Boxer Bay Railway - 16' x 9' Roundy

boxerbayrailway

Felix,

I am delighted to see this new forum. I recently encountered Boxer Bay on Youtube where you posted a video showing one of our Minerva Kerr Stuart Victory 0-6-0Ts at work. I think you have created a great continuous run in a space more usually associated with 4mm scale.  I shall be following progress with great interest.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I know I'm stretching the limits of what's doable in 14 x 9 for 7mm,  continuous running was a large priority,  both for
enjoyment and running in equipment.  The 4' radius curves haven't tripped anything up yet,  including a kit built  LSWR 02   0-4-4T  which I was
a little nervous about !    The track plan has been inspired by many of Iain Rice's great plans from his super book "Light Railway Layout Designs"
The video you mention must be this one -  hoping to do an updated one showing progress and the lovely Minerva Peckett soon.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
Busy Busy times, leaves little time for the railway,  but one important decision was made.

Prototype authentic link couplings,  or a choice of auto couplers.  There looks to be hundreds of choices,  but after some thought I picked the Bachmann OO tension lock type.  

I was tempted to stick it out with the 3 link chains,  but I know my eyesight will only get worse,  and there will be a couple spots on my railway which will be hard to reach.  With the convenience of auto coupling,  and with a tool,  easy uncoupling,  the decision was easy.  I don't think they look too bad,  and when the wagons are coupled,  I can barely notice them.  Buffer locking is no longer an issue !  I tested them on 3 wagons and they worked great on curves down to 42" radius.  Kadee knuckle couplers were tempting,  but they're just too noticeable and looked odd on English equipment,  at least to me.  Installation is easy with little work,  and I can leave the original hooks,  which allows the wagons to be coupled to another wagon which is not yet equipped with TLs,  another bonus !   Plus they're cheap -  the Colonel will appreciate that  :good:  

DSCF9187.JPG

DSCF9186.JPGDSCF9185.JPG

• Like 11

Evening All,

And Now for something completely different ! This model was built from a very nice laser cut wood kit by B.T.S. (Better Than Scratch),

a firm that is somewhat local to me in the US.

It's a USMRR flatcar, built in 1860's. Kit #19517. My Dad built and weathered this model, added buffers and used Wiseman white metal archbar trucks.

It fits in surprisingly well with the 7mm equipment, so will be used on the BBR from time to time for special duties.

Seen here delivering Bertie Wooster's Aston Martin clear.png 

DSCF9194.JPG

DSCF9192.JPG

• Like 9

Evening All,

And Now for something completely different ! This model was built from a very nice laser cut wood kit by B.T.S. (Better Than Scratch),

a firm that is somewhat local to me in the US.

It's a USMRR flatcar, built in 1860's. Kit #19517. My Dad built and weathered this model, added buffers and used Wiseman white metal archbar trucks.

It fits in surprisingly well with the 7mm equipment, so will be used on the BBR from time to time for special duties.

Seen here delivering Bertie Wooster's Aston Martin clear.png 

DSCF9194.JPG

DSCF9192.JPG

“What ho!" I said (Bertie Wooster).

"What ho!" said Motty.

"What ho! What ho!"

"What ho! What ho! What ho!"

After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.”

― P.G. Wodehouse, My Man Jeeves

• Like 2

“What ho!" I said (Bertie Wooster).

"What ho!" said Motty.

"What ho! What ho!"

"What ho! What ho! What ho!"

After that it seemed rather difficult to go on with the conversation.”

― P.G. Wodehouse, My Man Jeeves

Indeed sir !    Read that one many times,  also enjoyed Fry & Laurie's portrayal very much.  Although I would have liked to seen the original 

series with Ian Carmichael & Dennis Price,  but I guess the BBC tossed them all into the rubbish bin, except for 1 that is up on youtube to enjoy.

It'll be the same case of taping over it, it happened with a lot of programs from the 60's. the BBC were short of film and didnt want to spend money on new film so they just went over existing film, this is also why alot of early doctor who is missing because it was taped over with something else

Thanks,  can't wait to start the scenery and buildings,  but still a little work to do before that,  turnout control,  ballasting and track painting / weathering up next.

The Col. was able to acquire a "new" piece of equipment for the B.B.R.,  an Ex Midland Railway 1F 1377 class 0-6-0T.  Our locomotive Superintendent had a quick look over and gave the thumbs up,  despite some history of the loco wanting to only run bunker first !  Here She is being lined up for the official photograph,  awaiting re-lettering, and some minor mechanical work to fix a worm gear that is noisy in one direction only.

1f%2B0-6-0.png

• Like 8

Busy Busy times, leaves little time for the railway,  but one important decision was made.

Prototype authentic link couplings,  or a choice of auto couplers.  There looks to be hundreds of choices,  but after some thought I picked the Bachmann OO tension lock type.  
I was tempted to stick it out with the 3 link chains,  but I know my eyesight will only get worse,  and there will be a couple spots on my railway which will be hard to reach.  With the convenience of auto coupling,  and with a tool,  easy uncoupling,  the decision was easy.  I don't think they look too bad,  and when the wagons are coupled,  I can barely notice them.  Buffer locking is no longer an issue !  I tested them on 3 wagons and they worked great on curves down to 42" radius.  Kadee knuckle couplers were tempting,  but they're just too noticeable and looked odd on English equipment,  at least to me.  Installation is easy with little work,  and I can leave the original hooks,  which allows the wagons to be coupled to another wagon which is not yet equipped with TLs,  another bonus !   Plus they're cheap -  the Colonel will appreciate that  :good:  
DSCF9187.JPG

DSCF9186.JPGDSCF9185.JPG

can I ask what size screws you used and where you got them from ?

can I ask what size screws you used and where you got them from ?

