Respectable O Gauge MK3s

• RMweb Gold

I guess it's about time I started a thread on here for my O Gauge MK3 coaches so to kick things off, let's get the formalities out of the way.

Firstly, I'm pretty new to railway modelling proper, my modelling skills are best described as 'learning', I'm not a train spotter and I don't wear an anorak. I do, however, have a passion for modern image, like watching trains whiz by, have liked trains since the age of 3 and suffer quite badly with the 'I'm not sure that's right' syndrome also known as mild OCD. I'm also quite partial to the HST.

Ok, now that we've got that out of the way, I really want an O Gauge HST.

Now I know PRMRP do a brass kit for both the power cars and MK3 coaches but there's two issues here. 1) The windows are wrong on the coaches (I'm not slating Pete Snr and Pete Jnr - I know them both), and 2) despite Pete and Dave (Lowery) trying to explain, I'm way off possessing the skills to build the brass kits. Trust me, I'm trying very hard to learn with a class 47!

That brings me to the old Skytrex MK3 coach which looks about as much like a MK3 as a London Bus. Hmmm, OK, that's a bit harsh but it's probably true. They're also £90 from Dave @ Skytrex and made of plastic, which made it rude not to grab one and see what I could do with it.

In the box you get 2 sides, 2 ends, a floor, a roof, glazing, seats, cast bogies and some gangway ends. You still need some wheels but that'll give you a complete coach for around £110! It's also not a bad kit (for a beginner like me) either if you ignore the errors.

As mentioned, I'm no Brian Daniels, but encouraged by reading his, and other people's threads, I set about correcting the errors. In case anyone isn't aware, they are:

Coach ends look like a MK2 and gangways are completely the wrong shape

Roof Vents are too small

Windows are too big, toilet window is too small and missing the cross bar

Tumblehome is er.....a 20 degree angle

Equipment box (underneath the coach) is too wide and has a strange squared off shape at each end

The bogies are very basic.

post-18825-0-94642500-1485796302_thumb.jpg

From the list above, I figured that if the ends were corrected, the window issue wouldn't stand out so much because even though they're too big, they actually sit in the right place on the coach side. So out with the filler and a file to create that unique MK3 coach shape!

post-18825-0-06517300-1485796273_thumb.jpg

It's far from perfect but at least it looks like a MK3 now.

I also took a file to the tumblehome to remove the angle and make it as curved as I could.

I've added some basic detail to the bogies which again isn't 100% correct but it gave me an idea of what needed doing. 

post-18825-0-01369100-1485796286_thumb.jpg

I know the painting isn't great but I can correct that later.

Next up, the gangway ends.....

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 9

Fantastic stuff! I too bought one of these as a possible solution to the PRMP Mk3 coach problem and am very impressed by your modifications. By how much would you say the windows are too big? I've also got the PMRP power cars which I look forward to making up one day when I've got the time and possibly somewhere to run them! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers

Simon

Nice work, these coaches are a bit late for me but I do like to see some kit bashing.  I'm a bit OCD myself.  These kits seem to be along the lines of Kirk coach kits parts packs (although these seem to be accurate mouldings) which can produce a recognisable model from the parts pack but you do need bought in details (wheels, seats, buffers .....).

John

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, looking forward to seeing this develop. Though not into BR that late, I quite like the idea of an HST. Will you be building PMRP power cars?

Peter

If you're on Facebook Peter, you can follow the project onthe O Gauge HST page. The power cars will be a resin kit.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic stuff! I too bought one of these as a possible solution to the PRMP Mk3 coach problem and am very impressed by your modifications. By how much would you say the windows are too big? I've also got the PMRP power cars which I look forward to making up one day when I've got the time and possibly somewhere to run them! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers

Simon

They're about 1mm too wide. The toilet windows are too narrow and in the wrong place.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Gold

In between all of the other things I've currently got on the go, I managed to get some more work done of the MK3 coach this weekend.

The body itself is almost there, with just a little more work to be done to the ends by way of sanding and a couple of weather strips to be added

post-18825-0-50431100-1486378268_thumb.jpg

I know the inspection hatch is wrong but at the moment, I can't be bothered to grind it off and make it bigger - it'll do for now.

The gangway end has also come along in leaps and bounds....

post-18825-0-53942200-1486378279_thumb.jpg

There's a few little issues whereby the rubbing strip looks too wide (which will be corrected once I open up the corridor) and the rubber gator could do with reshaping but once these have been cast, I'll amend them due to it being easier to file the resin. I'll need to make a new door too as the current one is wrong.

