Install a decoder into a Heljan 'O' class 40

wychcan

I am installing a ESU loksound L V 4.0 sound decoder into my Heljan class 40, o gauge, ok so all the wiring is either red or black, this I can work out, but when it comes to the head/tail lighting boards I need some help, advice or even photos. Should the lighting boards be replaced, ie LED's, or can it be modified to show the individual lighting that is used for the head and tail codes?

Thanks in advance if someone has the answers

Nigel

• 3 years later...

Nigel, hi, did you ever get replies to this. View the timescale I assume this got sorted.  I have the same question.  Am normally ok on DCC wiring but not wired a Heljan model with the printed circuit board lights.  The way the loco is wired suggests the forward white and rear red lights are paired, and alternate according to direction.  Can you leave like that or is it a new start.  Anyway, any comments appreciated.  If its easier and as this is now so old reply direct to me on robertwm310@hotmail.com

thanks 

• RMweb Premium

Beware that some Heljan locos are wired with a common negative wheres DCC decoders are (I believe) based on a common positive.

Wiring the rear red and front white as a pair is normal although I believe some locos have a switch for disabling the red light for when it is running at the head of a train. That can be configured with a decoder but will depend on how any decoder sound file is configured. I presume the same can be done with non-sound decoders by just using some of the function wiring and setting the relevant CV values accordingly. I've not had much experience with ESU decoders having mainly installed Zimo (sound) decoders in my mate's O gauge Heljans.