Oxford Rail Annouce 4-Wheel Toad

Edwardian

Implicit in much of what Larry posts is the idea that if ones buys RTR one is inherently less discriminating and should not, therefore, care about accuracy issues, but that if one does care about accuracy issues one should be building kits.

Nice try! The evidence in my layout and WB threads points to the contrary.............RTR continues to play a prominent part in my modelling. 

• Like 1

I've just ordered one, and I'll have it whatever it's like, within reason. It's better than using any of the alternative models, that are all too modern for my EM layout. Whether I buy one or two more depends on how good it is.

In the meantime, if I ever get the layout working, it looks as though I'll be using a Hornby Dublo Toad on my EM layout until it arrives.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Nice try! The evidence in my layout and WB threads points to the contrary.............RTR continues to play a prominent part in my modelling. 

I'm with you Larry.

With RTR, if it's financially viable and accurate enough to be the basis of a decent mode, I'll buy and amend it; if not, and I want / need a certain model, it's kit or scratch building.

What can't be got away from is that those who are prepared to model, as opposed to 'open the box', will always be able to more accurately represent the prototype.

For any period, the chances of a truly representative selection of motive power and rolling stock being available RTR are virtually nil; let alone the pre-grouping era.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

For those of us who don't do Facetube, I note that there appears to be no equivalent update on Oxford Rail's website.

Come on Oxford, sort it out.    

The only photos I saw on Facebook just had them in the background of some modern image stuff, so weren't that clear.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just seen a photo of the pre-prod Oxford 4-wheel Toad in the new Railway Modeller and I am alarmed!  The model shown has steel sheeting on the cabin and verandah sides but the end of the verandah has planking - unless I am mistaken the end should also have steel sheeting.  If this proves to be the case it will be a major disapointment as the error would be very difficult to rectify and otherwise it looks to be a nice model.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Well outside my area of expertise here; does the end planking issue, if it's an issue, apply to the AA1 6-wheeler as well?  It may be that Ox are modelling something based on a 6-wheeler which had the planking sheeted over on the sides but not the end.  It might be possible to rectify this; it is after all easier to retrofit sheeting, as the GW did in some cases, than to try to scribe it to represent planking.  You either fill in the gaps between the planks or put thin plastic sheet over them; the first option preserves your rivet detail.  

I can probably live with incorrect footboards, something that would have been replaced during the van's life anyway and I am modelling 1950s period, but if there is an middle W iron for an axle on a 4-wheeled van that is pushing things too far for me; you'd be better off with the old Triang one fitted with decent wheels!  The 6-wheeler is thus the more correct, or less incorrect, and I may still go for one of those.

• RMweb Gold

No.

Btw, it's an AA1 moulding with the middle axle dropped out, so you get the wrong footboards and axleboxes as well.

Seriously?? So the artwork from post #1 (and the errors spotted) is actually what they used and not just a quick hack to show a representation of what they were intending? Words fail me.

No.

Btw, it's an AA1 moulding with the middle axle dropped out, so you get the wrong footboards and axleboxes as well.

Which is what I was going to do when they announced the 6 wheeler, so I suppose at least they are doing it for me!

• RMweb Gold

Well, at least they've not left the W irons in, just the cutout in the footboards for a non-existent axlebox, so you've got to replace the footboard anyway by the look of things (someone will now post a photo showing a 4-wheeled van with exactly this feature just to prove me wrong) (and I'll be looking for signs of photoshopping, so don't even think about it...).

Oh dear.

I suppose my interest now centres on the question of how easy they will be to fix.

Probably easier than removing the sheeting from all the other models that have been produced, and all the other changes needed to make them the right diagram and date!

Probably easier than removing the sheeting from all the other models that have been produced, and all the other changes needed to make them the right diagram and date!

Well, yes, quite.  My thought is anything quicker and easier than an etched brass kit will be worth my attention!

• RMweb Gold

I think Total Fail' is a bit strong, but, once again, it is beginning to look as though Ox have not managed to quite hit the mark, and I'll allow that my 'not quite hitting the mark' might be your 'total fail'.  It's annoying because we know they are capable of decent work; I am very happy with the 5 and 7 plank wagons of theirs that I have, and posable brake handles are a splendid idea.  But I am beginning to pick up a general impression of a firm that have overstretched themselves, and need to get products on the shelves generating income too quickly to allow for proper research (which, let's face it guys, isn't always easy with vehicles introduced well over 100 years ago and non=existent for over 60).  The worrying thing is their apparent inability to be able to incorporate corrections to models even when they are aware of them and before the final production specifications are set out; they show us drawings or artwork, say that the model is in the design or development stage, so corrections of proven inaccuracies should be possible.  

One gets a feeling that targets have to be met for financial reasons to the extent that it is interfering with the modelling, and things are being rushed and problems ignored at the design stage, and if this is true, they stand a very low chance of improving the situation because they will enter a spiral of poorly selling inaccurate models that cannot adequately finance future development, which will hence be even less likely to redeem the situation, and are sadly, ultimately, doomed to failure, especially if someone else can crack the nut of providing models that challenge the big manufacturers in terms of quality, while using the faster market response times that a smaller firm can access to beat the them to the shelves and undercut them on price, which as far as I can tell is Oxford's intended business model.  If you are going to price low, you have to sell in volume, unless your costs are seriously cut to the bone, in which case you've left yourself no wobble room.  They have to start getting things right first time or go under, and although it looks as if they've probably made a good fist of the 6-wheel AA1, I can't see that selling in the sort of quantities needed to break them out of the cycle of poor models they seem to be currently wedded to. 

As I've said, I like the idea of Oxford, and what they are trying to do, but they cannot continue in the way that they currently are.  They will either have to increase their development times, or their prices, or more likely both, and either action will put them in the same performance bracket as the established manufacturers, with whom they will not be able to compete under such circumstances as they do not have access to the same sort of finance.  Their only choice then would be to change tack altogether and go for the 'premium' end of the market, head to head with Heljan; not going to work, is it, there isn't enough market to go around.  Poor performance will make finance an increasingly sticky issue for them, and there is only one end to it once that starts to happen.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

From what I can make out, neither the 6-wheel or 4-wheel Toads announced by Oxford Rail yet exist as anything more than CAD images, with that of the latter clearly being a cut-and-paste job based on that of the former. 

Bit early for the wailing and gnashing of teeth, I'd have thought...............

Oxford's LNER cattle wagon seems to have sold OK despite its faults and none of the errors/omissions on the Toads (even if they do make it through to the finished product) look anything like as bad or as tricky to rectify.

John