WH Smith Modelzone Birmingham closing - Now Closed

melmerby

• 3 weeks later...

My wife told me MZ had just about closed in Cardiff WHS, then I read this thread and realise this isn't sudden.

Coryton, there are a few places to get modelling paints in the centre. Antics is one. Also Pen & Paper Co in the Royal Arcade had some up until recently. On the other side of the tracks (literally) in Trade Street is Firestorm Games. Lots of different paint ranges in there.

Croydon now gone too. Three Bachmann wagons and some Oxford Diecast on one remaining shelf. The outlet centre in the old Allders store has a small area with a concession selling off remaining stocks bought from the original Modelzone - there's only random bits left, pretty useless if you are off the street and want to either buy a model kit and paints or a model railway but there are niche items at bargain prices - I've been stocking up on proper modeller's masking tape at 50p a roll every time I pop in.

It does mean that Croydon joins the list of fairly sizeable towns with absolutely no retail presence for any kind of modelling. 

• RMweb Premium

Coryton, there are a few places to get modelling paints in the centre. Antics is one. Also Pen & Paper Co in the Royal Arcade had some up until recently. On the other side of the tracks (literally) in Trade Street is Firestorm Games. Lots of different paint ranges in there.

Yes I usually get paint from Antics. Or Pen and Paper if I'm in a rush and don't have time to walk to Antics. Both are very good shops, and both sell Vallejo paints which are my favourite (for brush painting).

I don't think either sell Humbrol acrylics (Antics certainly doesn't) and I think overall that is no great loss (I was told Antics stopped selling them because they got too many complaints) but I do find the Humbrol acrylic primer works well for me.

Didn't know about Firestorm Games - it looks a bit out of the way - but there is Games Workshop in a more central location and I gather their paints are good for modelling if you can get over the strange names for the colours. Friendly staff too, the one time I popped in to see what they had.

• RMweb Premium

Rather strangely the WHS in Brum has restocked some of it's Oxford Diecast range, still BOGOF.

(Sent in from smaller WHS Modelzone branches maybe?)

Bought a pair of traction/showmen's engines which I couldn't do when it was still Modelzone due to lack of stock!

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Archived