Rue d'Abbeville

ffayolle

Fabrice, Bonne Annee!

You've been busy. The changing ground levels on the scenic board are particularly effective - I like that!

Track's looking good too. Are the flangeway standards as GOG-F or 0-MF or "different in France"?

Best

Simon

I like this a lot. The compound point (I think that's what it is?) and crossing make it both compact and interesting.

Dava

Thank you!!! The size of this layout is 2,70m X 0,50m.

Three Way Point maybe?

Edited by ffayolle

Hi all of you,

Some others pictures : 

The other side !!!

post-3358-0-42660200-1484498909_thumb.jpg

I've developped an Arduino program to do an automatic circuit with Digitrax Loconet. I built some DCC diode detection PCB.

post-3358-0-03757100-1484498990_thumb.jpg

Peter on the "Yoyo"

post-3358-0-91127000-1484499027_thumb.jpg

Be seeing you, Fabrice

• Like 12

There's lots of comment on the Templot forum and other places about this. It probably* isn't a "three way point", but a "tandem"

Three way points have the crossings opposite one another and are typically used in yards, bit rough & ready.

* almost certainly!

Best

Simon

Hi Fabrice
This is looking very good and I'm interested to see that you're using L girder construction for a portable layout. Will you be exhibiting it this year?

Do you think more French modellers are now building shunting layouts

You do make me very ashamed of my "explosion in a spaghetti factory" wiring

There's lots of comment on the Templot forum and other places about this. It probably* isn't a "three way point", but a "tandem"

Three way points have the crossings opposite one another and are typically used in yards, bit rough & ready.

* almost certainly!

Best
Simon

Hi Simon
Fabrice can probably confirm this but most references I've seen to three ways in French refer to them as Une Aiguillage Triple sometimes more precisly with what you're calling a tandem Une Aiguillage Triple Asymètrique and the type with opposite crossings Une Aiguillage Triple Symètrique.  This does seem more logical than giving them completely different names and Aiguillage is far more elegant than the clumsy Switches and Crossing

I have sometimes seen references to Un Branchement Trois Voies but again Symètrique or Asymètrique.  as abbreviated in this list from the 1950s of all the pointwork for the old Bastille terminus in Paris.

post-6882-0-96422800-1485965188_thumb.jpg

The symmetrical triple highlighted accessed the three tracks of the small annexe traction -locomotive sub shed.

In the listing for each piece Tg refers to the crossing angle as a tangent and AFAIK this would be the simple reciprocal of the crossing or frog number. In the list a couple of releasing crossovers were still original C.F. de l' Est pointwork with crossing angles expressed in degrees and minutes.

Edited by Pacific231G

David

Thanks for the info - "aiguille" (needle) always strikes me as a strange root (assuming it is, of course) for "aiguillage" (turnout?), but I have to admit that my French is both rusty, and more aligned to the auto industry (and yarning in the bar over a "demi" or two) than the railway industry (even though I did work for Lucas Girling way back in the days when they supplied brake discs for the TGV-A).

"Branchement" seems more logical, to me at least. 3 voies, symetrique, ou, asymetrique, likewise, and certainly more logical than the English "Tandem".

There was a discussion regarding 3-way pointwork on the Templot forum. Certainly in the U.K., the symmetric 3-way seems to be a real rarity.

Cordialement

Simon

David

Thanks for the info - "aiguille" (needle) always strikes me as a strange root (assuming it is, of course) for "aiguillage" (turnout?), but I have to admit that my French is both rusty, and more aligned to the auto industry (and yarning in the bar over a "demi" or two) than the railway industry (even though I did work for Lucas Girling way back in the days when they supplied brake discs for the TGV-A).

"Branchement" seems more logical, to me at least. 3 voies, symetrique, ou, asymetrique, likewise, and certainly more logical than the English "Tandem".

There was a discussion regarding 3-way pointwork on the Templot forum. Certainly in the U.K., the symmetric 3-way seems to be a real rarity.

Cordialement

Simon

Hi Simon

Symmetric three ways seem to have been quite widely used in France in situations such as hump yards and from the Bastille listing were clearly a fairly standard item.

I do find French railway terminology particularlty interesting because, unlike American or German terms, much of it seems to derive directly from the terms used by British railway engineers at the time when they were building the earliest public railways in France. I suppose it's a bit like all the American terms adopted by the London Underground from when they were being financed by US promoters. OTOH It's also quite interesting to find terms like gare or rame that have a subtly different meaning from their usual English translations.

From everyday French Aiguille is normally translated as needle but it can mean point so what we always called points became Aiguilles meaning the actual point blades and aiguillage for the whole switch assembly or even the whole thing. Though branchement is the official term for a turnout, Aiguilles still seems to be the vernacular term just as the word points is in Britain. I'm not sure whether aiguillage is also used to refer to pointwork more generally. There is a more generic official term Appareil de voie that covers points, crossings, and slips but also derailers (used more commonly than trap points) and the expansion joints used for CWR but I can't find a single English word that means quite the same. Appareil de voie is a bit of a mouthful but not nearly as clumsy as "Switches and Crossings" (why not just use the word pointwork to generalise and then more specific words when requred) I think I'll wait a long time to hear. "Trains are delayed because of switch and crossing failure in the Croydon area."

I do rather like coeur de croisement (heart of the crossing) to differentiate from the crossing as a whole, far more elegant than frog.  

Edited by Pacific231G

Hi all of you,

Thanks for your comments

In progress

post-3358-0-54186200-1486205766_thumb.jpg

I use Fast tracks system to move turnout, pointwork, aiguillage, scambio, weichen.

Aiguille = Point blade

Pointe de coeur = Frog

Aiguillage = Pointwork or Turnout(US)

Appareil de voie = Switches and crossings

Be seeing you...

Fabrice

Edited by ffayolle
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work Fabrice, sounds like you are a bit like me; make the track standards whatever works with your stock. I decreased the size of the crossing gap from recommended when I first obtained some British f/s wheels.

The track looks nice, particularly the 3 way point. I had the use of some Fast tracks tools when I built my last code 100 O gauge points. Makes the job so much easier.

I see you have a DT300? Never seen one in real life as the DT400's were the only one's on offer when I decided to get a programming throttle. I mainly use UT4's with my Zephyr.

cheers

Bob Comerford

Australia