Oxford Rail announces Warwells

mikeharvey22

Probably is by official specifications but two guys I knew who were in the army just post war and in the 60's said they painted stuff in all sorts of shades of green. Some near black others rather pastel depending on what they had and what they bulked it up with. They said they only fussed over stuff going to Germany or going on parade.

Add to that faded paint and I suspect the Oxford colour is representative of at least a few especially just before repainting. Hence I've grubbied up mine a bit which also nicely darkens the colour a bit.

Would like to see a picture of yours Paul?

This would be ok for the early sixties, is that a departmental one with the red livery, what would be a suitable load for this

particular model in this livery.

I remember seeing these wagons carrying things like bogies and diesel engines from Derby Works to Crewe Works in the late 1970s, and, a few years later, on similar workings from Doncaster Works to Gateshead depot. The loads had wagon sheets over the tops, making it easy to use a spare r-t-r bogie without having to hack it too much; PH Models make a selection of diesel engines from locomotives that could also be used.

When was this livery first introduced any early pictures.

It was probably applied once the vehicles had passed into BR service, which I think was in the late 1950s; prior to that, they carried WD livery and small plaques saying 'On Loan to BR (WR)' or whichever Region was using them. I never got a close look at the Warwells close-up, but worked somewhere that had a Pool of Warflats and Flat WLL. Even in the early 1970s, the WD paint was still evident, with patches to carry wagon details etc; the 'on loan' plates were still present, as were the safety chains on some examples.

It was probably applied once the vehicles had passed into BR service, which I think was in the late 1950s; prior to that, they carried WD livery and small plaques saying 'On Loan to BR (WR)' or whichever Region was using them. I never got a close look at the Warwells close-up, but worked somewhere that had a Pool of Warflats and Flat WLL. Even in the early 1970s, the WD paint was still evident, with patches to carry wagon details etc; the 'on loan' plates were still present, as were the safety chains on some examples.

See the other Warwell thread, I've put quite a lot of time details on there. Just for once Brian you are way out! The main bolster and boiler conversions are in the LMS, LNER, GWR diagram books (just)

Paul

I've not been involved with the Oxford Warwells but this is how DM360332 appeared in its later years http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/e1e2bf7e5

Both of these represent conversions done c1948 - they went into the diagram book in July 1949.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

What suitable soft skinned army lorries would be suitable for 1960s any period photos in use, would like a Bedford RL.

There were also some Fords with what was dubbed a 'Commer' cab- you could model one , or an RL, by using a cab from the 'Road Transport Images' range: you might be able to use the Airfix Bedford QL chassis and rear body.

Apart from that, the Matchbox K9 radio van is a nice model, fairly close to 4mm scale.

Thanks was thinking of the Fordson Thames ET6 made in the early fifties suppose the army still had these in the early 60s.

'Soft-skin' vehicles hung on for ages; often, when replaced in front-line units, they'd be sent to Territorial units. The Terrier unit in Meir (Stoke-on-Trent) had an early 1950s AEC Militant into the mid-1980s.

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't going to invest but finally relented and have my first Oxford Rail item in a Warwell with which I am well pleased.  It will look even better once it's been weathered and has something on board for which purpose I happen to have a spare Holman compressor from a pack released by Kernow MRC.  The other is permanently loaded onto a 4-wheel flat wagon.

Edited by Gwiwer

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been answered earlier in the thread and I've missed it, but what would be the approximate era of the one with the steam road roller load?

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/warwell-with-steam-road-engine-dm721211-or76ww009

I quite fancy one of these, as it's an interesting but quirky model. But I'm not sure if the colour scheme is right for the era I'm modelling (BR early crest). Looking at the other versions, it seems to have the same colour scheme as OR76WW001, which is described as Ministry of War "as built". If so, that seems a fair bet for something set in the 1950s, but I'd like to be a bit more certain before I buy one.

(I've got one of the Hattons grey Warwells, which definitely is right, but that's in BR rather than military livery).

On a separate note, does anyone know if the ones which come with loads (either the tank, or the steam roller) are permanently stuck to each other, or if the loads are removable?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I recieved an Oxfordrail SR Warwell today, see photo below.

I find a few things odd about this wagon:

1/ I find it hard to put on the rails, anyone else with this problem?

2/ the couplings seem to be missing, I,ve got spares but could not see the NEM sockets. Are they missing too?

3/ the tank I want to put on it seems to drawf the wagon, is that correct? The box says 1/87 scale, did OR change the scale for this wagon?

4/ I know there was discussion on colours, but were they ever in pink?

I will appreciate any help you can offer in order to get this Warwell running as soon as possible.post-15098-0-79917500-1511299066_thumb.jpg

(The shop apologised for the error and told me to keep it, a -hopefully- proper Warwell is on the way).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

Can anybody confirm what colour the traction engine is on the OR76WW009 version as i have noticed there seems to be two different colour engines from the photo's i have seen online.

Thanks,

Samuel.

The steam roller on the wagon comes in a dull brown/khaki colour. I took this photo today when putting it on the website (all we have look like this):

Ox%2044.5.jpg

- Footplate

• Like 4