Respectable O Gauge MK3s

• RMweb Gold

The mk3 coach looks very impressive with the work done on it.

How many are you building for your HST

Thanks. I'm going to do the whole OC38 set, so a TF, TRUB, 5 TSOs and a TGS. The TRUB is going to be a challenge as I'll need to convert a TF / TSO trailer but I have a plan! If the TGS conversion works then I'll follow the same process for the buffet. I'm even contemplating coach B with the disabled toilet!

• Like 1

Thanks. Unfortunately no, I'm at an exhibition with my OO Gauge layout that weekend but Dave will be there with the original coaches. I've no idea how much he'll want for the new bits but if you're doing Scotrail coaches, you'll need to be modelling MK3a versions

I'm guessing there is quite a lot of difference to do a MK3a, I'm not hot on coaches!  I'll take a good look at them at Telford but have a number of other projects on the go! Maybe at some point.

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing there is quite a lot of difference to do a MK3a, I'm not hot on coaches!  I'll take a good look at them at Telford but have a number of other projects on the go! Maybe at some point.

There's a few differences, mainly the roof vents, jumper sockets, handrails and buffers. The bogies are different too.

• RMweb Gold

The MK3 has got just about as far as it can go for the minute due to a bit of a disaster with the transfers. All was going so well until I damaged one of the dynamic lines transfers and that put a halt to proceedings until I can get Steve at Railtec to make me some more! 

Anyway, here's the results so far...

post-18825-0-56103600-1532960365_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-41042900-1532960337_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-25590400-1532960328_thumb.jpg

I've also had a little mess around with the seats that came with it, just to fill up the space. The painting is shocking but they'll do for now...

post-18825-0-60142900-1532960353_thumb.jpg

And finally, I temporarily attached the equipment box just to show what the coach looks like in near enough one piece.

post-18825-0-40404600-1532960345_thumb.jpg

The gangways will be sent off for casting on Thursday with some door plates made by Philip at Intentio (intentio.co.uk), and the revised coach ends will follow suit. All in all it's looking much better than it did originally, even with by orange peel paint and shocking masking up!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I tried the glazing last night to see how it looked - it's not dark enough so I'll give it another coat of tint and see how I get on...

post-18825-0-89102600-1533037117_thumb.jpg

There also appears to be a 'Russian Doll' theme going on....

post-18825-0-55197700-1533037122_thumb.jpg

I doubt there's too many people have exactly the same coach in S, M and L!  :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The new short HST sets of 2+4 cars on GWR and Scotrail seem a good opportunity for a manufacturer to offer a compact HST in gauge 0. The new air doors are the only changes needed on the trailer body, and of course the livery. It just needs a pair of power cars. Surprising no-one has announced a RTR class 43 and trailer in gauge 0. Only two body and two chassis/bogie mouldings required. Ideal for garden railways and continuous run exhibition layouts.

The Brush works at Loughborough usually has a pair in the works yard after overhaul.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, I'll have a go at the smoke paint! Did you fit each window individually?

Cheers

Simon

The windows are moulded in pairs Simon, and fit from behind. I've not fixed them permanently yet as I've got to add the rest of the transfers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since I've updated this thread but the MK3 is almost there!

post-18825-0-44862400-1542299998_thumb.jpg

The roof does fit properly, it's just not pushed down.

Still missing the gangway ends which are on there way back from Skytrex, the toilet windows and drop lights, and the emergency steps. It's still a long way off of being prototypical but I never claimed it would be an exact replica of a MK3 HST trailer, however I'm pleased with it considering it looks nothing like the kit I started out with.

The windows aren't as flush as they should be so going forwards, it maybe an idea to file off the frames and ask Brian at Shawplan to knock up some etched ones. The bogies are also missing the yaw bars but I'm not that concerned about them just yet. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Things have slowed up a bit on the MK3 lately due to work and a number of other projects, but here's the almost completed coach, shown at the Stafford show earlier this years using the excellent Netherwood Sidings as a backdrop.

2142404845_MK3OutandAbout.jpg.edc0e4b9f26c2102135e15a1b504be48.jpg

All that's really left to do is correct the gangway ends and add the roof vents along some couplings.

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 4