Actually I had these screws left over in a parts box,  but I believe they're size 0-80,  I'm not 100% certain.

I'll have to order some more to complete all my rolling stock,  once I find out the correct size I'll post it here.

The advantage to mounting them this way is you can remove them quickly and easily incase one should ever need replacing.

We ended up mounting ours a bit lower to avoid the hooks hitting the bottom of the corridor connections on coaches. Obviously on a light railway without corridor stock that won't be a problem.

Had a little spare time to run some trains yesterday,  excuse the poor camerawork but it was difficult operating and filming at the same time.

Now after testing that everything has been wired up correctly and there are no problems (yet)  I can move on to the super "enjoyable" task of painting / ballasting !

Also need to paint up a proper crew for the loco.  So much to do,  so little time.

• Like 7

Great layout design Felix, I will follow your exploits with interest!, just out of curiosity, where did you get your resin boats?

Cheer's, Pete. 

Thanks Pete,   well the "River Barge"  is actually a Verlinden 1/35 scale resin model,  a very high quality casting that I thought might pass for 1/43. 

The tug boat is a 1/48 resin kit from "Frenchman River",  it's a small 24' steam tug built at the turn of the century,  I can highly recommend this kit,  very

high quality castings with little cleanup,  all parts fit perfectly and have great detail.  You can find them on ebay for about $50 USD.

It seems we are limited in maritime models for 7mm,  so it's either make do with what's around and convert it,   or scratch build !  I'll need to scratch build my

main coastal freighter ship,  but that is probably a few years away.

As for the couplings Northroader,  I would definitely think about it.  While filming this little test of the layout,  I had 3 wagons equipped with the OO  TLs,  and the rest with the 3 links,  and

it was a real pain dealing with the chains,  even with a little hand tool I made up.   The TLs worked perfectly,  and that part of the operating was very enjoyable.  I know the TLs aren't

as pleasing to look at when viewing close up photos of equipment,  but I can overlook it as my main interest is smooth and enjoyable operation of the railway.

• Like 2

Had a little spare time to run some trains yesterday,  excuse the poor camerawork but it was difficult operating and filming at the same time.

Now after testing that everything has been wired up correctly and there are no problems (yet)  I can move on to the super "enjoyable" task of painting / ballasting !

Also need to paint up a proper crew for the loco.  So much to do,  so little time.

Great stuff.  And a fine selection of pre-Grouping and PO wagons.

I was looking for any excuse to delay painting the rails and ballasting the track, and I found it !  A very inexpensive and fun side project,  a weight bridge from Lcut.  Kit # B 70-14,  cost is only £10,  or $12 USD.  The kit is laser cut and is very high quality,  everything fit together perfectly and the whole thing was built, painted and weathered in about 2 hours.  I chose to prime it with Humbrol acrylic,  then brush paint it with Tamiya acrylics and used chalk powders for weathering.

The model takes up about 114 x 132mm,  including the base.  Photos show a little gap between building and base,  that will disappear when building is glued to the base,  and I do need to finish it with window glazing.  I hope to improve my painting skills in this area but I think it turned out pretty good.  Now sadly onto the ballasting   :(

DSCF9187.JPG

DSCF9188.JPG

Please note Renault (Heller kit) will not be featured on the 1920s era railway,  just shown for fun  :sarcastichand:

DSCF9189.JPG

• Like 5

a nice looking kit and very good looking paint work, but i would have spent a bit more time on those corners getting them to fit right

I agree,  but I'm not too sure what can be done about the corners,  it's the way the kit is designed.  My plan is to disguise them once

it's installed on the layout with a down spout,  or a strategically placed figure.

• 2 months later...

It's been a little while since the last update on the BBR. Nice weather, busy with work, garden etc... have left limited time for the railway. However I've managed to get a couple things done lately, including painting the rails / track. This was done with a spray can, I know I took the easy way out ! But I will go back and brush paint in some effects in certain areas like the loco shed to add a bit of variety in rail colours, and I'll weather the sleepers in due course. What a difference it makes once you paint the rails, night and day !

I've also managed to install my first buffer stop, built and modified from the Peco rail type, I used a wood beam instead of the supplied rail one, and installed a lantern taken from the original. 

The next step will be continuing with weathering the track, and then comes the Super Joyful task of ballasting. The Colonel is busy recruiting inmates at the local prison, and looking for volunteers to get this stage of development moving forward clear.png :sarcastichand:

DSCF9200.JPG

DSCF9203.JPG

DSCF9206.JPG

• Like 7

Fealix,

I enjoy your updates and I can see that you are as excited about ballasting track as I am.

A further simple enhancement to the Peco buffer-stop is to install a bracing rod from suitable wire behind the bufferbeam. I have attached some photos for illustration.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-73273900-1497953405_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-28426600-1497953542_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40904500-1497953547_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Chris for the tip,   I'll add a bracing rod today,  and a bit more weathering I think.   Your stop looks great.    Then onto the ballasting !

I actually don't mind it too much,  I think the trick is try to not do too much at a time,  little by little.  Of course I've only ballasted a layout in TT scale before, 

so in 7mm  I anticipate a whole new set of challenges to get it to look right.

Edited by boxerbayrailway