Old Oak Common

Eastfield

Toton

Inverness

Penzance

Carlisle Kingmoor

Cardiff Canton

post-6082-0-94149000-1485389979.jpg

Course the pics are out there, way more than could ever be needed.

The question is whether a publisher would publish them.....

Colin j Marsden did a similar such book on the western region but never the other regions....

The Engine Shed Society covers steam, diesel and electric depots/works.   We are keen to attract members interested in diesel and electric depots, and to tackle the usual problem of an ageing membership interested principally in the steam era.  Our recent AGM visits have included privileged access to some new depots.

http://www.engineshedsociety.co.uk/

Stephen Wolstenholme

Archivist

Engine Shed Society

• RMweb Gold

Course the pics are out there, way more than could ever be needed.

The question is whether a publisher would publish them.....

Colin j Marsden did a similar such book on the western region but never the other regions....

If anyone wants to send their contributions scanned to 300dpi along with their contact details to me I will pick up the batton and put something together.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Has anyone got their hands on a copy yet?

Saw it in my local newsagents this morning and had a flick through. looks interesting, though I didn't buy one.

The newsagent told me he had almost sent them back as they seemed too expensive for what they were, though he had sold a couple already!

Saw it in my local newsagents this morning and had a flick through. looks interesting, though I didn't buy one.

The newsagent told me he had almost sent them back as they seemed too expensive for what they were, though he had sold a couple already!

Can I ask why you didn't buy one, was it the price that put you off?

Can I ask why you didn't buy one, was it the price that put you off?

Not at all.  I just don't really need a bookazine about the development of diesel depots, despite the inordinate number of Heljan pilot scheme diesels on my layout...

If it is possible to create a line of books on individual depots how would it be formatted, and what sort of photos would be required. Would it have the details of what each depot did and what locos where allocated class by class, and what has become of the depot since privatisation.

If anyone wants to send their contributions scanned to 300dpi along with their contact details to me I will pick up the batton and put something together.

Kevin Derrick

Strathwood Publishing

Hi Kevin,

I think you'd be onto a winner there. All modellers who want to make a depot layout or have a depot on their layout will, at some time, look at a picture online, or in a magazine for inspiration.

I took mine from OOC for my layout 'Old Elm Common', and scanned the web for hours searching out decent pictures (google earth helped a bit with the the track plan), but there was always angles missing that a book on the subject could and would have helped by.

Now with help I hope you get this together as I'd be in for the series, and it would be perfect if you could include track diagrams too and maybe reference each pic to a position on a double paged drawing?

Anyway, good luck with the project. I'm in.

Cheers

Dave

I need to widen my search as neither Sainsbury's nor Smith's in Romford had copies yesterday.  In the meantime I'd be interested to know whether the Bookazine has been compiled by someone who knows their subject well, or follows some - ahem - other publications of this genre.

Picking up this discussion, is there a niche for something more comprehensive - if so, what would be its scope?  The whole diesel and electric period from the pre-grouping early electrification projects right through to the present day?  Industrial systems (remember that a recent IRS book on steam sheds was so successful that a second volume was produced)?  UK only or international?  Photos and descriptions - of course - but what about allocation history and plans (the latter would affect the whole layout of a book).

There are some precedents, such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABC-Railway-Depots-Paul-Smith/dp/0711034826/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486211586&sr=8-4&keywords=railway+depots (ibut not at the ridiculous price shown!)

And those pesky Germans have been there already: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Typenkompass-Bahnbetriebswerke-DDR-bis-1990-x/dp/3613714019/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486211722&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=typenkompass+ddr+bahntriebswerke

• RMweb Gold

I need to widen my search as neither Sainsbury's nor Smith's in Romford had copies yesterday.  In the meantime I'd be interested to know whether the Bookazine has been compiled by someone who knows their subject well, or follows some - ahem - other publications of this genre.

Picking up this discussion, is there a niche for something more comprehensive - if so, what would be its scope?  The whole diesel and electric period from the pre-grouping early electrification projects right through to the present day?  Industrial systems (remember that a recent IRS book on steam sheds was so successful that a second volume was produced)?  UK only or international?  Photos and descriptions - of course - but what about allocation history and plans (the latter would affect the whole layout of a book).

There are some precedents, such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABC-Railway-Depots-Paul-Smith/dp/0711034826/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486211586&sr=8-4&keywords=railway+depots (ibut not at the ridiculous price shown!)

And those pesky Germans have been there already: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Typenkompass-Bahnbetriebswerke-DDR-bis-1990-x/dp/3613714019/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486211722&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=typenkompass+ddr+bahntriebswerke

The bookazine is available from the publishers direct with free second class postage.

As you say, there are plenty of good D&E depot books, especially photo albums such as Rex Kennedy's regional volumes published by OPC many moons ago.

I can see the potential of something similar that combined layouts of depots with a decent plan together with stock listings for key dates - having all that in one place would be handy, true, though I enjoy searching for inf, such as the large-scale OS plans (especially for London) on the National Library of Scotland's web-mapping platform (http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/), and Ian Allan 'Locoshed' books that give a sense of changing allocations - I still have mine from 1976 when I started taking numbers as a ten year old! I also like 'Diesels, Depots & Oil Drums' by Ted Reading, very evocative photos. 

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Depending on the era of your model making, then the Kennedy books are good. So is the Marsden WR one already mentioned. Ian Allan also published BR Diesels on Depot by D Nicholas and S Montgomery ISBN 0-7110-1398-5. The Bradford Barton series of books BR Diesels on Shed by N Preedy, ISBN 0-85153-260-8, and in the same series BR Diesels in Close Up by N Preedy and H Ford, my copy does not have an ISBN number (its that old). The second BB book is not depot orientated but has a lot of depot shots. An interesting little book with quite a good coverage of depots and their operation is H G Forsythe's Men of Diesels published by Atlantic, ISBN 0-906899-31-1. A very good book regarding how a depot is run is Finsbury Park by Ian Lewis, published by the Deltic Preservation Society, ISBN 978-0-9565544-0-6.

The best book for my period is Diesel Depots, The Early Years, by Hawkins, Hooper and Reeve, Irwell Press, ISBN 1-871608-01-5. In fact I would say it is a must read if building a depot layout, even a modern one as it outlines why the different regions adopted different  ideas on how to maintain their locos and the long lasting effect that has had.

I was unable to buy the new bookzine, my local Smiffffs did not have it. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Archived