotrail Mk2s and I suspect that there won't be any Bachmann Mk2fs to go with the DBSO.

Roddy

I bet there will. 2018 release for the DBSO and stock to match in their 2018 catalogue. They are not that mad not to do so.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

If either of them produce a locomotive now, they have rolling stock for it, either current or in the recent past. When was the last time that either produced a locomotive where they didnt have suitable stock for it? I'm not suggesting that it is of equal quality immediately - but they have something for it. 

Very recently, the Bachmann SECR liveried C Class and LBSCR liveried E4 didn't have anything of the correct era to go with them (unless you model the Bluebell Railway in which case Bulleids and Mk1s will do). There was nothing but the old ex-Mainline panelled corridors to go with their LMS locos until the Portholes came along and they are really BR coaches. I gather the ex-Mainline moulds are now defunct so the Hornby Staniers (with and without corridors)  provide the only LMS coverage in any depth now. Bachmann's WR coverage is little better but for the Auto trailer to go with the 64xx, and again, it's primarily a BR era vehicle.

Hornby have lately left Bachmann standing with good quality coaches for pretty much all group companies/regions but in the past there were no prototypical Southern coaches until the advent of the Maunsells and we SR fans had only Bachmann Bulleids to make up proper (non-Pullman) trains with.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

dont think there were very many Mk2f coaches in ScotRail livery (if meaning blue stripe).  Wasnt there just a couple of FK's in that livery so maybe not worth a run of 1000 coaches. As yet an FK has not been announced but I dare say they will cover it at some point which might allow some folk to convert them to ScotRail. 

If either of them (Bach and Hornby) produce a locomotive now, they have rolling stock for it, either current or in the recent past. When was the last time that either produced a locomotive where they didnt have suitable stock for it? I'm not suggesting that it is of equal quality immediately - but they have something for it. 

Let's be fair here. There are other manufacturers with locos and little to no matching stock for them to pull. Oxford, with four steam era wagons released after their first loco are ahead of DJM and SLW in this respect, and have announced a range of coaches. Oxford's choice of the LNER design general merchandise open means they have a wagon in their range appropriate to all standard gauge tracks in the UK where there were scheduled freight services from the grouping to BR blue. Peaking at roughly 2% of the steam era freight stock and of common user status, they went and were seen everywhere.

Now look at Bachmann and Hornby at a similar point in their trajectory, when first launching models aimed at the adult market. Bachmann staged something of a tour de force with their BR mk1 and 16T steel mineral introductions, and have gone on from that point with steady expansion of both coach ranges and freight stock by majoring on common wagons; Hornby as I recall it had a goodly tranche of the 'newly tooled in China' loco models before us before coaches to a matching standard appeared; the wooden body K type Pullman cars, and these not exactly everyday vehicles.

None of this to imply that OR's products are perfect, but credit for the right intentions is only fair: and happily the LNER six plank open is no more flawed than is typical for OO RTR wagons. So for my money their best wagon subject choice so far is also the 'plum'.

• Like 2

My stab at what I think OR will announce:

Class 86                   Strong possibility given the rumour mills

Class 81 - 84            Could be a welcome surprise

Class 89                   You just never know 

Class 47                   Although done elsewhere if done well and at a competitive price is a possibility and a core loco for the range with myriad of livery options for future releases

LNER tank               Could be a follow on from the Dean

Mk2 B/C coaches     Gap in the market though maybe be left alone as other are sure to point out Bachmann sales of Mk2z/A

GWR Toplights        Gaping gap long asked for, would be a winner for OR

Caley Steam            Pretty livery and much requested, high potential again and they could augment with the Caley 6 wheel brakevan.

More wagons           A given I would assume

Just a stab in the dark - probably totally wrong but lets see!

• RMweb Gold

My stab at what I think OR will announce:

Class 47                   Although done elsewhere if done well and at a competitive price is a possibility and a core loco for the range with myriad of livery options for future releases

Just a stab in the dark - probably totally wrong but lets see!

I would love to see a 47 done to a high standard but I fear that the existing 3 models will kill any hope of a new model. Hornby address the low end of the market so have that sewn up and the Bachmann / Heljan offerings are sufficiently close that either people do not care or modellers can fix them (and yes I know fixing the Heljan offering is not easy to fix).

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Would be unwise to quadruplicate the 47. Hornby( although not in current catalogue) can produce a cheap one, Bachmann s one to me ticks all the accuracy boxes. Glad I bought it when Bachmann were more reasonable price wise. An 86 also has 2 contenders , but one is very old and the other not up to standard, apparently. Not much else pull Mk3s. Really hope we don't get a duplicate 87, although if it's a 90 chances are they'll get it to market ahead of Bachmann