MRJ 252

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

If everybody treated every thread the way you good people treat the MRJ threads it would kill RMWeb within a few days.

It is, frankly, pathetic.

And yet you have both read and commented on this thread...

I would have thought that people were getting the hang of this by now - there's a "pre-publication" thread for those of us who like this sort of thing; and the post-publication "incredibly serious" thread for those of us who like that sort of thing. Some of us - and whisper this quietly - like both!

Perhaps we should further formalise the thread naming conventions. There should be the "MRJ xxx Pre-publication Thread - WARNING - may contain silliness" and then the "MRJ xxx Incredibly Serious Discussion of Contents Only" thread. Hopefully that would avoid any confusion and help keep some people's blood pressure in check.

Is there any truth in the rumour that we will never see a copy of MRJ252? Apparently Little Bytham is featured and all copies have been pre-ordered by a certain TW?

(With sincere apologies to Tony, the gentleman that he is).

Stewart

Shades of the record companies in the sixties....

Dave Franks

Happy to take part.

Is there any truth in the rumour that we will never see a copy of MRJ252? Apparently Little Bytham is featured and all copies have been pre-ordered by a certain TW?

(With sincere apologies to Tony, the gentleman that he is).

Stewart

I heard a rumour that only 7 copies of MRJ252 are to be printed.

Allegedly, 5 golden tickets went out in random copies of MRJ251, each to be exchanged for a copy of MRJ252 following a magical tour of the MRJ headquarters.  The other two are on sale in Haverfordwest!

Cheers,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

A they used to say at work, if you can't take a joke, don't join.

We also had the bloke at work who, despite the fact he only knew one joke which wasn't particularly funny first time round, insisted on repeating it over and over again.

I'm with t b g, this constantly repeated thread has become pathetic. Most people who have anything interesting to say have given up bothering to read or contribute to MRJ threads, as soon as the mag appears the thread goes silent. The patronisingly titled "incredibly serious" thing isn't the answer. If you want to constantly repeat dreary comments about Smiths and sausages start a thread entitled "not very witty comments repeated ad nausium" or something like that and leave the MRJ thread to those who want to share and discuss the contents.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

A couple of points.

Firstly, a thread on this MRJ had already been locked. A second thread was started and I opened it up in a forlorn hope that it might be about MRJ.

Secondly, If the thread title had been "Childish sausage jokes" or "W H Smith branches I have visited"  then I wouldn't have opened it and wouldn't have commented.

I had this strange idea that just for once, a thread entitled MRJ might actually be about MRJ. What an error on my part.

Some of these comments were vaguely amusing first time around. As Queensquare says, when they appear on each thread, as regular as clockwork, MRJ thread after MRJ thread, they stopped being remotely funny several years ago and are now just plain irritating.

All that will happen is that each and every MRJ thread will end up being locked. Perhaps that is what some people are hoping for. 

I enjoy a good joke as much as the next person. These are not good jokes! If anybody has any new ones, preferably ones that are actually funny, I will chuckle along with everybody else.

Having said that, anybody who has heard my jokes could well question the validity of anything I say about humour!

As for Frank, I am sure he understands.

Perhaps the issue is that none of these MRJ *** issue threads are ever started by anyone actually in possession of whichever applicable issue, and the opening post seldom along the lines of,

"Having just read through MRJ issue***....",  "Very interesting article on ??? in the latest MRJ, I'd quite like to know if..."  etc etc etc.

Thus over a period of time these MRJ threads have become more of a whimsical countdown to the eventual availability of the beloved journal, over a 'serious' discussion of the magazine and its contents.  Any serious content or editorial issues would presumably be better off fed back to the magazine editors themselves, rather than bemoaned to a group of anonymous internet beings who can do little about any one's discomfort.  And besides, we all know how thoroughly excellent MRJ is, so do we need to say anything more than that?   I'd imagine the reason the thread goes silent once the latest issue appears is that we're all sitting fat, dumb and happy, filling our brains with the latest journal treats, content with another interesting issue.

Quite frankly I'd rather read light hearted posts about sausages or the WH Smiths in Hetton-on-Studley not yet stocking the latest MRJ, than go through the endless, "not enough diesel", "why no feature on Norfolk narrow gauge again", or "not enough technical diagrams of George Stephensons' first methods of track production", or the tiresome, "nothing of interest for me in this issue (great - thanks for that!)" posts that seem to beleaguer the other magazine publication threads.

Here's to more sausages (and that's coming from a Vegetarian (a starter for 10?))

Paul

We also had the bloke at work who, despite the fact he only knew one joke which wasn't particularly funny first time round, insisted on repeating it over and over again.

I'm with t b g, this constantly repeated thread has become pathetic. Most people who have anything interesting to say have given up bothering to read or contribute to MRJ threads, as soon as the mag appears the thread goes silent. The patronisingly titled "incredibly serious" thing isn't the answer. If you want to constantly repeat dreary comments about Smiths and sausages start a thread entitled "not very witty comments repeated ad nausium" or something like that and leave the MRJ thread to those who want to share and discuss the contents.

Jerry

Right on Jerry - couldn't agree more!

Gerry

Archived