RM Evans.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Looks scratch-built or kit-built to me, probably by somebody called Evans.  :O  

Possibly built to order by a model shop proprietor?

The apparent age of it suggests it's rather too good to be r-t-r.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

R M Evans was one of the model railway manufacturers in the early 1950s.  They manufactured this pannier and also a 3F tank as brass kits and chassis components, as well as making individual models to customers' requirements.

They also manufactured components for other suppliers.  All the loco fittings, chimneys, domes, coupling rods and so on, sold by ERG (Bournemouth) were made by Evans, as were the very comprehensive range of varnish-fix transfers available at the time.

I understand that the tools and equipment from R M Evans were bought by K's when they started their business making white metal kits in the mid 1950s.  At that time R M Evans moved to larger scale live steam models and as Martin Evans became editor of the "Model Engineer" and designer of many successful models.

Frank

• Informative/Useful 1

post-11251-0-88123000-1487102979.jpg

Here is a picture of the completed loco with RM Evans chassis, from their 1949 catalogue, body kit price 35s.

The chassis parts from the same Evans catalogue were

F10  OO Frame Stretchers                   6d. each

F13  Main Frames for 3F                      5s. pair

F17  Coupling Rod for 3F (32x34mm)  3s. 6d. pair

EM Frame Stretchers were not available at that time. 

Alternatively a complete chassis with 5-pole motor was

3-rail  £6  2s.

2-rail  £6  8s.

Frank

Edited by D51

• 8 months later...

attachicon.gifR M Evans Jinty.jpg

Here is a picture of the completed loco with RM Evans chassis, from their 1949 catalogue, body kit price 35s.

The chassis parts from the same Evans catalogue were

F10  OO Frame Stretchers                   6d. each

F13  Main Frames for 3F                      5s. pair

F17  Coupling Rod for 3F (32x34mm)  3s. 6d. pair

EM Frame Stretchers were not available at that time. 

Alternatively a complete chassis with 5-pole motor was

3-rail  £6  2s.

2-rail  £6  8s.

Frank

What a great picture, thanks for the information - here's one I built slightly more recently - it's still being painted in fact. Bought it on ebay for £13 about a year ago.post-30882-0-09982800-1508928847_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 6 months later...

And here she is, finished at last. Not quite as much detail as a Bachmann but it must have been quite something in the late '40s. More importantly much more fun getting to this stage than buying a Bachmann! Had to add some missing details, including a new smokebox wrapper, and my kit had no chassis so this one is scratchbuilt with Gibson rods and Judith Edge brakes. The wheels are the ones that came with the kit - Romford style, reasonably fine, but with brass tyres. They fitted Romford axles anyway, and it was good to be able to re-use them, more in keeping with the kit than my usual Gibson wheels.

post-30882-0-19390800-1525244967_thumb.jpg

• Like 8