BRM appoints new ‘Managing Editor – Railways’

Andy Y

BRM appoints new ‘Managing Editor – Railways’

We are delighted to announce that Andy McVittie will be joining the BRM Team as Managing Editor across all of our titles within the Railways Portfolio. Andy’s first day will be on February 20th, 2017.

Andy has an impressive CV, having started his career at Emap (now Bauer Media) working as Production Editor on the company’s computer game titles. He later went on to become the Deputy Editor and then Editor of the Nintendo Official Magazine.

During his time with Emap he also relaunched Garden News, took operational control of the golf scheme 2-Fore!-1 and became General Manager for Active Create – a customer publishing unit with titles in a variety of markets.

Commenting on the appointment, Steve Cole – publisher of the Railways Portfolio – had this to say: “Very few people have the ability to craft a magazine to an extremely high standard. Even fewer are able to do this in markets that they have little knowledge of. Andy is an exception, as his CV proves.

“When I first met Andy I instantly knew that he was the right man for the job. His plans for BRM are exciting, as are his thoughts on how to link all of our magazines and websites to their mutual benefit. He’s a magazine expert who’ll be surrounded by railway modelling experts – a combination that I know will further enhance our position as ‘The UK’s fastest-growing model railway magazine.”

Andy’s role will stretch across all of our titles, websites and exhibitions with the aim of improving each individual title and using our mass of media to continue our sales growth.

If you have any questions, please contact stevec@warnersgroup.co.uk

The Warners Group Publications Railways Portfolio includes:

BRM

BRM TV

Narrow Gauge World

Traction

Garden Rail

RMweb.co.uk

World-of-Railways.co.uk

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see in his online CV that he has 8 recommendations/endorsements (of the nice sort) for 'Digital strategy' and a  similar number for 'Digital media' so are we going to see some changes of emphasis I wonder? (although not to worry as he seems not to be heavily into 'online publishing'.  

And like Chard whatever the numbers might say the best of luck to him in his new role.

• RMweb Gold

Impressive CV.  

Some might say it reads like a Transport Minister's.   :angel:

... I could not possibly comment.

Banter aside, I wish him luck taking over this well-respected publication.

I agree - the previous occupants of the Editor's chair are tough acts to follow.

It will be interesting to see BRM's future "direction of travel".

I hope we also get the chance to get to know the new Editor - via this site and a Q&A session or group discussion in a "BRM Theatre" presentation at "Ally Pally".

Whatever the score, all the best.

Regards,

Huw.

Presumably he won't actually be editing BRM itself?

If he *is*, he will be only the second non-model-railway journalist to edit a model railway magazine (the first being Roy Johnstone--the last editor of Model Railways).

Hmmm, wonder what ever happened to that one...!

I appreciate that producing a monthly/4 weekly is a tough gig, but I hope the new ME will appoint a good sub-editor. Sadly, this month's issue has a few nasty typos, an over-use of 'screamers!' in one feature and good do with a good hard sub. It would make it more readable and free a little space. I wish him and the rest of the team good luck.

• RMweb Gold

We are delighted to announce that Andy McVittie will be joining the BRM Team as Managing Editor across all of our titles within the Railways Portfolio.

Well, that takes the biscuit....

Does this mean that BRM is about to become a "coffee table magazine"?

I just hope there is some knowledge of the model railway hobby in there somewhere.

What is most important is the dedication to crafting a good magazine and managing the content and processes to make sure there is a complete and balanced magazine every four weeks. For that we need someone whose main focus is in the production of the magazine in the office. Between the team we are not short on sourcing or originating content and have existing relationships within the hobby. I am sure Andy will be quite comfortable in dealing with commercial aspects of the magazine and will become attuned to the modelling hobby as he has with other interests over the years. You don't have to be an expert within a field to manage the processes and the publications within the department and to differentiate between average and good content, making sure we have the imagery and that articles are a good read etc.; for any technical or detailed information he has plenty of bodies to talk to. None of us is an expert in all aspects of the hobby (in any publication) but a passion and commitment to produce a good magazine isn't necessarily dependent on deep knowledge levels. 

• RMweb Premium

What is most important is the dedication to crafting a good magazine and managing the content and processes to make sure there is a complete and balanced magazine every four weeks. For that we need someone whose main focus is in the production of the magazine in the office. Between the team we are not short on sourcing or originating content and have existing relationships within the hobby. I am sure Andy will be quite comfortable in dealing with commercial aspects of the magazine and will become attuned to the modelling hobby as he has with other interests over the years. You don't have to be an expert within a field to manage the processes and the publications within the department and to differentiate between average and good content, making sure we have the imagery and that articles are a good read etc.; for any technical or detailed information he has plenty of bodies to talk to. None of us is an expert in all aspects of the hobby (in any publication) but a passion and commitment to produce a good magazine isn't necessarily dependent on deep knowledge levels. 

