3D printed road vehicles

grahame

• RMweb Premium

Not much progress on anything Grahame, been busy with the first of the books. I’ve done a little more to the TWA building but the Interfrigo van hasn’t been touched. Most stuff has been packed away, maybe a bit prematurely, as we are expecting the builders to descend on the house shortly.

I’ll probably take the Interfrigo van to the next NGS meeting and do some work on it and get some photos taken then.

I’ll probably take the Interfrigo van to the next NGS meeting and do some work on it and get some photos taken then.

If you take it along to the NGS AGM expo I'll take some snaps for the Journal. Perhaps you could write up an article.

G.

They're currently also working on other 3D printed N/2mm road vehicles including a Commer Walk Thru van, an ancient taxi and others possibly including  Ford Cargo truck and some 70/80s cars.

I've suggested the following potential changes/upgrades:

• add a rubbing strake to each lower body side (just above wheel mud guard)
  • add rain gutter at top of sides
  • add rectangular indicator box lights just ahead of the lower body side oval windows
  • The curved roof section looks like it ought be a little taller.
  • The back end of the sides should be more vertical up to the rain-strip (where the roof begins to curve) – in the photo they have sent me looks a little deformed
  • I’d consider making the door windows one rectangular cut out rather than two separate ones (which look a little oval/lozenged shaped as a result). The dividing window bar can be added after glazing by painting on or a thin strip of self adhesive label.
  • The bottom body-side section behind the rear wheel looks too sharply angled upwards

G.

I'd agree with that, Grahame, though the extended rear mudguards are only applicable to the higher rated vans with the doubled wheels on the back, the singled ones just had plain cut-outs (note this has the flat-fronted as it has a petrol rather than diesel engine). I would advise them to look at the higher roof version too as these were the more common type used for parcels vans.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

DOH! Of course the brushes are on the wrong side, didn’t spot that.

Here's an 'N' model of a gutter cleaning vehicle with the brushes on the correct side for the UK: https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/DM-4103.html

Snag is that it's 1:160 and I'm not sure what the make/model of truck is.

G.

DOH! Of course the brushes are on the wrong side, didn’t spot that.

Here's an 'N' model of a gutter cleaning vehicle with the brushes on the correct side for the UK: https://www.en.dm-toys.de/produktdetails/items/DM-4103.html

Snag is that it's 1:160 and I'm not sure what the make/model of truck is.

G.

I've been thinking about ordering one of the RailNscale gutter cleaning trucks in 1:148 scale and having a bash at converting it for UK use with the brushes on the left side. But I've not found any evidence that the Merc LP 808 'cubic cabin' trucks were ever used on British roads. Does anyone know otherwise?

G

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see that RailNscale have introduced a Opel Kadett C.....in the UK with a different nose it was of course the Vauxhall Chevette. Only available in 1/160 so far.

Hopefully they will anglicise the Kadett like they did with the Ascona into the Cavalier.

I see that RailNscale have introduced a Opel Kadett C.....in the UK with a different nose it was of course the Vauxhall Chevette. Only available in 1/160 so far.

Hopefully they will anglicise the Kadett like they did with the Ascona into the Cavalier.

Interesting, and yes, hopefully they will Anglicise it. They do mention on their website that if you ask they will increase the scale (to 1:148) but, of course, it will also need a little design tweaking. Fingers crossed.

As an aside, does anyone have an answer to my question in post #132?

G

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, and yes, hopefully they will Anglicise it. They do mention on their website that if you ask they will increase the scale (to 1:148) but, of course, it will also need a little design tweaking. Fingers crossed.

As an aside, does anyone have an answer to my question in post #132?

G

I can find pictures of LP808 panel vans but no cab chassis, there’s a brochure on eBay but it’s for the UK spec vans.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-L406D-L408-L608D-LP808-Van-Pick-Up-Brochure-UK-Sales-Market-1971-/371782280512

• RMweb Premium

The list shows a post office high top van ,the pcure shos more common standard height van .

Sorry didn’t look at the photo, they are going to do a Commer Walkthru...might be that.

On checking the photo it isn’t the Walkthru does look like a standard height LD, the yellow van?

Edited by acg5324

Osborns have now released an N gauge 3D printed front bucket loader. It comes unpainted (although the sample is shown painted) and it looks a little generic (I don't know the actual model it is supposed to represent) but it looks nice enough and no doubt could be adapted if necessary:

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-a3d017--4-wheeled-front-bucket-loader-unpainted-45378-p.asp

The cattle truck also appears a little generic and to me looks more like a horse box. So has anyone got any pics of the actual front loader and cattle truck for comparison? And I wonder what's happened to the Commer Walk-thru van.

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I emailed RailNscale regarding the Kadett and this is the reply

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your mail and your kind words. Yes, I am considering to make some conversions of the Opel Kadett into the Vauxhall Chevette. I was thinking of the original version with the recessed headlamps in the 3-door hatchback and 2-door saloon, as I assume these where the more popular versions.

Apparently you would also favour the Opel Kadett in 1/148th. I didn't know those models were sold in the UK. But I can make them of course. Which of the current types and sets we offer now, would you like?

In all cases I will make the 1/148th versions in RHD-version.

Best regards,

Maurice

So what versions would we like...three door hatch, I’d have thought four door saloon and the estate which could be turned into a Chevanne!

I’m sure I remember the Chevette shaped Kadett in the UK can anyone confirm that? Did Eire get the Opel or the Vauxhall versions?

Osborns have now released an N gauge 3D printed front bucket loader. It comes unpainted (although the sample is shown painted) and it looks a little generic (I don't know the actual model it is supposed to represent) but it looks nice enough and no doubt could be adapted if necessary:

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-a3d017--4-wheeled-front-bucket-loader-unpainted-45378-p.asp

The cattle truck also appears a little generic and to me looks more like a horse box. So has anyone got any pics of the actual front loader and cattle truck for comparison? And I wonder what's happened to the Commer Walk-thru van.

G.

Cattle truck prototype is here:-

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2857/10871668513_49007dbd21.jpg

Front loader is similar to this one:-

http://www.rbunton.co.uk/plant-hire-item/volvo-l180c-loading-shovel/

Were used for loading MGR wagons from stockpile at Immingham Docks in 1990s.

Cattle truck prototype is here:-

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2857/10871668513_49007dbd21.jpg

Front loader is similar to this one:-

http://www.rbunton.co.uk/plant-hire-item/volvo-l180c-loading-shovel/

Were used for loading MGR wagons from stockpile at Immingham Docks in 1990s.

Hmm, not so sure about the cattle truck. The cab is okay but the body looks a little too short and the roof is wrong with a curve at the front, the boarding looks like it has gaps while the real thing doesn't appear to, and the vents and shutters are missing. But with body builders effectively making them bespoke perhaps there is one just like the model.

The Volvo looks a bit too angular and possibly too modern for the model if it's supposed to be from the 1990s (although I've seen front shovel loaders at preserved lines used to load steam loco tenders these days). The model doesn't have a rear transverse body beam (with lights, protection and so on) that many (and the Volvo) now have. I wonder what was used as the inspiration.

They do seem at little generic but capture the basic elements and certainly have more than just a passing nod to real ones.

G.

Edited by grahame

I think Michael Pearce who designed the cattle truck has confirmed it is an amalgam of various types including the one in the photo I linked.

On the front loader, there are many options available, and to produce one bespoke version would make it less suitable for other versions. Most people would see it for what it is .... a big ugly front loader. I think it captures that very well. The modeller can always adapt it to their specific desires if they are important.