Oxford Rail announces Warwells

mikeharvey22

It looks like a totally different colour to Hatton's MS. 1. I assume Hattons has the more accurate model but I do like the chains on the Oxford one

Both do MS1, colours aside, the buffers are different too. One of them has to be wrong. Need a photo of MS1 to resolve it.

• RMweb Gold

Well on the colour front it looks a similar shade to the tank so not dark green like the Hattons one but then the Oxford one looks very light so maybe a light grey weathering on the Hattons one and a dark wash on the Oxford one? :)

• RMweb Gold

If MS.1 was in service for a long time* it may have carried more than one livery or faded. I guess it is also possible it had different buffers fitted at some stage, but without photographic evidence it is hard to say.

Roy

* I have no idea how long it lasted.

• RMweb Gold

having looked at the pictures of both manufacturers models it would appear neither have done the widened deck for modern tracked vehicles so hopefully someone will do a set of etches to rectify this.

Have you seen a photo of the Oxford modern MOD ones? They are listed as revised deck tooling.

Anyone able to colourise the promo shots?

In order to colourise the photo, you need to know what colour it was in the first place. If they were the same as tank colours, then Bronze green early WWII and Olive Green (US derived) late.

There is scant info on actual colour it seems. Hattons seems to have gone for a dark grey, Oxford a light green. Neither fit in with UK WWII military colours but then they might not have been.

Once under railway control, any repaint would doubtless be what ever that company painted wagons in.

I feel like those of us who have at least some knowledge of WW2 activity on the railways need to make some sort of dedicated website of our collective knowledge, information is so b***** hard to come by. Having said that, with such few photos and information around, there is also little proof to disprove some of the running activety on my layout ;) maybe a Merchant Navy DID take troops from South West to South East and nobody documented it :P

I feel like those of us who have at least some knowledge of WW2 activity on the railways need to make some sort of dedicated website of our collective knowledge, information is so b***** hard to come by. Having said that, with such few photos and information around, there is also little proof to disprove some of the running activety on my layout ;) maybe a Merchant Navy DID take troops from South West to South East and nobody documented it :P

Troop movements themselves were well documented by the military themselves and can be found today in the PRO.

Late war, they generally did not keep much in the South East except deception units to fool Hitle into thinking DD was to be Calais.

There may have been troop movements at the end of 1944, early 45 once some harbours had been liberated.

Its been done

http://www.ww2rsg.org.uk/ World War Two Railway Study Group

Paul

having looked at the pictures of both manufacturers models it would appear neither have done the widened deck for modern tracked vehicles so hopefully someone will do a set of etches to rectify this.

The Modern version isn't out until Q4

Ian_B

Well, these don't look half bad.  Can it be that Oxford Rail has avoided serious error on this occasion?

I certainly would not condemn it because of a feature it has that its rival lacks, i.e the chains. They do look a little chunky, but, should they prove over-scale - after all, this is a Sherman tank we're talking about, not the anchor of the Great Eastern - I am sure that replacing them with finer chain would be relatively simple.  That simply puts the model on a level with its chainless rival, so hardly counts as a demerit.  

That leaves the buffer heads, which might need replacing. But it seems that Oxford might be able to deal with this, having produced the correct buffers.  If so, a minor problem becomes no problem.

So far, however, given the very significant price advantage over its rival, I have to say that the Oxford version is looking like a pretty sensible choice!

• Like 1

Well, these don't look half bad.  Can it be that Oxford Rail has avoided serious error on this occasion?

I certainly would not condemn it because of a feature it has that its rival lacks, i.e the chains. They do look a little chunky, but, should they prove over-scale - after all, this is a Sherman tank we're talking about, not the anchor of the Great Eastern - I am sure that replacing them with finer chain would be relatively simple.  That simply puts the model on a level with its chainless rival, so hardly counts as a demerit.  

That leaves the buffer heads, which might need replacing. But it seems that Oxford might be able to deal with this, having produced the correct buffers.  If so, a minor problem becomes no problem.

So far, however, given the very significant price advantage over its rival, I have to say that the Oxford version is looking like a pretty sensible choice!

I'm told that the Oxford model does actually come with the correct style of buffers, it's just that they are included inside the box & hence need swapping over, strange that they didn't fit the correct pattern in the first place, unless of course Oxford have a photo of the wagon in later life with oval buffers fitted. I personally went for the Hattons version, preferring their shade of green & no over scale chains. other than that, I don't think that's there's any difference between the two versions.

I'm told that the Oxford model does actually come with the correct style of buffers, it's just that they are included inside the box & hence need swapping over, strange that they didn't fit the correct pattern in the first place, unless of course Oxford have a photo of the wagon in later life with oval buffers fitted. I personally went for the Hattons version, preferring their shade of green & no over scale chains. other than that, I don't think that's there's any difference between the two versions.

Thanks.  That's helpful.

For me, the price differential means that, with the Oxford ones, I can afford as much chain of my choice as I wish!

I thought about the colours.  I don't know which is more accurate or whether either would do.  It struck me, however, that by the time I had added a dark wash, dry brushed highlights and added a good deal of track dust to the Oxford version, the opposing shades would be a lot less far apart!

Yes I'm still debating which no. 1 to go for, Oxfords is certainly better price wise, but Hattons will match my other Hattons one. But I will definitely be getting the one with the tank and the SR one so there is going to be a mismatch of colours anyway. I'll probably end up getting both. A one digit number is easily changeable I'm sure if having two of the same number bothers me that much :P

• Like 1

The chains may be overscale but they are nicely painted. I admit to being intrigued by the method of fixing. Each chain is fixed at one end by a plastic plug-type thing fitting into a hole. The other end is similarly fixed but a few links from the end. This allows the ends of the chains to be flopped around realistically without falling off the decking. However, what is tickling my brain is the thought that Oxford might be planning to provide its tank with holes so that the plugs can be removed from the deck and pushed into holes provided in the tank. If so it is rather clever and might look quite sucessful, were it not for the plugs looking rather obtrusive. Bachmann’s idea of magnetic fixing for its Warflats is also quite clever but will chains and straps be represented? Not yet known.

Regauging to EM or P4 looks as if it could be a problem. The clearance for wheels inside the bogies looks very tight. Has anyone considered this or come up with a solution yet, I wonder?

What problem!

New bogies.

Take a razor saw to them and add spacers to both sides of the frames.

Mark Saunders

• Like 1