The bogies are almost finished and ready for recasting with the correct details for bot LHCS and HST variants so next up will be the new roof vents and the buffer beams.

As always, watch this space......

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An interesting project, and some nice work so far which looks like it'll produce a decent result.  Only thing is, you need to do it all over again.  And again.  And again ... til you have a full set!  My current Mk4 project is already getting a bit repetitive, and that's much simpler and in OO, I look forward to seeing the finished result, buth the one coach and the full set, it should look quite impressive in O.  I notice the pic of the NR Mk3 on your screen in the background above, is this going to be a yellow HST?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An interesting project, and some nice work so far which looks like it'll produce a decent result.  Only thing is, you need to do it all over again.  And again.  And again ... til you have a full set!  My current Mk4 project is already getting a bit repetitive, and that's much simpler and in OO, I look forward to seeing the finished result, buth the one coach and the full set, it should look quite impressive in O.  I notice the pic of the NR Mk3 on your screen in the background above, is this going to be a yellow HST?

There's still a bit of work to do but it's not far off. Once I've corrected the errors, new parts will be cast (I'm working with a couple of people on the O Gauge HST Project - please see Facebook if you're on social media) so a rake of MK3's should be a doddle to make.

This particular coach is going to be our demo and will be one of the later FGW (though not the current GWR one) versions all though a Flying Banana would make an interesting model :-)

Cheers

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Due to being busy with a million and one other projects, I've not had a chance to update this thread.

Progress has been good, if a little slow and this is the result so far...

post-18825-0-48245300-1497259244_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-88422600-1497259246_thumb.jpg

Annoyingly, I managed to chip the paint!

post-18825-0-27601300-1497259249_thumb.jpg

And here we are waiting for the corridor ends to come back from the supplier and some transfers from Steve at Railtec.

post-18825-0-68284000-1497259251_thumb.jpg

It's never going to be 100% perfect but it's been a lot of fun hacking the kit around to make it look like a MK3. I could've gone a bit further by adding door handles and hand rails but I'm still learning to add the detail so maybe I'll do it at a later date.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 7

• 5 months later...

Hi Mike, 

Aware that you have lots of other items on the go, but has there been any progress on this to date. Amazing work so far and certainly makes one interested in O Gauge, because of the Modern Image look that is missed by the main manufacturer's aside from a few. 

Cheers

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, 

Aware that you have lots of other items on the go, but has there been any progress on this to date. Amazing work so far and certainly makes one interested in O Gauge, because of the Modern Image look that is missed by the main manufacturer's aside from a few. 

Cheers

Hi Buddy, I've only just seen this so apologies for the delayed reply!

Coach ends are done, as are the gangways. I'm just sorting out a few issues with the bogies and I should be able to have the whole coach, minus the detailing, on it's own two feet!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I suppose an update is long over due so here's where I'm at with this project.

Due to circumstances in my personal life, work and other projects (Oak Road), the MK3 has taken a bit of a back seat and has sat in it's box for a over 6 months so it's probably easier to list everything that's been done to date, including a few bits and pieces this weekend.

• Coach ends completely reshaped
  • New gangway ends made (more accurate profile than the ones in the previous post above)

post-18825-0-02890400-1532341102_thumb.jpg

• Bogies corrected (as best I could) and swing link detail added
  • Bogies widened (will make a proper plate)
  • Wheels from Peatree

post-18825-0-04584800-1532341088_thumb.jpg

• Equipment box cut off and narrowed
  • Coach side filed down as best as possible to make the wrong tumblehome appear less wrong

post-18825-0-66711700-1532341144_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-71280000-1532341154_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-58238500-1532341075_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-85166000-1532341109_thumb.jpg

• Weatherstrip added above doors
  • Aircon hatch grab handles fitted

post-18825-0-92374100-1532341119_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-21339400-1532341065_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-36925900-1532341094_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-28409100-1532341130_thumb.jpg

Still to do:

• Weatherstrips on roof ends
  • Roof vents
  • Gangway doors
  • Jumper sockets
  • Aircraft style seats
  • Transfers
  • Windows

Hopefully, it'll be finished for Dave to display on his Skytrex stand at Warley in November.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 1

Just found this thread, nice job, definitely captured the look alright.

Do I spot a Big Big Mk2 coach hiding in one of the photos, is that

the start of another project?

