I did put a post on the Bachmann 66779 thread as to what the size of the bell is. Didn't get any response. There are various ships bell's made by Billings Boats and Robbe. Here is what I consider to be the best shape of bell. However it gives the diameter as 14mm. As I model in N, I have no OO at home to try and make a comparison.

One for sale here, actually they come as a pair

.http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14568

Scratch building brackets wouldn't be too diificult.

post-31106-0-38007500-1518725053.jpg

I did put a post on the Bachmann 66779 thread as to what the size of the bell is. Didn't get any response. There are various ships bell's made by Billings Boats and Robbe. Here is what I consider to be the best shape of bell. However it gives the diameter as 14mm. As I model in N, I have no OO at home to try and make a comparison.

At least that looks more like the correct shape.  The bracket could be formed from a scrap piece of brass strip, or similar, as the moulded plastic one is way too thick. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Alas 14mm - just over half an inch - diameter might be a tad large for OO

Interesting website though so thanks for posting the link.

This may be the right size though:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bell-Dummy-Long-Brass-Gauge-N-1-160-LF2-A-/382327311236

Price is a bit steep though - and you would need to cut off the mounting shaft.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43

• RMweb Premium

I think a suitable size of styrene, using a mini drill as a lathe and shaping with a file will be my solution.

And another scrap of styrene for the mount.

Then it will need painting.

Unfortunately, the above means doing some actual modelling......................

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately, the above means doing some actual modelling......................

Cheers,

Mick

Oh no the horror of us having to do some actual modelling. You’ll do very well Mick but how will most of the modelling community cope with such a task?

Does anyone think this now sort of de-values the Locomotion Class 66 (apart from the gloss paint job and costing £176.50 incl. delivery) with Rails now offering a brass bell set as per link below;

https://railsofsheffield.com/pair-of-brass-bells-with-brackets-for-the-class-66779-evening-star-locomotive-JJJA35567?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=98b0dbdfce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_05_09&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-98b0dbdfce-5491421

I'm sort of on the fence but maybe this brass bell set should just been kept on the Locomotion release?

Whether Rails selling the bell devalues the Locomotion version has become irrelevant as the Rails separate bell at £9 something sold out within a  few days.  At the time  I thought it was a  bit expensive  and didn't buy one but within a nano second it is page 404 no where to be seen , which perhaps suggests demand for bells even those that are not a very accurate reproduction of the real thing outstrips supply!   

What do you think of these?

Done to measurements, rather than just some random bell or vague guess.

The thicker ones are options for more strength or to be scaled down to N. I can also get the totally accurate one with a thin metal support arm so that its the correct thickness and strong. And they can come painted green and brass coloured too.

Rob

https://www.shapeway...bobsbitsandbobs

post-30092-0-24775400-1519294890_thumb.jpg

post-30092-0-01788900-1519294901_thumb.jpg

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 4

The thicker ones are options for more strength or to be scaled down to N. I can also get the totally accurate one with a thin metal support arm so that its the correct thickness and strong. And they can come painted green and brass coloured too.

Rob

Impressive! Looks wonderful.

Rob

Fantastic, that first one on the left looks perfect or prototypical and would purchase that one.

How are you getting these made and how are you going to be taking orders if you go ahead with these?

Fantastic, that first one on the left looks perfect or prototypical and would purchase that one.

How are you getting these made and how are you going to be taking orders if you go ahead with these?

Thank you! Either from my shapeways shop, available;

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/bobsbitsandbobs

or via the model centre TMC. I can sell 3d printed parts made to finer tolerances if its done via TMC actually as shapeways don't let you put very delicate things for sale on their shopping platform if they're thinner than 0.3mm. Via TMC I can even send different thicknesses in a pack. Or offer them fitted.

I hear Bachmann won the No-bel prize for the standard range version's design! (-:

Edited by How about a Dictator Loco Class?
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just wanted to say I have my Locomotion 66 and it is a lovely model as others have said. Gloss finish looks amazing, Printing is excellent. Busy being run in around the lounge carpet on my Roco Geoline! Very smooth and quiet, better than my other 66's. Very pleased. Well done Locomotion :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I keep reading about Evening Stars Bell when every video I've seen of this loco shows it with a bell at each end.

Last year at Alexandra Palace Bachmann had this model on show in a glass case with all of there upcoming releases. It was the first time I had seen this Loco and was impressed with the Bells on it and expected it to come with them. I was very Disappointed and disgusted when it arrived, without the bells it is just another class 66 (nothing special) I wish I had Photographed the one in the case because I think Bachmann are guilty of miss representation. I know that you can get bells from Rails but they are wrong and ugly and make the loco look like a toy and not a model.

The best place for this one is Ebay.

And if anyone doesn't like reading about this topic then don't read it

I assume that this has sold considering it's showing as zero stock and has done since release on the Locomotion website.

Cheers

Yep showing 0 stock on Locomotion so would safely assume it has sold out unless some pre-orders don't get sold and these come back online, you should give them a call if you want  to find out the current status or try to purchase one.

Well done to NRM & Bachmann for a popular model.

• RMweb Gold

I assume that this has sold considering it's showing as zero stock and has done since release on the Locomotion website.

Cheers

Despite appearances, I suspect that's highly unlikely. I just added one to my basket successfully, and walked halfway through checkout to test it. All successful.

I imagine they've simply omitted so far to tell their stock system how many they have, perhaps whilst they sort preorders out.

If you want one, I'd say go ahead and buy one. They'll soon refund you if I'm wrong (they're a reliable outfit)

Cheers

Rob