Realistic off-board sound

28XX

https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/en/pixy-cmucam5.html?utm_source=Newsletter+List&utm_campaign=4e26dd5a7f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_02_15&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6b382bce70-4e26dd5a7f-408641701&mc_cid=4e26dd5a7f&mc_eid=2d0f2f6670

Elsewhere in this section I suggested that an object recognition system coupled to a micro controller in turn connected to multiple speakers positioned around a layout would be a far better way to implement sound than DCC plus on-board speakers. I thought the OR part of such a system would not be available for a while. I wonder if the time has come.

It could identify the location, type of locomotive, whether goods or passenger and its speed. From that information, sound files for let's say, GWR 2 cylinder 4-6-0 plus bogie coaches can be selected, the exhaust frequency and wheel rhythm matched to the wheel rotation speed (from knowing it's linear speed) and output to the speakers, panning the perceived origin of the sound to match the physical position of the train.

If the operator lowers the speed below a certain threshold when the train is at a given position, a station stop is detected, the exhaust sound cross faded to just valve gear clank and vacuum pump phutt, plus brake grind as it comes to a stand. All without operator input.

Archived