I ask because I'm doing a couple of cut-n-shut projects for my club,

first was to extend the standard B/B coach by cutting in the extra

door and window to make it look more like a TSO/SO. I've also

done an FO, and I'm about to tackle both a BSO & BFK, all from

the basic B/B coaches. I know they are now slightly too long, as

against far too short, but they look right, and have been favourably

received at the club.

I've been doing the same with the Lima Mk1's, the list so far, 1 x RMB,

1 x RBR, 1 x FK, 1 x SK, still to do, FO, SO and with luck, a Sleeper!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just found this thread, nice job, definitely captured the look alright.

Do I spot a Big Big Mk2 coach hiding in one of the photos, is that

the start of another project?

I ask because I'm doing a couple of cut-n-shut projects for my club,

first was to extend the standard B/B coach by cutting in the extra

door and window to make it look more like a TSO/SO. I've also

done an FO, and I'm about to tackle both a BSO & BFK, all from

the basic B/B coaches. I know they are now slightly too long, as

against far too short, but they look right, and have been favourably

received at the club.

I've been doing the same with the Lima Mk1's, the list so far, 1 x RMB,

1 x RBR, 1 x FK, 1 x SK, still to do, FO, SO and with luck, a Sleeper!  

Cheers Jeff, you do indeed spy a BBT coach, that's in the process of becoming a MK2f, with the help of a couple of friends. We've worked out that they should measure 448.89mm (449mm) over body which is the correct scale length. These are going to have overlays so we're not too fussed about window location. Shaun Davidson, no longer of this forum, has done a cracking MK2a

Cheers

Mike

Edited by scoobyra

I should have said that I'm doing a basic job only, they start off

at 405mm long, mine are coming out at 475mm. So instead of

being 6' 6" short (and lacking a door & window), they are about

3' 6" too long, but look right!

Also I'm only attempting Mk2a and Mk2z variations, there is

no way I'm re-doing the doors to the later wrap-around style!

Good luck with your Mk2f conversion!

• RMweb Gold

I should have said that I'm doing a basic job only, they start off

at 405mm long, mine are coming out at 475mm. So instead of

being 6' 6" short (and lacking a door & window), they are about

3' 6" too long, but look right!

Also I'm only attempting Mk2a and Mk2z variations, there is

no way I'm re-doing the doors to the later wrap-around style!

Good luck with your Mk2f conversion!

You can get them the right length as a MK2a Jeff, you just have to get the windows right. If you need any glazing, Philip @ Intentio can laser cut them 

Hi Mike, that looks very good indeed. Looking forward to seeing it at Warley if you take along. And then I can decide how many to buy and whether I'll ever have the time to make up an HST!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, that looks very good indeed. Looking forward to seeing it at Warley if you take along. And then I can decide how many to buy and whether I'll ever have the time to make up an HST!

Cheers

Simon

Cheers Simon

It's taken me forever to get this far, due to having very little skills in what I'm trying to achieve but hopefully, once it's finished, it'll be way simpler for people to buy the bits from Dave at Skytrex and make them up in a day. It's a relatively cheap coach if you just want an HST trailer, it's when you want to make the MK3a variant, or want to put modern seats in, that it starts to get expensive. It'll never be good enough for the purists but it's a simple to build kit for someone with basic modelling skills.

• RMweb Gold

With all the faffing around, the coach wouldn't be complete without it's First Great Western branding, so right on cue, Steve at Railtec sent these little beauties through to me this morning....

post-18825-0-43837700-1532605866_thumb.jpg

Once they're on, I'll put the windows in and it'll almost be ready to go bar a couple of bits and pieces. 

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is looking fantastic, will you be at Telford with it? I might be tempted to have a go at a couple of Scotrail ones if it ends up not too difficult/expensive!

Thanks. Unfortunately no, I'm at an exhibition with my OO Gauge layout that weekend but Dave will be there with the original coaches. I've no idea how much he'll want for the new bits but if you're doing Scotrail coaches, you'll need to be modelling MK3a versions

You can get them the right length as a MK2a Jeff, you just have to get the windows right. If you need any glazing, Philip @ Intentio can laser cut them 

I'm sure you can, but this is a quick(!), budget conversion/upgrade for the club layout.

They are, as the saying goes, 'layout coaches'; if they were mine, I might be doing the

job differently, I'm just creating a reasonable rake for those with BR Blue locos.

• Like 1