MRJ 252

Adams442T

At the risk of creating a disturbance, when is MRJ 253 due out, please?

Cheers,

David

Phoned Cygnet Publications yesterday about another matter and learnt that MRJ 253 had just arrived. So I suspect subscription copies are winging their way to people now,

Hope this qualifies as sensible information :O 

Apologies if this is a bit late on issue 252 but I have just been given a copy.

I was rather alarmed to read the Martyn Welch article on weathering and to see his use of Casey's metal black on the chassis. These chemicals are labelled as very toxic and even allowing for a degree of American paranoia they should be used with care. I always wear latex gloves and work in a disposable plastic tray in a sink and everything gets a damn good wash after I'm done so that no traces remain. I am assuming that MW does not put a loco chassis under the tap?

I would advise anybody about to follow in his footsteps to think carefully about how they will deal with this hazard. Personally I only blacken parts, wire etc before fitting them to a model so that they can be carefully washed to remove any residue.

Chaz

....rather alarmed to read the Martyn Welch article on weathering and to see his use of Casey's metal black on the chassis. These chemicals are labelled as very toxic and even allowing for a degree of American paranoia they should be used with care. I always wear latex gloves and work in a disposable plastic tray in a sink and everything gets a damn good wash after I'm done so that no traces remain. I am assuming that MW does not put a loco chassis under the tap?

I would advise anybody about to follow in his footsteps to think carefully about how they will deal with this hazard. Personally I only blacken parts, wire etc before fitting them to a model so that they can be carefully washed to remove any residue.

I think Ultrascale also warn against using chemical blackeners on their wheel tyres; I recall discussion in the past that they could cause the tyres to crack / fracture.

Right, so who's going to start the MRJ 253 thread as a placeholder until the mag actually gets here?

None of us dare do that now that there are serious MRJ threads going on, and anyway 252 is not available in my local WHS

D S Gusted

Ealing

• RMweb Gold

Right, so who's going to start the MRJ 253 thread as a placeholder until the mag actually gets here?

Blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.......!!

Phew! Back to normal  (For an MRJ thread). Is it safe for a non serious contribution now?

Only if you want the Serious Gang to shut the thread down.

What we need is a "Bored and Rambling" thread*, not linked to any particular issue, for hyperbolic comment and "merriment".  Then we can mark the passing of the seasons and proposed publication dates, and so forth without danger of upsetting the Serious and Studious commentators who will educate us about the content of the Magazine, month by month.

I suppose it would be the equivalent of a padded cell, but perhaps it would be for the best........

* Temporary placeholder title until something better comes along.

• RMweb Gold

I was rather alarmed to read the Martyn Welch article on weathering and to see his use of Casey's metal black on the chassis. These chemicals are labelled as very toxic and even allowing for a degree of American paranoia they should be used with care. I always wear latex gloves and work in a disposable plastic tray in a sink and everything gets a damn good wash after I'm done so that no traces remain. I am assuming that MW does not put a loco chassis under the tap?

Chaz

Where am I going wrong?

post-14122-0-99170600-1487317016.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Chaz

Well, Martyn does post on here now and then, so hopefully he will be able to offer some comments on this.

Birchwood Casey Gun Blue is widely available and has been used by domestic users for years. It is no more dangerous than many widely used domestic fluids.

It is not flammable.

It contains selenium dioxide in an acidic solution.

Selenium compounds can be toxic if ingested in sufficient quantities.

The main risks to the domestic user are due to the corrosive nature of the solution but it's no worse than caustic materials like oven cleaner or Nitromors. It is not as acidic as battery acid.

Its safe use is common sense. Don't drink it or inhale the vapours (not that it gives off much). It can strongly irritate and damage the mucous membranes in the respiratory tract, nose, mouth and throat. Keep it off your skin, wear gloves ideally, and wash your hands after use. Don't eat or smoke whilst using it.

The bottle displays the widely discredited 'contains a chemical known in the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects'. Living in California seems to expose you to risks unknown elsewhere. See 11.5 and 11.6 on the safety data sheet below.

Here is the link to the product safety data sheet, read it in the knowledge that risks are never underplayed on these things and in the tiny amounts used by modellers are negligible.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/getattachment/53524855-b655-4e39-8794-955ecc154b58/Super-Blue%E2%84%A2-Liquid-Gun-Blue.aspx

Thanks for your very useful posting, including the link to the data sheet.

"Here is the link to the product safety data sheet, read it in the knowledge that risks are never underplayed on these things and in the tiny amounts used by modellers are negligible."

I take your point but I do think it is best to treat it as a very nasty chemical - I use it but I keep it (literally) at arms length and I certainly never use it for anything that I can't later wash with plenty of water to remove all traces. I stand by my original point - I wouldn't wash loco's underframes, with the motor, wheels etc in place, under the tap so that would (for me) rule out MW's techniques. Now if you dismantle first and do the bits separately and then wash them - fine.

Call me paranoid if you like but there are risks that I won't neglect.

Chaz

Archived