New Partwork "Mill Town"

CathcartCircle

Apart from the slight fact that even if the brake van was someone existing tooling it would not be Bachmanns as Bachmann have never produced that brake van. The one you are thinking of is presumably the Airfix one that passed to Dapol and then Hornby.

The brake van does look to be a simplified copy of Bachmann's MR brake van - photos suggest it has moulded handrails instead of Bachmann's wire ones, and a simplified chassis with fixed couplings (no NEM boxes), so it is clearly made "down to a price" whether by Bachmann or a third party. I'm sure they will start appearing on Swapmeet tables around now, in the same manner as the Mk.1 from the other publication which appear frequently for around a tenner a go.

Haven't seen this in Cardiff and I've been in a few supermarkets and newsagents over the past few weeks. 

I might get one of these. I didn't bother with the coaches first time round as they just weren't what I wanted, but as people have said brake vans are handy.

I like the idea of a partwork with a cheapie wagon on the front each time. I could see that for £9.99 and coming with a small mag with info about the wagons and lots of photos for weathering inspiration. Even better if the wagons came with a sleection fo transfers so you could buy a few and number them all differently.

The brake van does look to be a simplified copy of Bachmann's MR brake van - photos suggest it has moulded handrails instead of Bachmann's wire ones, and a simplified chassis with fixed couplings (no NEM boxes), so it is clearly made "down to a price" whether by Bachmann or a third party. I'm sure they will start appearing on Swapmeet tables around now, in the same manner as the Mk.1 from the other publication which appear frequently for around a tenner a go.

I think it will be more likely to appear on (often only small) working layouts at exhibitions, rather than the overrated ones where nothing is moving!

• RMweb Premium

Time to introduce some facts to this topic. I'd forgotten all about this series, but today whilst in ASDA I saw there were loads of issue 1 and 2 on the shelf. Closer inspection revealed that the brake van was a much higher quality model that I'd first thought, an absolute bargain for £2.99.

For the benefit of those not in the chosen areas here are a few photos.

The first thing to note is the handrails, definitely not moulded on.

post-6821-0-12620400-1487356404_thumb.jpg

A side view. The body sides are unpainted plastic, the roof and chassis sides are painted.

post-6821-0-54890700-1487356402_thumb.jpg

Comparison with the Bachmann model reveals the differences in the chassis.

post-6821-0-43638800-1487356401_thumb.jpg

There is a lack of detail on the side frames and brake gear. On the plus side the brake shoes line up nicely with the wheels.

post-6821-0-99104800-1487356399_thumb.jpg

The wheels are metal, with little stubs locating into a plastic axle,

There is no indication on it where it is made. The piece of track has 'made in china' on it. 

Time to introduce some facts to this topic. I'd forgotten all about this series, but today whilst in ASDA I saw there were loads of issue 1 and 2 on the shelf. Closer inspection revealed that the brake van was a much higher quality model that I'd first thought, an absolute bargain for £2.99.

For the benefit of those not in the chosen areas here are a few photos.

The first thing to note is the handrails, definitely not moulded on.

M_1.JPG

A side view. The body sides are unpainted plastic, the roof and chassis sides are painted.

M_2.JPG

Comparison with the Bachmann model reveals the differences in the chassis.

M_3.JPG

There is a lack of detail on the side frames and brake gear. On the plus side the brake shoes line up nicely with the wheels.

M_4.JPG

The wheels are metal, with little stubs locating into a plastic axle,

There is no indication on it where it is made. The piece of track has 'made in china' on it.

Thanks for posting, so it does have wire handrails. And even the guards safety bars which the Bachmann premium one doesn't. Impressive given the price. Just need some in North Wales/Chester now! :-)

• Like 1

Trouble is, if the publisher has had their attention drawn to this thread, they can't help but notice that all everyone is interested in is the brakevan for £2.99 and the rest can go hang......

Given that, if it does go to general release I'll definitely be taking a few!

• Like 1

They didn't complain when all we wanted was BR Mark One SKs for £3.99. Nor when we buy the first issue of other series such as Darth Vader helmets and racing cars.

Last time it ran for four issues before being stopped then appeared properly 16 months later. I hope we don't have to wait that long this time.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52594-model-railway-partwork-your-model-railway-village/

Jason

Edited for spelling....

Edited by Steamport Southport

They didn't complain when all we wanted was BR Mark One SKs for £3.99. Nor when we buy the first issue of other series such as Darth Vader helmets and racing cars.

