Metcalfe Yard

sb67

Have you not heard the saying that a model railway was never finished? :)

Stu

I've heard that Stu but I'll try and be restrained, unless I can find a bit of space and can extend it a bit, now there's a thought ;-) 

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Steve

Just finished reading the whole topic .

Very inspirational and I love the little touches which make the layout come alive. On my own layout Milton Quay I’m learning less is more and you are getting it just right.

It’s also great to see a layout completed .

All the best

Lash

• Agree 1

Thanks Lash, I've learnt from stuff on here that a lot of the time less is more. There's probably some small details I could add but I'd now like to have a go at painting and weathering some stock for the layout.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What a super layout Steve. Right up my street and a fine example of ‘urban grot’.

I do like your embankment. Well modelled.

Rob

Guest ShildonShunter

Fantastic layout Steve your attention to details is great love all the weathering and ground cover. The hut and figures are spot Steve just brilliant.:)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, all I've done was inspired by stuff on here and a book, Modelling Grasslands and Landscape Detailing by Gorden Gravett, great book well worth checking out. Also there's a great video on youtube about Vallejo pigments which is fantastic, there's a lot to be learnt from Military Modelling dioramas!

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Just read through your entire thread and agree with everyone else that your layout oozes atmosphere. I especially like your mixture of Metcalfe, Scale Model Scenery and Scalescenes buildings as it shows it can be done effectively if carefully blended.

Looking forward to seeing some stock on here at some point.

Steve S

[Edited for stupid autocorrect alterations!]

Edited by SteveyDee68

Thanks for your comments Steve. Most of my stock isn't weathered yet so I havent taken many pics, I wanted to use my metcalfe buildings and I like the way they turned out and the scalescenes stuff is really good to work with. When I built the layout there wasn't much thought on "playing trains" and if I'm honest it,s not that great to operate. It would benefit from a sector plate or traverser as lifting stuff across the tracks isn't ideal. I've also started another layout with a bit more operating potential but I really should think about getting some stock together to run.

Steve.

• Like 1

Great stuff Steve, its been an inspiration to me as i've plodded on with my own, i'm hoping to get some 7mm industrial buildings done just like yours as a backdrop for mine as well, i have'nt got to the sector plate or the traverser stage yet so i'll be watching what you'll do next for inspiration. :)

Great stuff Steve, its been an inspiration to me as i've plodded on with my own, i'm hoping to get some 7mm industrial buildings done just like yours as a backdrop for mine as well, i have'nt got to the sector plate or the traverser stage yet so i'll be watching what you'll do next for inspiration. :)

Thanks Bob, I built a sector plate on my latest layout and it has made it much better to opereate.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

12 hours ago, Big And said:

Great weathering for the track, ballast, buildings.  the dark sky is good to see as not many of us choose that.  

11 hours ago, OOman said:

Hi Steve you have produced a brilliant layout. The atmospheric look and feel is just right and the modelling throughout is superbly done. Thanks for sharing.:good_mini:

Thanks for your comments guys, most of my ideas have been due to people sharing stuff on here so I'm glad I can do the same.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Steve, I hope it's OK, but I've referenced your layout in a post on my own build thread in this Forum this evening.  I'm including a Metcalfe Brewery Kit in a Test module I'm making, and yours is the best example I've seen as to how effectively the kit can be weathered.  I've never tried weathering, and won't expect to achieve much (my build is a test piece after all), but I wanted to point towards an example that I've been very impressed with, that shows what can be done.  Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1