New Partwork "Mill Town"

CathcartCircle

Apart from actually providing the bits to make the layout, I wonder what else they can put in the magazine. They covered quite a lot in the other magazine. Maybe Phil is going to be providing even more articles for it, especially if it involves a canal side railway.

With respect tothe business selling copies on ebay, that concerns me now. As a newsagent(presumably) it would be getting copies at preferential rates compaed to what model shops get magazines, and then they would be on sell and return. I was told a few years ago that newsagents only paid half the cover cost(compared to2/3 for other shops) and when next issues come out, unsold copies are sent back to distributor. The biggest problem for any newsagent was having enough space to display magazines, and these part-works take up even more room.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Issue No 2 features a "Mill Owner" figure and a magazine article teaches you how to speak broad Lanky, You will be able to speyk proper, report when there's "Trouble at 'th mill" as well as instructions on how why when and where to "wring your cap" . You will be able to understand mill talk, such as " 't looms brast, and tachin eend's geet bawt it's ratch" !!!

4594180519_6ae70e166e_b.jpg

Issue 3 will feature a smoke unit for your chimney - better buy a dozen or so.

800px-widnes_smoke.jpg

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Those look like Mainline and early Bachmann screw on type couplings to me.  Easily replaced with the careful application of a small Philips screwdriver to something a little narrower and more up to date.

with respect to couplings, there are still quite a lot of Bachmann items with old non NEM type coupling. It is still in production. The USA Thomas range even still uses the old style Mainline coupling, and it can be found on Dapol  items. Abig advantage is that the fitting is stronger and broken couplings can be fixed easily. The narrow coupling can cause problems on some layouts, and can be replaced with a larger one. In many ways the old Hornby/Triang metal one is best as it is metal, strong, can be bent to finetune height and is thinner material so is less visible.

Interestingly I thought the LMS brakevan was originally Airfix not Bachmann/Mainline, but a lot got switched across before Hornby, Replica and Dapol got involved.

I seem to remember the Model Village magazine was initially released earlier, then relaunched. If I am correct it was probably done for same reasons. This time it has been noticed and talked about quicker. I wonder if they are doing another French one, as that was done before the Model Village one.

They are obviously still trying to get people to buy the Bachmann Jinty loco, as it is on cover, but this time in LMS livery. Not that that is definite as some of the items in original Model Village photos changed. Hopefully some nice Victorian warehouse type buildings.

They are obviously still trying to get people to buy the Bachmann Jinty loco, as it is on cover, but this time in LMS livery. Not that that is definite as some of the items in original Model Village photos changed. Hopefully some nice Victorian warehouse type buildings.

There arre two locomotives this time, the 3F Jinty and a G2A D. They are included as part of the subscription if you pay an extra £2 per issue!

If it is from the magazine then it will refer to a website, surely he can share that website address with us?

soz at work at the moment so don't have mag with me but it is from Hachette or whatever way they are spelled and the info I have been imparting is indeed contained in issue 1 which is on sale here in Glasgow at the moment!

soz at work at the moment so don't have mag with me but it is from Hachette or whatever way they are spelled and the info I have been imparting is indeed contained in issue 1 which is on sale here in Glasgow at the moment!

The main hachette website has nothing on it, I'm wondering if there is a sub website like there was for your model railway hence the question about websites.

I've only become aware of this part work through this thread, but a quick Google indicates that there is some information on this site with some photographs of the intended layout, magazine articles and costs of the first four issues.

http://www.cashforpartworks.co.uk/year/2017/hachette-partworks/mill-town-model-railway.html

The brakevan looks okay in these pictures, although it's not really my period.

MILL TOWN MODEL RAILWAY

Q How many issues are there in the collection?">

A There are currently 120 issues planned in this collection.">">

Issue 1 £2.99, Issue 2 £4.99, Issue 3 £9.99, Issue 4 £9.99 - 120 issues ? - Thar avin me on owd corran !!

None in WHS Wigan today - they've never heard of it -- "Mill - what's a Mill "? --. Last mill in Wigan closed yonks ago !!

Ah well - 'appen I'll save mi brass !!

Brit15

Ok, the canal goes under a a road bridge and then where?

Yes, I think if I was building this layout, I probably wouldn't bother with the canal scene.  

The layout appears to be built on a flat baseboard, with the railway track bed, seemingly at the same height as the canal, which disappears off out of sight, into the two, canal tunnels.

It's not a perfect arrangement, but I suppose they don't want to risk, over facing people, with construction skills they may or may not have.

I really like the track plan, as it is simple, yet entertaining and the layout looks do-able, particularly for people who want to get back into the hobby after a long break.

The station looks to have a bay platform, which would allow the freight to pass by on the adjacent track.

All in all, not perfect, but a good effort and an inspiration for those doing N gauge, as something similar to this, could be built using the Metcalfe models, card kits.