Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

MGR I'm with you, I quite like it as well...I like different.

I agree too. 

Obviously the blue ends and not yellow ends will take a bit of getting used to but I think it looks rather smart. It certainly catches the eye. 

Hopefully Dapol will produce some in model form in due course. 

I agree too. 

Obviously the blue ends and not yellow ends will take a bit of getting used to but I think it looks rather smart. It certainly catches the eye. 

Hopefully Dapol will produce some in model form in due course. 

Probably in the third batch of OO gauge Class 68s or second batch of N gauge Class 68s we'll see these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hattons latest email states the new locos should arrive in November...

On another positive 68's back on the Mountsorrel stone trains again.... 

Probably because a few 66s have started RHTT duties, although 66427 was on the Mountsorrel-Carlisle earlier today (now yesterday.........)

• RMweb Premium

To get the Halo lights to work, the 6 function decoder had to have AUX3/AUX4 as logic level outputs, thus limiting the available decoder to a very select few. ESU Loksounds/Lokpilot for example

Modifying a Class 68 board to make the Halos work with a full fat 6 function output decoder is actually quite easy. (It looks like Dapol originally designed the board that way, but modified it to work with logic outputs on Aux3/4)

I will be publishing instructions and pics on here in a day or two.....

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Here we go:

I was given a project to make the very-soon-to-be-released DCC Concepts Zen Z218-6 6 function decoder work the halo lights on a Dapol 68 

Ths is a description to make the Halo lights work from a the Z218-6, as well as being able to switch the tail lights on and off as required when hauling a train or light engine.
The Halo lights will not work with a 4 function decoder.

The Dapol 68 (first batch - see footnote) is configured to use a decoder with logic level outputs on AUX3/4 that are connected to the Halo lights. Hence why the ESU Loksound and Lokpilot are often the decoder of choice.

These modifications enable a DCC Concepts Z218-6 to be used. There may be different CV settings required to map the functions and lighting assignments for other makes of decoder. You will need to check the relevant decoder manufacturer info.

Remove the thin enamelled wire links on the circuit board between pin 20 of the decoder plug and the small component (transistor) at D4 and D8 on the board.

Circled in red.
post-408-0-44285600-1507919186_thumb.jpg

Solder a short wire link across the two solder pads at D4.
Repeat for D8
Circled in blue
post-408-0-24010500-1507919189_thumb.jpg

Decoder CV settings for a Z218-6

Those marked (*) are amended from the default settings.

Function output assignment
CV33=1 
CV34=4 (*)
CV35=2 (*)
CV36=8 
CV39=16
CV40=32

Output effect
CV49=0
CV50=32 (*)
CV51=16 (*)
CV52=32
CV53=32
CV54=32

The lights should work as follows.

F0 - 3 headlights work in directional mode with forward and reverse
F1 - tail lights at no1 end - not direction dependent
F2 - tail lights at no2 end - not direction dependent
F3 - Halo lights at no1 end - not direction dependent
F4 - Halo lights at no2 end - not direction dependent

The Halo lights and red tail lights are often not switched around when shunting in a depot

(They can easily be made direction dependent by altering CV50/52/53/54 respectively to 0 - forward/cab 1 leading, 16 reverse/cab 2 leading)

Set SW3 on the Dapol circuit board to position 1

First image - normal headlights on
second - halo only (they aren't that clear to see the ring, but it is there)
third - headlights and halo on 
red - tails only

post-408-0-27957500-1507919426_thumb.jpg

I forgot to switch off the cab lights via sw4 & 5 on the board ( personally, I'm not a fan of them). If you want to make the cablights DCC controlled, you'll have to add another decoder and do some more wiring changes.

Footnote - it looks like the original design of board was for a "full fat" output 6 function decoder, but was modfied by Dapol to suit the logic outputs of AUX3/4 from the ESU decoder.
 i do wonder if the next batch of 68s will have these same modifications, or will they use the original board design?

Cheers,
Mick
Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Am I right in thinking that the halo lights are akin to the "Yard Work" setting of two marker lights on older locos?

Saw one the other day running with just the halos illuminated, but it also had the top light lit, to still give a triangle of lights. Is this something Dapol have overlooked or is it separately switchable?

Jo

Great news! This time I will order a ScotRail version. But for ordering I am a little confused about the item numbers. Dapol's digest is showing the 4D-022-008 as ScotRail "Daring" and the 4D-022-009 as DRS "Astude". Hattons, Kernow and Rails showing them vice versa. Maybe just a little mistake on the Digest website?

Great news! This time I will order a ScotRail version. But for ordering I am a little confused about the item numbers. Dapol's digest is showing the 4D-022-008 as ScotRail "Daring" and the 4D-022-009 as DRS "Astude". Hattons, Kernow and Rails showing them vice versa. Maybe just a little mistake on the Digest website?

post-22366-0-81533900-1508844930_thumb.png

I get the impression that non of the RTR manufacturers are offering Mk3 coaches to match the Chiltern 68s. Is this true?

Regards

Yes you are correct, I did poll for this one on the Oxford Rail survey...

Hopefully in the 2018 release list.

Interesting . I have been lobbying Oxford Rail since they announced the Mk3s. Certainly requests to accommodate different door types in the tooling has been allowed. Stated to me several times and repeated in the Model Railway Press. But was told also, it would be a long time to wait for the Chilterns, if at all.... Since this, I did lobby both Hattons and Rails to consider commissioning Oxford produce the Rail Door Solutions plug door on these Mk3s as special editions. Did anyone else? If a thousand of us do, they might get produced! 

• Like 1

Interesting . I have been lobbying Oxford Rail since they announced the Mk3s. Certainly requests to accommodate different door types in the tooling has been allowed. Stated to me several times and repeated in the Model Railway Press. But was told also, it would be a long time to wait for the Chilterns, if at all.... Since this, I did lobby both Hattons and Rails to consider commissioning Oxford produce the Rail Door Solutions plug door on these Mk3s as special editions. Did anyone else? If a thousand of us do, they might get produced!

There is also the DVT to think of too

Regards

• 2 weeks later...