Posted Image

The 2018 OO Wishlist is now live - please read the Guide pages here before voting.

Photo

ozamrr 00/HO scale indoor,outdoor garden railway

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#151 ozamrr

ozamrr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationIpswich QLD Australia

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:04

Hi Ian, I have being busy working on my layout bus wiring, sure takes time and at night being working on my other hobby modelling a RO, RO ship based in the Port of London Tor Corona  Seaways, in 1/87 scale  to fit the 1/87 scale trailers and containers and what ever else I can model as a load.

Thanks for your link will save that so I can keep an eye on your progress, I had a look at Dirranbandi on Google Earth, couldn't find the railway station, from what I saw on the net they were saying they didn't think the station would last mach longer all boarded up, now I am interested in the branch line it's self where it started form and if possible an old map, I like the history of old branch lines like the Boonah branch where my dad's family settled in the 1880's.

There actually is a train that goes to Toowoomba , Brisbane t Charleville  called the Westlander.

I am on a high with the wiring on of a switch to switch off the track after the 3 way point so I uncouple the lead loco  so it will drive onto another block and the second loco continue on to the right island platform and the other half on the passenger train backed in with another loco, the train is called the Indian Pacific has 28 passenger, I have enough coaches to make up the train and the right locos.

Here are the pics, first 3 pics of the of the loco after uncoupling, pic four, the white extension, pics 5 and 6 the switch in position, I drilled a hole big enough so I switch can be protected when the module in stored in the garden shed.

Pic  7 putting some plus on the pic the right hand point between the three way and double slip cross over is an Electrofrog point, after seeing a few you tube videos I hope to fit the partiality issues, a bit of work though, they say to switch partiality with the peco point motor and point switch, I am asking if I can do the same with a SPST switch .

I have never being able to get this point working now I know why, all ways make  sure you have bought the right point, at least I will be able to use that point and not waste it as the Peco express points are quite dear  nearly $40 now, the first job tomorrow is fit the point .

The other big change is I switched the diamond around with the  double slip , better access to the island platform, not sure if I will motorize all the points on this module  most probable  have some sort of manual set up so I don't have to bend over to switch the points and cross overs.

I from nice cool down under.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg
  • 007.jpg

• Like x 2

#152 ozamrr

ozamrr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:25

It has being a few months since last post, I have finely sorted out the switches, ended up buying two toggle switches with just two pins and they worked, took a while get them to work, on a high, I now can switch off half f the block so the lead loco can move onto to the next block and second loco with half of the Indian Pacific passenger cars move off with the second loco to the right side of the island platform.

The other half of the train  gets backed in on the left platform with another loco, I can't wait for this to happen, there is a second block with an other toggle switch to switch off half of that block fro the IP locos to shunt past the platform at the end of her journey a round the layout a few times.

Pics 001, 002 and 003 is with the green LED on for forward, reverse yellow and both LEDs on switch is off, pics 4 and 5 the second block with candy dancer as a test loco, bingo working, worth the effort.

the very last two pics 1870 and 1872, 1870 the terminal strips are of the 20 blocks joining in to connect to the main control panel, I wired in a couple more today, more tomorrow, I am going to complete this module, still got three sets of train to nail down, will do that over the weekend, hopefully finish the block wiring merging into terminal strips.

I will use thinner wire of the terminus track  being short blocks to the main panel thicker wire on the main line. I have seen on other forums that some modules  use the track rails as the main bus even with DCC, I will do the same only on the bridge blocks and run the bus wires to the the the module close to the panel saving on wire.

I am working on the station module bus wiring most of them have bus wire, have changed the bus wire plugs to the side of the modules now, should of done that in the first place will be finished now, once all the module wiring is finished will be full swing into the last stretch of the layout leveling the smaller sections, all goes well Christmas time for the very first train.

Tony from down under.

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg
  • 005.JPG
  • IMG_1870.jpg
  • IMG_1872.jpg

• Like x 2

#153 Owd Bob

Owd Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationLeigh, Lancs'

Posted 13 September 2018 - 13:10

Nice to see you back and still working hard on the indoors/outdoors railway  :sungum: gets a bit lonely on this forum sometimes being a garden railway modeler :jester: Suppose your Spring is coming now Tony?

