MRJ 252

Adams442T

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of creating a disturbance, when is MRJ 253 due out, please?

Cheers,

David

In stock here in Larkhall and no doubt winging its way to those that have etc.

A spectacularly modern loco on the cover, James Wells's state of the art (Petroleum Sector?) Bachmann Class 37, with a full and illustrated article on how he did it inside. Edited by Barry Norman, this issue also features Peter Kirkmond on layout lighting with LEDS, Alan Brackenborough scratchbuilding some very nice GWR coaches, a Standard 3 tank in P4 for Sidmouth and Martyn Welch is still weathering his Terrier, presumably not having dropped down dead after using Birchwood Casey in the last issue.  Oh and there are a decent number of letters too, including one showing a lovely scratchbuilt Beattie Well tank.

Simon

Who will be at Narrow Gauge South West tomorrow, with lots of books and MRJs too.

• RMweb Gold

In stock here in Larkhall and no doubt winging its way to those that have etc.

A spectacularly modern loco on the cover, James Wells's state of the art (Petroleum Sector?) Bachmann Class 37, with a full and illustrated article on how he did it inside. Edited by Barry Norman, this issue also features Peter Kirkmond on layout lighting with LEDS, Alan Brackenborough scratchbuilding some very nice GWR coaches, a Standard 3 tank in P4 for Sidmouth and Martyn Welch is still weathering his Terrier, presumably not having dropped down dead after using Birchwood Casey in the last issue.  Oh and there are a decent number of letters too, including one showing a lovely scratchbuilt Beattie Well tank.

Simon

Who will be at Narrow Gauge South West tomorrow, with lots of books and MRJs too.

Splendid news, I shall pick up a copy tomorrow. 

You can of course see both Barry Norman and Martyn Welch at the Warminster Finescale show in June this year - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118457-mmrg-warminster-show-june-17-2017/

Jerry

I tend to blacken chassis and wheels prior to final fitting of the mechanical parts.

Very wise - but that is not applicable with RTR is it? Many will be reluctant to dismantle a RTR chassis.

Chaz

"I was brought up in the fifties, as I suspect we're most of you reading this. My childhood memories of those postwar years...": Barry Norman, editorial.

Not me, born in the mid 60s, my childhood memories really start in the early 70s. Is the main readership of MRJ really a good 15 years or so older than me?

"I was brought up in the fifties, as I suspect we're most of you reading this. My childhood memories of those postwar years...": Barry Norman, editorial.

Not me, born in the mid 60s, my childhood memories really start in the early 70s. Is the main readership of MRJ really a good 15 years or so older than me?

No - I'm a couple of years younger than you, and I've been reading MRJ since I found Issue 0 in the Ian Allan bookshop above Birmingham New Street station as a teenager...

Cheers

Flymo

• RMweb Premium

No - I'm a couple of years younger than you, and I've been reading MRJ since I found Issue 0 in the Ian Allan bookshop above Birmingham New Street station as a teenager...

Cheers

Flymo

Ditto, I bought No. 1 in W H Smith when an undergraduate. My No. 0 is the reprint...

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

Flymo

I suspect this is a lots of people's "Kennedy assassination" moment - can you remember where you where and what you were doing when you saw your first MRJ? For me it was on a rainy Saturday afternoon in February 1986, and it was in WHS in Wantage. It was number 5, with one of Chris Croft's wagons on the cover; and I knew from that moment my life was never going to be the same again...

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect this is a lots of people's "Kennedy assassination" moment - can you remember where you where and what you were doing when you saw your first MRJ? ....

Actually it wasn't the regular MRJ that I first saw in WHS Swiss Cottage, but the first MRJ Compendium back in 1986.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect this is a lots of people's "Kennedy assassination" moment - can you remember where you where and what you were doing when you saw your first MRJ? For me it was on a rainy Saturday afternoon in February 1986, and it was in WHS in Wantage. It was number 5, with one of Chris Croft's wagons on the cover; and I knew from that moment my life was never going to be the same again...

No1. I was in W H Smiths in Queen Street Cardiff.

Rob.

When MRJ first appeared, I had long abandoned model railways for other pastimes; the usual sort of things like keeping a dodgy car on the road, women, photography......  You know.  So I can't claim accquaintance from a low issue number.

When I came back to the hobby, I restarted with occasional copies of something I knew from the past, "Railway Modeller", followed by the (as far as I was concerned) new-fangled general mags like MR, Hornby and BRM.  I was aware of MRJ, but on the occasions that I looked at the contents in WHS, it struck me as elitist and well above my current level!  However, times (and attitudes) change and MRJ now takes its place amonst the mags I get as valuable source materials for best practice,  ingenuity and deep background.

When MRJ first appeared, I had long abandoned model railways for other pastimes; the usual sort of things like keeping a dodgy car on the road, women, photography......  You know.  So I can't claim accquaintance from a low issue number.

When I came back to the hobby, I restarted with occasional copies of something I knew from the past, "Railway Modeller", followed by the (as far as I was concerned) new-fangled general mags like MR, Hornby and BRM.  I was aware of MRJ, but on the occasions that I looked at the contents in WHS, it struck me as elitist and well above my current level!  However, times (and attitudes) change and MRJ now takes its place amonst the mags I get as valuable source materials for best practice,  ingenuity and deep background.

The OED definition of Elitist - "A select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society".

While some may consider that to be true of the original contributors to MRJ, as they were leading the way in creating exceptional models, I don't believe that any of them thought they belonged to an elite. I was fortunate to meet/know several and they were all very nice, "ordinary" people who simply wanted to make better, more accurate models and were happy to share their experience with others. 

Elitist is generally used as a perjorative term. Suggesting a kind of inverse snobbery and that those 'better' than me look down on me.

You can be a member of an elite, somebody with exceptional skills or talent, and still be humble with others.

MRJ might have built its reputation featuring the talents of elite modellers, those with exceptional skills, but I've never considered it elitist in that perjorative sense.

It's a showcase for the best of modelling, admire it, aspire to it; nothing more, nothing less.

I'm damned sure that nobody involved with MRJ intends to disparage the efforts of others.

• RMweb Gold

; the usual sort of things like keeping a dodgy car on the road, women, photography...... You know. So I can't claim accquaintance from a low issue number.

I misread that as 'women photography'......more than enough to divert most of us from railway modelling I suspect..

As for elitist, the beauty of MRJ for me was the overall higher standard of modelling contained within, under one roof as it were. If anything this encouraged the other monthlies to raise their game, to include similar content albeit whilst maintaining those articles aimed at the more mainstream modeller.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

MRJ now takes its place amonst the mags I get as valuable source materials for best practice,  ingenuity and deep background.

There's a book out by Paul Bambrick for that kind of thing now.

PS. And John Ellis-Cockell, sorry about that.

Archived