Apparently Richard Branson cant fly an air liner.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding your obvious influence on this forum, will there be any minor / significant changes to RMweb ?  (well, someone had to say it...)

Notwithstanding your obvious influence on this forum, will there be any minor / significant changes to RMweb ?

Nothing specific at this stage although we hope that there can be better integration of such things as projects, challenges and discussions.

Nothing specific at this stage although we hope that there can be better integration of such things as projects, challenges and discussions.

That is all good to know. Thanks for the extra information. I look forward to seeing how the magazine develops. Greater interaction between the mag and this forum can only be a positive thing too.

• RMweb Gold

Does this mean that BRM is about to become a "coffee table magazine"?

On a serious matter, aside from biscuit related jokes. The CV looks good. I just hope there is some knowledge of the model railway hobby in there somewhere.

These are interesting points - I hope the magazines turn out as good as they sound.

Despite appearances, there were actually a number of points behind my "coffee table magazine" comment. There was certainly the inevitable biscuit / coffee pun.

However, it's possible you might have come across so-called "coffee table" books and magazines - which tend to be bought mainly to be displayed on coffee tables. They're often known for high quality graphic design, photos etc - and some people use them as conversation pieces, or to put across veneers of culture, intelligence or affluence.

OK - there's nothing wrong with making hobby magazines "aspirational" - and I'd be quite happy if this led to more people thinking about the hobby - however, I'm not convinced that "armchair modelling" has ever been particularly fulfilling (unless, of course, it involves building models of said armchairs)..

I don't pretend to be the world's best or most active modelmaker - never have and never will - but, at least, I actively wish to improve on my track record if / when I get the opportunity. In the meantime, I'd like to learn as much as I can - and pass on anything I've learnt outside the hobby - in case any of this stuff might prove useful.

Over the years, I've seen articles in Model Railroader, about people building coffee tables around layouts - sometimes large coffee tables, (as with an O gauge tram "tailchaser" I can remember a write-up of in one of their "layout specials"). Now that's what I call a conversation piece!

In practice, I can't see many of us having space for bespoke coffee tables, large enough to house this sort of layout. Fair enough - but a micro layout, with a removable cover, might work for some people.

Huw.

• Administrators

Just to echo Andy's point about Andy McV having plenty of model railway experts to call on. Putting together a magazine requires a huge amount of work that isn't related to the content. Everything from chasing contributors to making sure the printers use the correct paper and the thing gets out to the shops. No matter how much anyone knows about the flange nut on a GWR tank, it doesn't help with any of this!

There WILL be changes to the mag of course. Someone has said it's not the same magazine it was when launched, and that's no surprise. It's hardly the same hobby either. Magazines have to adapt or vanish and we'll continue to do one to avoid the other.

If you want a guide, Steve Cole knew loads about fishing and nothing about railway modelling when he found himself herding cats on BRM. Years later, he knows quite a lot about the hobby even though he's not a modeller, and still manages to keep smiling most of the time.

Me - I'm looking forward to the future. We have loads of new ideas in the team and by the sound of it, the more sensible ones are shared by our new editor.

----

Just in case anyone is thinking "We don't want new ideas. We like everything just the way it was in the old days", how about this from the January 1964 Meccano Magazine editorial:

Out in mid-February, the March issue will contain the regular articles on hobbies, road and track, railways, shipping, aircraft, space travel, which you have always enjoyed. In addition there will be news from all the model manufacturers month by month and also features about your favorite pop artists and TV personalities. Young men today are more interested than ever before in matters of style and taste, so we will present regular articles about clothes for the modern man.

Not ALL old ideas were great...

Out in mid-February, the March issue will contain the regular articles on hobbies, road and track, railways, shipping, aircraft, space travel, which you have always enjoyed. In addition there will be news from all the model manufacturers month by month and also features about your favorite pop artists and TV personalities. Young men today are more interested than ever before in matters of style and taste, so we will present regular articles about clothes for the modern man.

Ooooo, that sounds just like the aspirational, modern, foward thinking magazine that we'd all like BRM to be. Just mix in a bit about video games, football and drinking and it'll be a sure fire winner on the shelves of Smiffs with young males.

G.

My first post, hopefully not the last.

I don't buy any of the railway modelling magazines regularly, apart from MRJ. I understand that these are commercial enterprises and that they have to make money but I find that there is too much advertising content and that occasionally the editorial material is little more than "advertorial". I also find some of the photography and associated production to be rather

garish, with sometimes horribly obvious use of Photoshop or Lightroom to manipulate the images. If subtlety in modelling is to be encouraged then the magazines should set a suitable

standard themselves. It will be interesting to see what changes occur with BRM with this new leadership. I would be delighted to see more output from people like Paul Marshall-Potter.

Don't worry; we'll put some colouring pages in where you can use some pastel crayons or just a 4B pencil for shading and only issue future months on vellum. See page 141 for possible suppliers.

TN_tryannosaurus_clipart_02A_outline.jpg

Archived