"Ceilinscombe Down"

larryblag

A fresh start, finally with the space I've always wanted. A tendency to be overfaced now with the sudden expanse I'm going to tackle it in a modular fashion.

Here are a few initial pics and I've even changed some things already.

I'll post more when I have them but basically it's a twin track oval now with a rudimentary station and goods areas. Single slip gives access to the bay platform and a goods area.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskPkvEYv

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 1

Ikea packaging makes brilliant "placeholder" structures to allow a feel for things.

The intermediate tail lamp displayed by the 31 would've been reason to stop this train when I was a signalman. I must do something about those one day

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A "Kerfufuffle" at Ceilinscombe Down

A pleasant Sunday afternoon in the loft. A small mixed freight was in the goods loop and the next passenger train through Ceilinscombe Down was a non-stopper. The signalman on duty realised too late that the single slip wasn't set for the main line – worse it was in exactly the same position as it had been for the freight. This was due to him having both hands occupied at the time, controller in one hand - pint of Spitfire in the other.

The resulting melee created very little in the way of noise per se and the speed of the passenger train was slightly reduced by the emergency stop button (too late) but the express nevertheless slammed into the rear of the freight train causing three vehicles to concertina up into the air and fall off the track.

Luckily the class 31 loco brushed off the impact like someone brushing off dandruff from a dufflecoat and all passenger coaches remained on the track. The actual passengers waiting at Ceilinscombe Down saw it all of course – they had dutifully stood back from the platform edge expecting a bit of a draught from the non-stopper only to see it veer off behind them straight onto the goods line.

Bob and Phil on the 03 at the head of the freight were safely inside the shunter's cabin having a can of tea but Mrs Lewis was vexed as the empty upturned mineral wagons had shed a bit of coal dust and this had formed a dark little cloud, threatening her washing line.

Initially it was thought that Ted the guard had been thrown out of his guards van (the last vehicle in the freight train – and the first to receive the impact) but he was found alive and well having alighted moments before to relieve the three mugs of tea imbibed previously.

The four oil tanks in front of the mineral wagons remained steadfast and the passenger train was propelled back the way it came. Then the single slip was set correctly and it was able to form the 16:35 to Therseno End.

When the press arrived, a passenger waiting at the station was interviewed. “It was terrible!” said the bowler-hatted gentleman, “There was a cloud of dust and a massive explosion – I'm going to see my solicitor about some compensation for distress”

All affected vehicles were recovered by the “Hand of God” and normal service was resumed after a delay of approximately three minutes. Delay Attribution, York are looking into where this can be buried.

The signalman on duty was of course D&A tested by the “for cause” screening process and the nurse from occi-health remarked on how clever he was to not spill a drop of Spitfire throughout the kerfuffle and continued to hold his pint glass whilst blowing into the breathalyser.

The investigation found that beer had caused a minor interference but that most of the blame could be attributed to their being a total lack of interlocking – or indeed SIGNALS anywhere.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

UPDATE.

Due to circumstances unforseen - mainly that the loft is uninhabitable for ten months of the year due to temperature extremes I've made zero progress over the last two years. Layout is now dismantled awaiting sale, I've made the decision to swap scales and go "N".

I have plans to build a small layout downstairs instead. I've been particularly inspired by "Shirebrook" having done a lot of spotting there in the early eighties. A brilliant layout, I particularly liked the admission that it "N" was a "challenging scale- requiring a different approach than simply scaling down 00".

https://www.flickr.c...s/135257675@N08