Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

I’m afraid that this, again, is pure bad management; a whole year to work with, and you end up with a direct conflict over a key resource?

You want to try getting safety fencing or a portable loo when Glastonbury is on. Some of the hire firms in this area (and much further North) move stock to there as it uses so much resource and is a good earner for them.

Love could have offered the Earth but it wouldn't have made a difference.

• RMweb Premium

You want to try getting safety fencing or a portable loo when Glastonbury is on. Some of the hire firms in this area (and much further North) move stock to there as it uses so much resource and is a good earner for them.

On a similar note - Glastonbury didn't happen in 2012 is because of lack of resources. And that was two years in advance.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/glastonbury/8069257/Glastonbury-2012-cancelled-due-to-lack-of-portaloos-and-police.html

A friend of mine works in the portable generator business and Glasto is a huge chunk of his regular business. Sometime in 2009, all his generators were already booked for the Olympics.

Cheers,

Mick

A junior Fred Dibnah.

I can see him getting his own program in the future. 

And a Lancashire Lad at that. (If you can count Wigan as Lancs and not Greater Manc.........)

Cheers,

Mick

Totally agree and to boot, he sounded like Guy Martin at times....

As others have said cutting both sides of the viaduct with that interlocking pattern so that two sides came out of one sheet was genius.

If you had asked me I would have said that the teaser at the end of the first programme showed the loco disappearing into the depths of the lock, whereas this episode showed it tied onto the ferry.

It was a real 'Bobby Ewing' moment, but I guess my imagination had changed the trailer outcome....

• Like 2

The possibility of a second series was discussed early on. The track was made from recyclable material as part of the early specification for both cost and environmental reasons.

The James May track was recycled on eBay, As so much of it was just left in place. 

Totally agree and to boot, he sounded like Guy Martin at times....

As others have said cutting both sides of the viaduct with that interlocking pattern so that two sides came out of one sheet was genius.

If you had asked me I would have said that the teaser at the end of the first programme showed the loco disappearing into the depths of the lock, whereas this episode showed it tied onto the ferry.

It was a real 'Bobby Ewing' moment, but I guess my imagination had changed the trailer outcome....

I must go back and check the end of Ep 1 trailer because I thought it was the same footage. If not that is a good spot.

It's the same way RSJs with the hexagonal shaped holes in the middle are made.

I caught up with the second programme yesterday, and had an epiphany- they're train people, I'm a train person, what's not to like...?

Edited by 298
  • Like 6

It's the same way RSJs with the hexagonal shaped holes in the middle are made. It did seem to be an arched viaduct for the sake of it. Certainly impressive and pretty, but how long did it take to make compared to concrete blocks with CLS timber spans, etc....?

I caught up with the second programme yesterday, and had an epiphany- they're train people, I'm a train person, what's not to like...?

Well, indeed. It’s a big task and a dramatic setting, why resort to that sort of contrivance? “Obtain a vessel of opportunity” at the ferry section, for example, could have been quite entertaining. I’d have liked to have seen more of the work that went well.

I’m afraid the quad Bikes tipped the scale, for me, but in the other direction. It’s clear that something occurred which had the potential to be no fun at all.

Edited by rockershovel

I must go back and check the end of Ep 1 trailer because I thought it was the same footage. If not that is a good spot.

I saw the same bit of film at the end of the first one, with the loco going in the drink.

The James May track was recycled on eBay, As so much of it was just left in place. 

Not sure how much found its way onto Ebay. The bulk of it was collected by Hornby and then sold on as used to retailers. We bought miles of the long straights. Sold at cost plus 40p per length and the 40p went to charity. Proved extremely popular, had a photo in the shop with James May, Oz Clarke with the track. The British Heart Foundation were the recipients. The loco's in our Hornby cabinet all rest on the actual track used.

• Like 14

The discussion about the track from James May's two programmes made me think: could they have bought new quad bikes, and sold them on afterwards?  Or does Glasto empty the showrooms as well as the rental warehouses?  (I recollect seeing a fair few emporia full of new quad bikes from my peregrinations around the Highlands - where "a fair few" is a relative term, taking into account the overall sparseness of retail provision in that part of the world.)

• Like 1

Not sure how much found its way onto Ebay. The bulk of it was collected by Hornby and then sold on as used to retailers. We bought miles of the long straights. Sold at cost plus 40p per length and the 40p went to charity. Proved extremely popular, had a photo in the shop with James May, Oz Clarke with the track. The British Heart Foundation were the recipients. The loco's in our Hornby cabinet all rest on the actual track used.

It was nearly all one-yard lengths, with some points at Fremington quay. SK was very keen for it to be laid straight and neat, so it was, on a cool damp morning. There followed a hot dry afternoon, when it all expanded into a series of long S bends. We were told to extract lengths and join it all back up nice and straight. The train ran late, the weather cooled in the evening, the track shrunk again, leaving gaps everywhere. We then had to try to rejoin sections ahead of the approaching train, in the pitch dark, by the light of one young lad's mobile phone! By which time, of course, most of the car batteries supplying the power had been nicked! The path remained open to the public throughout, so dogs, feet, and cycle wheels also affected the integrity of the track laying. Each team was given a brand new yard broom to sweep the path before we started. I still have mine. 

