Heljan steam locos

gpplumy

hi guys, just a general query today following a 009 meeting, 

Discussion turned to the upcoming Heljan l and b locos. A few people were saying they dont hold much hope for the loco due to other Heljan steamers not being brilliant. I dont own any myself so i was wondering peoples general opinions of models they own. 

thanks all 

• RMweb Gold

I've got 3, 1 each of the Garrett, 02 & 1369. (I've had 6 altogether), 3 Garratts, 2x 1369, O2, so far the only one I had issue with was the 1369, which it's replacement is fine. I only let 2 garratts go just because I really didn't need 3.

I have a good opinion of them, the haulage capabilities of them are impressive, indeed the 02 is so strong it outpulls both my Bachmann 04 and the Hornby 01 together to the point it looks embarrassing.

I hope they do more.

I own one O2/3, and am hoping to buy the 02/2 and 02/1 variants.

Overall appearance and major dimensions: it looks right, because it is right, the character is all there.

Detail and Finish: one error which verges on the comic, the railings on the stepped tender front different lengths either side; and the lack of a fallplate and incorrect interior detail on the backhead are weaknesses. Paint is fine, but plain black is hardly challenging! Good glazing: clear, fits well, no glue marks.

Construction: Adequate; it does have to be treated carefully, much as you would a hand assembled kit in my opinion. No judgement possible as yet on longevity, but the best part of a year's trouble free running in near daily use is typically  an indicator that the model will last well.

Mechanism performance: excellent quiet running from a smooth dead slow crawl to a realistic maximum speed; and it is heavy so as already mentioned it is comfortably the best UK eight coupled freight tender type available for pulling power. No trouble at all with track holding, but mine has seen nothing more severe than a 30" minimum radius and the Peco Streamline medium rad. point.

Overall I like it, and enough to buy the early parts of the class when they go on sale. If there is one feature I would point at as 'classy', it's the pony truck wheelset. It's the correct form, and modelled at scale tyre diameter - unusually small at 32" nominal - and accurately represents the thick rim and tyre, large diameter hub boss, and the resulting very short spokes: a much shallower then normal flange has been used to avoid any 'pizza-cutter' effect. Neat job Heljan.

I dont  think  you need  worry  about  the  quality  or  the  L&B 2-6-2,  It is  inevitable  that   you  will hear  & read all the  stories  of  the  poor  performers, but  believe me    there  are  thousands   of  Heljan  Locos  out  there   performing  as  they  should  do.

It  is  worth  reminding  you  also  that  Heljan  manufacture  some very   good  Continental Outline  locos  in  H0  Pricey  but  brilliant

Archived