If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

The EKLR

poisonjunction

I've often tapped into RMweb in the recent past - always interested to read opinions, and lately about Oxford Rails newly offered Adams radial 4-4-2T so decided today to join!

In 1975 I moved from Yorkshire to Kent, and found a home in Eythorne village, a few miles out of Dover where I would work.

Mysteriously the village had a then disused railway station, and rails led East to a Coal mine  . . . in Kent the 'Garden Of England'??

Eythorne village - one station disused/ now open

Yes, I'd 'discovered' the remnants of Col Stephens 'East Kent Light Railway', reduced to a 'long' but active colliery branch/ siding from near the Canterbury to Dover main line station at Shepherdswell, servicing 'Tilmanstone Colliery'!   The colliery 'terminus' operating with multiple sidings, and a pithead narrow gauge network.

What remained at the Shepherdswell EKLR HQ Station with it's terminus platform bereft of its edge slabs, was an adjacent siding complex 'around' the long since demolished, loco and rolling stock repair shed, but separate from the mainline station of the same name, which boasted a goods shed. Cl 8 Diesels bypassed the EKLR HQ platform, hauling coal trains, used a linked track to cut through to the mainline, a signal box opposite managing the whole operation.

Shepherdswell village, two stations, both now in use!

When coal working eventually ceased I did join the later preservation society, but there was too much infighting from outsider rolling stock owners anxious to free park their stock, and so the plan to avoid another level crossing using the existing colliery bridge to access an HQ in possibly more secure colliery sidings was missed, I left!   That, was 40 years ago, now I think of EU subsidies, and crowdfunding etc.

£5 rescued a colliery sidings 'throw' point lever from the dismantling team on a chance stop, and though I approached the Coal Board later they declined to isolate the EKLR track bed from the 'mine estate'!  Now flattened the mine works are an industrial estate, the EKLR trackbed lies forlorn and overgrown outside the perimeter fencing!   Some locals helped clear the brambles and fallen trees to open the route to ramblers and dog walkers, but its onward route East beyond 'Elvington halt' is balked by a massive land fill tip, covering . . . . . the site of the colliery sidings,  whilst a road and a private garden extension now cut links back to the Eythorne trackbed!!  

So what has that to do with Oxford Rails new product?  Well it didn't take me long to delve into Col Stephens history,and learn that an Adams Radial Tank engine had worked on MY village railway AND both had been preserved!    Remember this was the '70's, a trip to see it on the Bluebell, what a classy engine it looked in the 'flesh', and it was listed in Wrenn's catalogue as well!   I waited for the model to appear . . . year after year, it never.did!   

I'm not conversant with subsequent RTR radial models[?] current ones apart, long ago I bit the bullet and bought a Wrightline kit, had it made up and painted black, 'EKR  5'.

So the sub heading 'A Village with Three stations' . .  after several moves I ended up in Eastry, a village between Eythorne and Sandwich.    Eastry had an Eastry South station, an Eastry station and within a few hundred yards, the qualifying Poison Cross, albeit a Halt but the high ground of its platform is still evident.

Eastry - three stations all disused

Yes there's a lot of chat about the Oxford Adams radial 4-4-2T, mostly positive, there are 'teething' problems, there is light under the boiler 'not a lot', and general opinion is very positive.    IMO today's models surpass anything from the 20th century and if you take a look in the Adams radial cab you'll see confirmatory evidence.

So a question, which is correct with Hornby  R431/432 'Southern Railway' coaches - if any?   I know it's not EKLR, for that I'm looking for a birdcage bogie coach?

Thanks  Peter

PS  My initials begin P J F, hence 'poisonjunction' not 'poisoncross', 'and Foxborough[or Fox Burrow]' completes the railway iine!    I also collect Bachmann 0n30, Wrightlines etc 016.5 and with a few scenic changes, aim to run 'em all on the same track/ layout - not at the same time!

PPS   As the main junction was at Eastry station it might rightly have been designated as 'Junction'!    Here the Richborough branch diverged from the West bound Canterbury main line, with the Hammill Brickworks siding nearby and their internal narrow gauge line to the clay pits.  Sadly the Brickworks are now a new up-market mini estate, Old colliery buildings are in hiding behind an earthwork!  So plenty of scope for modelling

Welcome to the forum Peter. :)

I used to live not far from where you are when I was in England. Woodnesborough and Sandwich.

The railway runs of towards Wingham as well and a few bits are, or were still recognisable when I was there.

You probably already know but there is a book on the EKLR by Middleton Press.

Bachmann are bringing out birdcage coaches, not sure if they are what you're looking for?