• Friendly/Supportive x 1

#154 ozamrr

ozamrr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 23:27

Hi Owd Bob, Thanks , taking a while to do the wiring, I wan't to plug in the main control panel, it is awesome, every position has a LED  light , big effort  to have three throttles  for DC.

I have bring busy at night working on a model of a RO,RO ship  in 1/87 scale , she be a monster when finished , 2.160 meters in length  305mm beam 388mm high to the water line, she is a London  based ship, I like th e design of her, the only type that will fit under  the bridge I be building..

The bow of the ship was very hard to build, took three attempts to do so , I am glad it is done, all I have to do now is fill in all the gapes with plaster, doing that today , and sand smooth, can move onto the next bulkhead wont be as hard , ship is in 4 sections , out of 1mm cardboard sheets, will be stunning when finished, be the main feature of the layout.

The last pic I have nailed down the three tracks to the right of the pic ready to wire in the bus wires, only 8 more  blocks to do now, slowly running out of wire, I use thinner wires  that are only short blocks   and close to the terminal strip and thicker wire for the main line.

In the end it be worth the big effort to have it all working, I be as close as I can to DCC , if I was to change to DCC easy to change the DC wiring terminal strip in joined up all of the 20 blocks on the other side to two wires coming from the layout,, can only dream .

It is warming up here , cool morning, still wearing a jacket, once the wiring is finished on the modules full swing into working on the last stage of the layout in setting up the smaller deck sections and bridge, it be cooling down in the UK now, no more hot days 

Tony from down under.

Attached Thumbnails

• 12225749224_c87a1c7cca_a.jpg
  • Hafnia 1.jpg
  • IMG_1907.jpg

• Like x 1

#155 ozamrr

ozamrr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 23:34

I have finished the bus wiring on the module that be connecting to the main control panel, all it is  CD wire madness, just to have three throttles working on DC, I can do what DCC can with the aid of toggle switches,

Yesterday I crimped on the connectors and started clamping down the wires, but the wire clips I am using are too small will get the  next size up today  and replace the others and line them all up closer to the edge of the timber so it be easy to plug the spade connectors.

Pic one I have the wires coded and them paired off to the double plugs making it easy to plug up , pic two the wire madness,, wish I got the black wires two cables in them , haven't enough to male up the cables, will need more, leave that till after the weeks holiday in early October,, not far away can't wait..

Pic three the connectors , pic four nearly finished connectors being clamped down , need to buy the next size wire clip today, once I finish clamping the connectors down will solder the feeders to the track and that module is finely done, move onto the next, have bus wires plugs on it and switch the feeder wires around and same with the next on, completing all the modules 

Then can move onto getting stuck into the last stage of the layout setting up the small decking , bridge and spiral so I can start nailing track down and final stage the bus wiring, have decided not to have bus wiring on the bridge, be using the rails, joining  them up with feeder wires saving on all that wire . In stead will make up a lead from where the bridge is close to the control panel, fingers crossed Christmas time for the first train to be running, big day.

Tony from down under, first storm predicted for spring 

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.jpg
  • 002.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 004.jpg

• Like x 1

#156 ozamrr

ozamrr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:14

The control panel is now finely connected to the layout by 5 blocks so far, run out of wire, won't be buying more till after the 15th of October and I have nailed down the rest of the connectors onto the board, looks good, if anyone has any better ideas, let me , the best way to connect the spades is have the control panel on the module up on the saw horses .

The two level step ladder has worked out perfectly with the right height for the control panel, I will have to make another stand for the second panel that will control the points, the first step is for the transformers all up four of them and two remote control recessives and one slide throttle for local shunting.

It is taking a while to wire the modules, two more to go to sort out and wire in plugs at one end.

Off  for a weeks holiday on Next Sunday, won't get much work done on the layout this week, hopping to get a couple of days in setting up three of the the modules so I start on the curve sections coming off the car port corner module will have double track extra length for the Indian Pacific when coming into Camdale Union station.

While at night I be designing the new station building, based on Sydney Central and New Orleans Union station, wont be having a clock tower, fingers crossed trains running by Christmas time, big event.

Tony from down under

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.jpg
  • 005.jpg
  • 006.jpg
  • IMG_1966.jpg

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 1