The Scottish exercise objective was not the same. JM's exercise had to use Hornby and his old Flying Scotsman, in order to fit the series theme. The Scottish exercise seems to have been better planned with more suitable equipment and a seven times longer route, and no series formula to restrict it. If only they had packed the track sections where necessary with sand or soil, they could have prevented those sags which twisted every time the loco went over them, and derailed it. Surely that was the kind of basic engineering that was needed, rather than the sledgehammer to crack walnut exercises like the ferry and the viaduct? Overall, I'd say it's nice to see model railways on TV but I'm glad I didn't get involved this time. I could cope with the privations of weather and organised chaos back then but I'm too old for it now! (CJL)

• Like 3

The discussion about the track from James May's two programmes made me think: could they have bought new quad bikes, and sold them on afterwards?  Or does Glasto empty the showrooms as well as the rental warehouses?  (I recollect seeing a fair few emporia full of new quad bikes from my peregrinations around the Highlands - where "a fair few" is a relative term, taking into account the overall sparseness of retail provision in that part of the world.)

I’ve seen this before, it’s not as though the “festival season” is anything new. Last pipeline I worked on, we redefined most of the quad bike roles as compact tractors, which were easily sourced; bought three secondhand quads over winter, and sold them at the end of the job. We also didn’t allow inexperienced drivers to use them, because quads are handy things but they DO have their own little ways..

.....If only they had packed the track sections where necessary with sand or soil, they could have prevented those sags which twisted every time the loco went over them, and derailed it. Surely that was the kind of basic engineering that was needed, rather than the sledgehammer to crack walnut exercises like the ferry and the viaduct? Overall, I'd say it's nice to see model railways on TV but I'm glad I didn't get involved this time. I could cope with the privations of weather and organised chaos back then but I'm too old for it now! (CJL)

Absolutely, there was a lot of ranting about “Engineering” but a lot of basics overlooked.

Joking apart, I’ve seen tasks like this set for groups of cadets and students. I did one once, involving getting a Land Rover across a stream. There’s a live-steam group who set up a miniature “Leek and Manifold” set-piece in various locations.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And your solution would have been?

Not really a fair reply (although I'm generally with you on this subject). I hear this too often - "what would you do about it?" when someone raises a problem. It's just a way of dismissing an issue rather than facing it (or even arguing that it isn't one). Anyway, sorry about that, one of (a huge number of) pet hate subjects there!

Anyway on this subject from what's been said I'm happy to believe that they did what they could on the quad bike front.

I saw the same bit of film at the end of the first one, with the loco going in the drink.

It OK guys, just rewound Ep 1 which I had deleted.  I had missed the wires holding it onto the ferry.  It certainly was shown as capsizing and then rolling over beneath the water.  Without being wired on it would have been a gonna.  Still makes me wonder though.... :biggrin_mini2:

post-6950-0-32329600-1516185539_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That's nothing - try booking Beyonce to open your new club premises during Glastonbury week.

• Administrators

Not really a fair reply (although I'm generally with you on this subject). I hear this too often - "what would you do about it?" when someone raises a problem. It's just a way of dismissing an issue rather than facing it (or even arguing that it isn't one). Anyway, sorry about that, one of (a huge number of) pet hate subjects there!

Anyway on this subject from what's been said I'm happy to believe that they did what they could on the quad bike front.

"What would you do" isn't unfair. It's very easy to point at someone who has done something that went wrong and laugh or suggest they should have done "something" different. Far harder to come up with a positive alternative. In this case, probably harder still to come up with one the production company hadn't tried already.

My guess as far as renting vs buying quad bikes goes is that bought bikes become an asset of the company and have to appear on accounts unless you write them off straight away (something they nearly did!) whereas hiring just gets added to the production costs.  If you don't want to keep them, then they also have to be disposed of, and these guys make telly, they aren't second-hand car dealers. I'm sure someone with an accounting background will be able to clarify this though.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm surprised they didn't fit a sound chip and speaker to the little loco, so it at least sounded like a proper steam locomotive...

Surely is IS a proper steam locomtive. It's powered by water and heat after all, how much more steam-loco like do you want? (Yes, coal firing is possible but only if you like crawling along 71 miles with a small shovel). :onthequiet:

If you want to change the sound, you need a Chuff pipe - look out for more details in April's issue of Garden Rail.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"What would you do" isn't unfair. It's very easy to point at someone who has done something that went wrong and laugh or suggest they should have done "something" different. Far harder to come up with a positive alternative. In this case, probably harder still to come up with one the production company hadn't tried already.

Maybe, but the first step is to realise there is an issue. "What would you do?" almost always comes across as dismissing a problem. If there wasn't anything else that could be reasonably done, such as it seems like in this case, then it's fine to say so, but "what would you do?" is just a politer-sounding version of "shut up" really.

• Like 1