Hi Sandwich Stn

Thanks for getting in touch, and for the pointer to Middleton Press - yes I do have it - its by my elbow[!!] [along with 'Vivarais revisited', another Middleton] but other readers here may not know of it, the images are B&W but it's excellent, with maps.  

You are right to doubt the Bachmann bird cage coach suitability, excellent to get Londoners to and from suburbia, but 60' is a bit long for a mere branch line ambition behind Terriers and Radials.  I suppose I could chop it in half :nono: - I'm almost thinking four wheeler's, Middleton document, and show a 4 wh LCDR birdcage brake third on the East Kent!

Last night I spent quite a few hours on the internet [just made bed before dawn!] and eventually tracked down 'Mallard Models' who did bird cage coaches which several fellow RM'rs refer to.  

'Mallard Models' became 'Blacksmith Models' also referred to!    Each seem to have been enthusiastic OMO's, now Cooper Craft are offering Mallard/ Blacksmith, SECR Birdcage bogie coach etch kits[amongst others], and the're a much more suitable length for me, between 40' - 50'. Description beyond etching, diagram No. and length are minimal to absent including pictures!

However it looks as though CC too are under pressure, their 'phone is answered 2 - 4 pm weekdays, probably when office work is prioritized !  Card orders are accepted over the phone, only charged when goods dispatched [per web site] 01823 461061.  For email details and postal address please see website.

Locally, you would still recognize the Woodnesborough area, noticing a small housing estate opposite the Vicarage and another as you rise up towards the side lane to the Church, 'opposite' the junction there is another modest housing complex, situated where the 'youth centre' used to be, which adjoins another build, up behind the old barns, one remains and is now a habitation! Back on the main road at the crossroads [Church and Eastry left, right to Ash] the 'agricultural distributor' on the corner packed up and its replacement is  . . . . another modest housing conurbation!   

Of interest, at the Xroads continue in the direction of Hammmill Brick [as mentioned now a small upmarket housing complex] but before, at the next Xroads [left to Eastry, right to Staple] go right 'five hundred yards towards Staple, then right where the old EKLR line crossed the road, and 300 yards down a track [probably the old trackbed to where a few years ago Canterbury archaeologists dug at Ringlemere [i almost included 'Ringlemere' in my railway's Title ] they found a solid Gold Goblet dating BC - just input 'Ringlemere Gold Goblet' to your search engine to see it!  I did have a chat with them much later as they continued excavating after the find, it was found just to the left of the EKLR track bed [between Woodnesboro' and Staple Station]!!!!

Sandwich now has High Speed trains to London courtesy South Eastern company, so it's possible to commute but not in a '60ft bird cage coach'!

Apparently there are problems with the new auto door ODO trains ie driver only, no guard!    At some stations where drivers can't see passengers boarding, insufficient time for boarding is allowed by the driver before moving off!   Having operated the auto doors, once closed an 'all clear' signal appears in his cab! 

But It seems luggage and passengers are 'regularly' being caught in the doors and disquietingly despite repeated door movements to release or allow boarding the all clear signal remains on - or the driver doesn't double check or the system is faulty [as claimed by the Union] and he attempts to move off!!  There is a growing list of injuries!

The Rail companies are adamant the problem can't happen - but it did, to a friend of mine journeying back from Brussels on a delayed Eurostar late at night recently!   In her late 70's, she alighted at Ebbsfleet International, to change trains in order to board a South Eastern ODO for the rest of her journey - when it arrived she attempted to lift her luggage from the platform onto the train before boarding herselfl but the doors closed on it!   She struggled to release it or board with the doors repeatedly opening and closing so quickly that she had difficulty in doing either.    She did retrieve it but couldn't board.   The next train was the last one to get her home to Thanet!    She did receive sympathy from station staff both at Ebbsfleet and on arrival at Margate, but  her experience has now made her very apprehensive of using railways at all!

I think Eurostar does stop at Ashford but journeying on to Thanet is less easy!

Sorry to off-load all this on you, I do seem to have got carried away - but serve you right for claiming local knowledge :O!

Anyway hope you can find your way around from my directions, check it all on Google maps!!

Best Wishes  Peter

Sorry to off-load all this on you, I do seem to have got carried away - but serve you right for claiming local knowledge :O!

Anyway hope you can find your way around from my directions, check it all on Google maps!!

Best Wishes  Peter

Hi Peter, no worries on off-loading :)

I know exactly the places that you talk of. The housing estate opposite the Vicarage has been there a long time. The farm up near the Youth Centre was owned by Ovenden's.

The 'agricultural distributor' you speak of was ND Laslett and Sons.

