GWR Branch - Castle Down. Mostly GWR with an odd SR working

sjrixon

• RMweb Gold

Not much going on really.. Going to be a busy week, so the layout will take a back step :(

The cork is now down for the last 2 sidings, so I can try and get the track down soon!

I'm starting to think about the setup with dairy, but I've not found too much online yet. Does anyone know would they load the milk tankers?

Edited by sjrixon

If my memory serves me correct from watching a documentary, they would bring in the churns of milk from the surrounding farms and then pour it (presumably after pasteurisation) into the tankers. Still, I might be incorrect.

I'm starting to think about the setup with dairy, but I've not found too much online yet. Does anyone know would they load the milk tankers?

Information about rail-served dairies is a bit sparse online but this thread does a pretty good job of giving an overview including some nice photos. Have a read and let me know if you would like more info.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120441-branch-line-creameries/

• RMweb Gold

The last track finally went in yesterday! It felt like it took a long time to get this far, but done!

post-19113-0-72947700-1517038562_thumb.jpg

Not a great picture, but this is my control panel :)

post-19113-0-69824400-1517038561_thumb.jpg

Currently I've just sat it in the gap in the middle of the layout. Using the table and the mobile phone works really well with some light shunting. I love the fact with dcc the loco nicely accelerates and decelerates Just drop an uncoupler under the coupling and then one tap on the screen and the loco backs away :)

post-19113-0-59239300-1517038570_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Went out to the railway shed tonight to have nothing more than a little play. But I thought I'd check over my Oxford Rail Adams Radial to work out what chip I'll need for it. Put it on my DC test loop and it let out nothing more than a bad smell :( Guess that's going back then :( This hobby really likes to test you doesn't it.

The DCC socket space is also tiny in this loco. So when it does work I'll need to find some kind of direct plug in 8 pin chip. My Zimo 600R certainly isn't going in there!

I need a beer...

• RMweb Gold

Small running session. :)

Pannier draws in with a small goods. That fruit van will also need moving before the morning parcels arrives. 

post-19113-0-30865800-1517038822_thumb.jpg

With the goods train out of the way the parcels draws into the platform. 

post-19113-0-04816100-1517038823_thumb.jpg

The Prairie simmers in the morning sun while the station team load and unload the train. 

post-19113-0-53433800-1517038823_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I then bothered to get the big camera out.. 

The Prairie is ready to depart having added a fruit van to the rear of the parcels train.

post-19113-0-79208100-1517039097_thumb.jpg

A few hours later a Mogul appears with a B Set, the Pannier driver has gone off for some lunch and will build up the next goods working a little later in the day.. 

post-19113-0-48139300-1517039217_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So what would any sane person do once they are sure the track is running nicely, is nice and clean and their Pannier tank can creep over the whole layout without sticking.. 

That's it, paint it!

post-19113-0-89421700-1517039332_thumb.jpg

I've also added the cosmetic sleepers into the baseboard gaps. The spray has covered up nicely, all the wires are under the track, but now you can't see any of it.

I also think it helps to blend the code 75 points into the bullhead rail better.

post-19113-0-44054100-1517039333_thumb.jpg

This small section has started to have the sides done a different colour. That's going to take some more work..

post-19113-0-89939700-1517039333_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The paint was a spray of railmatch sleeper grime. Then I did the sides with the woodland scenics steel rail 'pen' paint. It wasn't as easy as they make it look on the bullhead, the shape of the rail means it's a little more difficult to get on the rail.. 

• RMweb Gold

Well, someone broke photobucket. So there are no pictures appearing.

I've had a busy day today, as I've had a cheaky day off. I've cleaned up the track surface with a woodland scenics track rubber, then given it a wipe with some cleaner. Then while on a roll, I've painted the baseboard!

I reckon this is the longest time I've gone without making a post on RMweb! I've been in the Netherlands the past week and unless you wanted to pay about 12 euros a day for the wifi to be in your cottage you had to walk up to where the restaurants and sports facilities were. I can rate posts on my iPhone but not actually make them, so watch out for that.

Scott, it looks like over the past week you've made a lot of progress. Hopefully progress will also be made on my project over the course of the next few days when I pop over to my local model shop to get some items, and then actually getting the 9mm plywood to get things going!

• RMweb Gold

More progress... I've completed a very small test area of ballast. It's a mix of Woodland Scenic, Fine Buff, Fine Grey and Medium Grey. I've then used Ballast Magic, which I have to say it pretty amazing, really saves you from the mess that normal PVA creates and also drys so much quicker. 

It still took quite a long time to complete this small section. To get it patted down into the gaps, making a nice edge and making sure I had that space I wanted between the ballast and the base of the rail. I found a fluffy brush the best, it ran that along to get the space from the top of the sleepers and the rail.

post-19113-0-60292800-1517039543_thumb.jpg

Liam, Thanks for the interest.. Now off you go to the shop :)

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The last shot showed a sneaky view of the platform.. It's starting to come together, the station building is sat on there to check I've got all the sizing right. 

post-19113-0-63925700-1517039592_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

There has been an explosion!! I've chopped up some more polystyrene to start work on the factory and rear loading area. It's great for making up shapes quickly and I've collected so many piles of it out of packing that I don't need to worry if I screw it up :)

post-19113-0-64391700-1517039648_thumb.jpg

I'm trying as fast as I can to get away from 'flat earth' as quickly and get some idea of shape into the layout. I've not 100% clearly defined all my plans yet, but I'm going with certain areas that make sense.. Maybe not the best way, but it's working. After a quick tidy up it's starting to take shape. I found and old sign, bench and then also re-attached the fencing. I could only find one barrel, I'm sure there is a box of them somewhere around here! I need to find some sacks too, or the brewery will be going out of business. The grey card behind the brewery building is going to be a large chimney, classic way to hide the join in the backsceen. 

post-19113-0-09989000-1517039649_thumb.jpg

My Adams tank is also on the way back from Hattons :) They have exchanged it and while they had it I asked them to add a DCC decoder, so it should be ready for a run when it get's here (Might need running in on the test track first)

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My branch is going to have some shared running.. I've some southern coaches and need a few trucks.. 

But, the postman hasn't arrived yet.. I'm not sure if it will be today or not, with the bank holiday I've no idea how long the post might take. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

First things first.. The Pannier got a driver, fireman and some real coal on the back.. Always nice to see someone in the cab. Lots more to do on the loco, but it's a start.

post-19113-0-76770800-1517039769_thumb.jpg

I'd already planned for a few Southern trains to grace the station.. When I saw the Adams I knew I needed one.. So here she is, first run into the branch..

post-19113-0-33939000-1517039770_thumb.jpg

Fireman needs a rest after the long run..

post-19113-0-00401100-1517039771_thumb.jpg

And all ready to depart on the return journey.

post-19113-0-38933000-1517039771_thumb.jpg

It's got a Hattons direct 8 pin decoded in now. I'm going to need to tweak the settings about a bit as I can't get a nice pull away and stop with my standard tweaks. 

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 7