Metcalfe Yard

sb67

• 5 weeks later...

Really struggling to get on with the scenery. I cant decide weather to have a road bridge at the left hand end or use some buildings as view blockers to hide the fiddle yard entrance, it's really frustrating as this is the point that most of my layouts fail and I'm determined to see this through! 

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

post-24-0-49092000-1504250598_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-78505700-1504250609_thumb.jpg

Made a start on a bridge. Not sure if it's the best way of doing it but I've made the shell then will cover it with card covered with brick paper. I also started some ground work using DAS clay, think I could have done it a bit better but when it's painted and weathered I think it will look ok.

Steve.

• Like 2

post-24-0-66484700-1504699387.jpg

Took the layout outside and sprayed the groundwork using some primers, Red Oxide, Grey and Black. It looked ok outside but now it's back indoors I think it looks too dark but that was only a base coat. I'll use household emulsions and washes and hopefully it'll look better.

Steve.

• Like 4

Started painting the groundwork with some household emulsion paints, I think I need to get some more colours, maybe more browns and a different grey. I think I should find a photo to try and copy as I'm just making it up. I'd like to know what people think.

Steve.

post-24-0-02265000-1504852088_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-40107000-1504852101_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-29997500-1504852116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I think your puddles look excellent.  Just a suggestion, what about one coloured green or red or whatever by the barrel end, to represent chemical spillage?  First class work overall, great going.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made a start on a bridge at the other end of the layout. I was really pleased with it but having taken a picture the concrete lintels look a bit iffy, not sure how I'm going to flatten them out a bit.

Steve.

post-24-0-91323500-1510605482_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Steve

I like your pragmatic "try it out" approach, hopefully it will help to clarify things. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Harry2013. Think I've hit upon an idea I like. I'll post some pics as soon as it's done.

Steve.

• Like 1

So far I think this is very good. However, just a personal point of view - the windows on the Metcalfe warehouse look too white - they need toning down, specially when compared to the MRS building adjacent and the brewery building.

Stu

Afarid it is especially as It is all stuck to the backscene now. I wondered if I could put a light wash over the window without blocking the glazing too much. I'll bear that in mind for the next build. I could always say the factory owners have had the windows repainted ;-)

Steve.