Parish End - Banana Van

martin.a.ball

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martin,

Belatedly welcome to the world of 7mm!  Great time to be getting involved, and plenty of great folks around on here to offer help and advice where you need it.  Look forward to seeing how you progress, I have one of the Minerva Peckett models too (with sound!) and I can honestly say hearing that made me change my mind that high quality realistic sound on DCC was very doable.  Until then I hadn't been convinced - well worth taking the leap, and its not as daunting as it seems, my only advice would be to take the jump sooner rather than later for two reasons. A) You'll say afterwards, why didn't I do this earlier, and b) starting while you only have one or two locos to chip is easier and cheaper!

As your taking locos to run on other layouts, you can (I gather) set the chip to allow normal DC operation too - not my field of expertise as I don't need it, but I'm sure plenty on here will offer help and Paul Chetter is very approachable and friendly.

Look forward to following your progress, do keep us all up to date!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

@Rich

Thanks for the comments. I'm very much of the same opinion, whilst I'm most likely to do pointwork and signals as wire in tube, I am intrigued by digital sound. I'm considering putting a sound chip and stay alive in the Peckett and getting a cheap controller, then as I add more locos I can upgrade if needed.

Running as a guest on the garden railway isn't an issue as it is wired for both DC and DCC (Digitrax).

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Whilst I'm still figuring out how to use the traverser I was gifted, I discovered by happy coincidence that a old traverser I had built for a 4mm project was a perfect fit at the left hand end of the garage. Peco rail glued direct to the ply deck, with joints soldered to brass screws. I'll use a dremmel cutter to release the rails and then I have some brass bolts to fit to manage alignment.

post-3684-0-55834100-1504517949_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

First attempt at a Parkside Dundas wagon kit which was enjoyable to put together. The brake gear was fiddly but I'm guessing that gets easier with practice.

post-3684-0-06976200-1513022756_thumb.jpg

Still need to add some weight, then the roof can be glued down. Also need to buy something to blacken the couplings and add the vacuum pipes. Then she'll be off to the paint shop.

• Like 3