Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

*The estimate I heard was that the American government ended up paying for the transcontinental RR about three times over. Once in very valuable land grants that were soon worth a fortune when the railroad was built, then in the actual building of the line at highly inflated prices (the Credit Mobilier of America scanadal) and finally in rebuilding it to a usable standard.

From memory, they "paid" with grants of land along the path of the railroad but keeping half the blocks of land...which were worth a lot more money to the government once they had a railroad running through them...

And they didn't even have to buy a bit of Mexico to build the first one on.

• Like 1

Well, having returned home, I have just watched the series. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done to all concerned, especially the members of this parish who were involved.

Well, having returned home, I have just watched the series. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done to all concerned, especially the members of this parish who were involved.

• Like 3

You must have enjoyed it if you watched it twice.

Hiccups?

:jester:

Meh! My comment was posted from my phone, which appears to have been too smart for its own good...

Worse things happen at sea though...

My Nan used that saying when I was little

it was supposed to make me feel better but as a little lad I only cared about my own problem

• RMweb Gold

This is what comes of watching a repeat.

• Like 1

Worse things happen at sea though...

A casual remark I once rather thoughtlessly made to my (then) 7yr-old daughter just prior to embarking on a rather rough North Sea night ferry crossing... She spent the entire crossing in sheer terror. A potential "Father of the Year" nomination passes me by yet again...

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

A casual remark I once rather thoughtlessly made to my (then) 7yr-old daughter just prior to embarking on a rather rough North Sea night ferry crossing... She spent the entire crossing in sheer terror. A potential "Father of the Year" nomination passes me by yet again...

What do sailors say, though?

Worse things happen in the Sargasso?

• 1 month later...