And I know all about the gold cup etc. I was born at Woodnesborough and lived there for 24years before moving to Sandwich for about another 20years.

I didn't realise the Bachmann Birdcages were 60' sorry, never looked at them in detail.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, no worries on off-loading :)

I know exactly the places that you talk of. The housing estate opposite the Vicarage has been there a long time. The farm up near the Youth Centre was owned by Ovenden's.

The 'agricultural distributor' you speak of was ND Laslett and Sons.

And I know all about the gold cup etc. I was born at Woodnesborough and lived there for 24years before moving to Sandwich for about another 20years.

I didn't realise the Bachmann Birdcages were 60' sorry, never looked at them in detail.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for getting back  . .yes you're right.

I think I'm having to look further for my Birdcage! in the EKLR Middleton book, the ex LCDR one is pictured three times - back, front and side they're relatively decent images, with three passenger compartment's, and twin doors to the parcel/ guards/ birdcage section.   On four wheels, probably five  compartment's long - maybe a kit scratch/ bash!

Earlier this evening I dug out a 'similar' Ratio kit [5316] a four wheel GWR 3rd Guard I built many years ago.    No bird cage, look outs either slide, three compartments, twin doors to parcels, unfortunately neatly painted choc and cream!   S'pose I could flog it on, and start again, except . . . . !  

Also discovered two Coopercraft GWR V5 Mink Van (1902) unmade kits, another built, but unpainted, and an unmade Dapol BR railbus kit!

The EKLR route more

I used to ride a bike a lot and raced with Thanet Road Club in the '80's.  I still ride[more leisurely], and regularly cross the EK trackbed on the 19 mile circuit I use.  I start just before EK's only bridge, riding 'below' it - the 'handrails' are visible in the Eastry Station photo's. The route continues to new 'Hammill Estate', then left in the Nonington direction, past the old Colliery Buildings. Right to the 'Black Pig' PH [parts dating to the 16th century] and 'straight' on to Staple, right towards Ash, crossing the trackbed by 'Staple station'!  The circuit continues via Elmstone and Preston.   At left to Grove T junction, a new build in progress a 'large' housing estate[semi's], then at Grove left to Wickhambreaux, left in village to join Ickham lane to Canterbury Road,  left to Wingham to cross the EK trackbed at Wingham Station, the Terminus!    Into Wingham to join the Staple road, past the Assisses to cross the trackbed at Wingham Colliery Station - Wingham's third station all unused on the rise to the Agricultural Industrial Estate.  On to Staple {the Church Clock built long ago, bears only an hour hand, very rare these days - until 'recently' it was wound daily via two long vertical ladders!], on homeward the reverse way, via Black Pig etc to finish past the 'bridge' at 30mph road sign!!

Hope you enjoyed the ride, it almost kills me!

Regards Peter

PS  You know Sandwich's reputation as 'Sex capital of the World' !   Did Pfizers - as major local employer -  play any role in your life I wonder!   If you prefer not to go public PM me or ignore!

I assume the Roxey LCDR kits are unsuitable ?

always nice to see another EKR modeler

Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for the welcome, good of you to mention Roxey Mouldings, I had looked at their web site - it lists, and describes all four of its LCDR coach output, but only one warrants an image [the '2nd or 3rd'], whilst the description of the only likely vehicle the Brake Third, makes no mention of a birdcage!

Apparently a dead end, but I will check personally to be sure.

Best Wishes  Peter

PS  I've sent you a PM detailing the concept of my original thoughts on an EK layout.    l hope you don't object! 

Have you had a look at http://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/ ? Lots of useful information on the EKR.

Thanks for the pointer Tim, and if you ever get over this way check their very interesting museum, it's off theHigh Street and on the left walking down towards Tenterden Station on the [preserved] Kent and East Sussex Railway.

Peter

PS  Something I'd like to include on a layout is the China stone Quarry a bit further West from you, in Tregargus Valley, at St Stephen in Brannel , inland from St Austell.  There were several quarries up the valley, most now back filled they all crushed the stone using the stream to turn water wheels.  

Near the bottom, what became known as the Big Wheel was built.  Still recognizable but derelict and a child's playground - now we call them 'vandals' - since the mid 20th century It remains in situ with roofless mill buildings either side and remains of rail tracks leading from the quarry, but it was always man powered, layout wise of course it will be steam powered!

The Big Wheel is now officially Listed, and there is a lot of interest from Industrial Archaeologists who wish to see this bit of history preserved, and shoring up of most 'at risk' bits has happened!!      So the cry as always, 'Go West' my man!

Nice to have a listed building on the layout [potentially??  Mind it might be reduced to the scenic background!

Regards   Peter

Archived