Web Forms on model railway traders' websites.

Claire  RJ

Has anyone else had the experience of completing a web form on a model railway trader's website and never receiving a reply?  My thinking is that if facilities are provided to ask questions then one should at least receive a reply. If the trader does not bother to reply then they should not expect to do business via the internet. 

Sometimes they may not actually receive a notification due to ISP/software spam filtering - a lot of contact forms get used by spammers hence leading to them getting trapped in some cases.

Sometimes the trader may not be available to give a reply if they are away.

If they have a contact number you may find it worth trying to call them.

The trader may not have physical premises, an office or trading hours and may be a 'cottage industry' who can only support a business via the 'net/mail order route.

Sometimes they may not actually receive a notification due to ISP/software spam filtering - a lot of contact forms get used by spammers hence leading to them getting trapped in some cases.

That is true, Andy, but it begs the question as to why web forms are used unless they are supplemented with a human captcha thingie, which are generally good at deterring the spammers.

That is true, Andy, but it begs the question as to why web forms are used unless they are supplemented with a human captcha thingie, which are generally good at deterring the spammers.

I can totally understand how Captcha can work in the war against spammers, but it drives me to distraction. Just the other day, I attempted to make contact with a small trader.

"Select all images with a store front"

Did that. No, Captcha wasn't happy.

"Select all squares with street signs"

Ah. That's easy, there's only one square with a street sign. Click.

"Select all images with a store front".

What? How did that not work? Forget it... where's the phone?

I usually have no problems using the internet and navigating websites, but when technology causes my greying hair and balding head to get even more grey and baldy, I often wish it was 1978 again.

• 1 month later...

I ditched the captcha years ago for a simple maths question as I had lots of customers struggle with clicking on pictures and typing text. Says a lot for the customers that they could not get it right, but if the obstacles are removed then more will be able to purchase products easily. So far no complaints.

Archived