Last time it ran for four issues before being stopped then appeared properly 16 months later. I hope we don't have to wait that long this time.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52594-model-railway-partwork-your-model-railway-village/

Jason

Edited for spelling....

hopefully, based on return on first series, and the some of the positive publicity here, maybe they will go full launch sooner. Probably somewhere in their marketing guidelines it suggests best time to launch such a magazine. It is getting towards end of traditional modelling time of year.

Although thee are hints at what articles might feature, it will be interesting to see what they cover this time. The Mill Town theme might suggest more about lines in the north, but I think it is more likely to be more general. It is relatively easy to revamp articles about modelling, but you need new material for articles about real railways. Maybe more about railways in industry.

I am wondering what the size of the layout is required for this one, I made a big mistake with the previous build.

does it matter? I prefer to use the parts to build my own layout design. Being creative is far more fun, than rigorously following the plan/instructions.

• RMweb Gold

does it matter? I prefer to use the parts to build my own layout design. Being creative is far more fun, than rigorously following the plan/instructions.

Seriously?

What a nonsense reply!

Of course it matters to those that intend on buying this and building the layout as shown as that is what the part-work is all about.

Being creative is more fun??????

In that case just buy some track and not bother with a part-work at all, cheaper quicker and infinitely more fun surely?

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction
  • Like 1

If he's a news agent he should be selling them in his shop at rrp not scalping people online! In my view!

Maybe both the people in Balloch/Alexandria who wanted one had bought theirs and he was wondering what to do with the other dozen cluttering his shop up ?

Seriously?

What a nonsense reply!

Of course it matters to those that intend on buying this and building the layout as shown as that is what the part-work is all about.

Being creative is more fun??????

In that case just buy some track and not bother with a part-work at all, cheaper quicker and infinitely more fun surely?

Cheers

Ian

that probably explains why there are so many similar layouts around.

Those are the two routes from different directions. The third and far more revolutionary and fun way is to take something part done(eg partwork mag) and turn t into something different. Tis is not possible with the traditiona part work building  mags, but there is no need to do it to instruction with this railway  partwork.

Secondly as I have mentioned before, people often ask advice at exhibitions and in real shops if they can find one, and if they are starting with something like this partwork, it helps to know what they have been told right or wrongly. Too much of the advice given online is poor, sometimes totally wrong, and mostly just  a matter of opinion. To use a well known retail slogan, every little bit helps.

• Administrators

that probably explains why there are so many similar layouts around.

Those are the two routes from different directions. The third and far more revolutionary and fun way is to take something part done(eg partwork mag) and turn t into something different. Tis is not possible with the traditiona part work building  mags, but there is no need to do it to instruction with this railway  partwork.

Secondly as I have mentioned before, people often ask advice at exhibitions and in real shops if they can find one, and if they are starting with something like this partwork, it helps to know what they have been told right or wrongly. Too much of the advice given online is poor, sometimes totally wrong, and mostly just  a matter of opinion. To use a well known retail slogan, every little bit helps.

No it doesn't. You are assuming that everyone builds a layout from a partwork. 

However, the point of the partwork is that you follow the instructions. They are one of the reasons for the cost (photos and writing cost money) of the series. If you just take all the bits and do your own thing then you might as well buy them seperatly and save your cash. The only "revolutionary" thing about it is the desire to spend money to no good effect.

• Like 1

The aim of a partwork might be to follow it to the word, but so is a plastic kit you buy,yet many just use a kit as a start point. No-one has to follow the path set out. Exploring the possibilities and adding your own creativity is what makes the hobby fun, for me. When it comes to cost, then you have to subtract the cost of the magazine. Some might not think it much, but it is part of the cost and does have some interesting articles which hopefully inspire people to try something different. Just not sure how many new ideas can be done this time.

• 2 months later...

I would be surprised if it was released now as we are at end of the season. Makes more sense later in the year. Might even tie up with the screening of that TV program which is being filmed in June in the wilds of Scotland(assuming they have actually found enough to get it started).

Edited by rue_d_etropal

No. That's just speculation.

The last one didn't start until well over a year after the test. The same with all the partworks that I've ever come across.

Build The Flying Scotsman, Build The Mallard, Great British Locomotives, Your Model Railway Village, etc. all did that. The threads for them are still on here if you care to look.

Jason

• 4 months later...