Carflats

dagrizz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw the packs of cars for the Carflats when I last visited my local shop. The type of Carflat that Oxford have produced were considered freight vehicles and would have been used to transport new cars from the plant to the distribution centers or ports. They would not have mixed manufacturers types of cars, in many cases they may only have one type of car. I feel it might have been better for Oxford to offer a set of four BMC/Leyland cars, or four Fords or Vauxhalls. Perhaps they will do in the future.  

Having voiced my opinion on the car packs the Carflat looks good and the price of the car packs is very reasonable.

Clive does the same comment apply to the Bachmann car flats when the come out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If you look at the photo's of the real thing and the video, you'll notice that the chocks go with the long side to the floor. Also, where possible, they go both sides of the wheel.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thanks, so basically the end flap would fold down, shame they never bothered to make it so you could show it in that position, drat :(

I think the compromises in terms of looks and robustness, required to make it poseable, would have been deemed visually and operationally unacceptable to many.  In the field of freight, the same is true of wagon and van doors.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic,   I have finally got around to detailing and loading my MOTORAIL flats.  I have two oxford and two Bachmann, all in motorail blue.  As FVXs they are dual  brake compatible.  Past research has shown the Oxford type to have been in Motorail service in the 70s and Im sure I’ve seen images of the ex LMS and BR mark 1s working together.

My question is, how late a year could I get away with running this mixed rake as ‘MOTORAIL’?  I’m aiming for a very early 1980s holiday service.   Is this feasible, or are the ex LMS flats likely to be out of MOTORAIL service by then?

(I’m well aware of the ex- LMS ones beig used in industry throughout the 1980s)

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2021 at 08:08, Johnfromoz said:

Resurrecting an old topic,   I have finally got around to detailing and loading my MOTORAIL flats.  I have two oxford and two Bachmann, all in motorail blue.  As FVXs they are dual  brake compatible.  Past research has shown the Oxford type to have been in Motorail service in the 70s and Im sure I’ve seen images of the ex LMS and BR mark 1s working together.

My question is, how late a year could I get away with running this mixed rake as ‘MOTORAIL’?  I’m aiming for a very early 1980s holiday service.   Is this feasible, or are the ex LMS flats likely to be out of MOTORAIL service by then?

(I’m well aware of the ex- LMS ones beig used in industry throughout the 1980s)

As I’m building a layout of Kensington Olympia the Motorail part of this is quite important. I have yet to find a photo of any Motorail branded carflat that isn’t a Mk1 coach conversion. It’s quite possible unbranded ones may have been used especially in the early days or if there wasn’t enough Motorail ones available, such as peak Saturdays.

This photo from Flickr shows mainly non MK1 “freight” carflats on a Motorail service.......but it is much earlier than you are modelling. 

You’ll find some useful photos here....https://www.flickr.com/groups/2259775@N23/pool/

Hope that helps.

JF18f Class 47 Motorail Shap

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2