GWR Branch - Castle Down. Mostly GWR with an odd SR working

sjrixon

• RMweb Gold
post-19113-0-50575000-1503499521_thumb.jpg

Lots of the old links to picture are broken. I'm not linking them again, so here is a google album with them all in.

This project was never meant to happen, but the world conspired against me to make it inevitable. I've a 009 layout that I've been building for a few years, nice and simple, small and easy to complete, that I will never complete! But my first love has always been the GWR, most of my stock is centered around that, but clearly I didn't have the time to build in 00 and anyway I am a member of a club, so my stock can run there, or so I kept telling myself.

Having been away from the hobby for a while I'd not seen the improvements that had come from DCC. I saw a largish GWR branch at a local exhibition running on JMRI using iPhones for the controllers and knew I needed to know more. Next I had the fortune to join an operating session of a fellow club member's large DCC layout, this gave me a real insight into what was really possible when I thew out all my preconceptions of DC operation. We also started to have a DCC night at my club, converting the layout to work on DC and DCC, therefore I needed a way to move a few key locos to DCC.

Next came a simple setup of a SPROGIII, an old laptop and some test track. I'd already had one loco chipped by a friend so I had a start, I bought 3 Zimo chips and I was off! One Pannier was a plug in and go, the next was a Bachmann split chassis conversion, the other one is in the draw for now. I setup a small board, 3 points and a few trucks. The control from my mobile phone was amazing.

I knew I had a few frames that I had build a few years ago for a project that never got off the ground, I'd over estimated the size that was practicable and never done anything with them. The thought was I could cut them down and make a small shutting plank, with a fiddle yard, but I'd learned from my 009 layout that the fiddle yard didn't want to be behind the layout. This layout is in the middle of the room and you have to operate from the back, I find this frustrating now as I miss looking at my own layout, I'm looking over a high backscene. This is a home layout that will never travel.

I started playing around with SCARM in the space I had, but I couldn't quite get what I wanted. To have the train actually leave the scene, the fiddle yard had to take up a lot of space, or be buried at the back. Also looking at the track work and points, I was using a lot in such a small space, so not really saving any money by going small. I then realised one afternoon that because of the height of the frame I'd built, I could have a fiddle yard across my work bench. It would be high enough to have space underneath and not really restrict my working area.  I had enough wood in the garage to complete the job too! The frames are possibly a little light in places, but I've added some extra strength, it isn't designed to move anywhere else, but can come out should I need to get to the layout or we move house. The frames have been topped with OSB. I'd quite a large amount of excess from a re-roof of my workshop/shed, so didn't really see why I should want to spend out on expensive plywood. OSB claims to be significantly more environmentally friendly. Track will be on cork and the rest will be lost under paint and scenery. I've not seen people using this, so I hope this wasn't bad call.

There are some amazing GWR Layouts on this forum that I've spent many hours looking at, the workmanship of some people is simply amazing. I'll name drop a few, but I'm sure you know them all already. Marlingford & Begbrooke, Nod to Brent, Mayshill, Much Murkle and Berry Pomeroy. Hintock is a personal favorite, John Flan's build style and updates showing the organic progress of the layout really inspired me and again with his current progress on Port Bredy. Previously I'd been paralyzed into not doing anything for fear of making a mistake. I've been much more open to getting on with it with my 009 layout, you can always change your mind or rebuild an area, isn't this what this hobby is all about?

My plan is simple, I want to build a minimum space GWR branch with maximum operating potential. My real love in this hobby is running trains in as realistic manner as I can. Lots of excuses for freight, using a card system, I use something similar on my 009 to give me a variety and reason to run trains. It makes it a lot more involved for me. 

Station at the back.. I'd like a yard, dairy and cattle dock, but those exact details are yet to be decided. Progress will be sporadic as I have two small children that take up most of my free time. But the pleasure this hobby brings is worth it! So if you are interested in a novice that is going to dive head long into DCC, Sprogs, JMRI, Cobalt point motors and engine driver, then welcome along for the ride!

-MgKT4cCsTopyr_CcKkjo5GgC0JIqMwCQse8A1pvDtTKEZjOAxNajanN7tQX-PDQQrHWufy2gbrVRo5B91-b122fgubq74QS07XGBB0GFvkvx6_Bs20kuzJ5Qa5lQinkmbHjSIJNHMdiToYCS74W1zThiAgF4KorUjRHBK5gjC10SJCrTrK4jvCNivjOu9SwjxJtYBCbNzIgfIg0105ppxIsaUIcH98kRNzX57XUppyAu6ryeiatvIHALh-g4ILpRzSNCHWIBTjHTeRJuUR-HGB5BXu2i9JI22jKPUSQkdH0fYx0DCHNmGYpdTo86ysenIvmmvotTLm0zjLfC-p4QdoSKanuIXrU_WWgAQlywe2EgRve_eAEb98RdGRg-Jo1XS4kIXxEslkxbq3bCk5GrHsHE90Yg-tTuhIxTd6zTUpzsJOvXp5MDh_JhOPBlZ-nVa1kPTZz7-xsJ8QmI5tBx0JW6U0c-kFue3Ptq-RCJV4oB_br4NHY6MT2N6Mgacv8x597zDcr6ceLnTVrDJkQs_rH7_Mvz1g2z1f_7VMTULB4hljoDHbyPn9KYRoiWTMGcpNL-6c7g2iFwQ6sAWnqtmPqEnaF4m2UtsH1zOnwL8JpNHfYNnC-d0YyWw=w1024-h576-no

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

post-19113-0-55793800-1517036838_thumb.jpg

The back of the first ever code 75 electrofrog point I have bought.. Oh this is going to be fun!

So, using frog switching.. They say cut the wires between the top of the frog and then solder a join in the top gaps in the middle.

2 simple questions...

1) How on earth do I get some cutters in that gap? It's surrounded by plastic!

2) How on earth do I get a soldering iron in the other gap? It's also surrounded by plastic!

Edited by sjrixon

IMAG0900_zpskgcznp8h.jpg

The back of the first ever code 75 electrofrog point I have bought.. Oh this is going to be fun!

So, using frog switching.. They say cut the wires between the top of the frog and then solder a join in the top gaps in the middle.

2 simple questions...

1) How on earth do I get some cutters in that gap? It's surrounded by plastic!

2) How on earth do I get a soldering iron in the other gap? It's also surrounded by plastic!

1, A tiny screwdriver will flick them off.

2, Cut away a little more webbing and you should be fine with most irons.

Sorry about the poor pics

post-9335-0-45214000-1487844186_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97241400-1487844212_thumb.jpg

I hope this is of some help.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I did think about adding some NG to the design, but couldn't work out how to get it on and off scene. The fiddle yard is already a little cramped.

With regards to adding NG, you could always presume there is a private narrow gauge railway nearby but off scene which requires a constant supply of coal and occasionally rolling stock sent away by SG for repairs

SVRlad

• RMweb Gold

It makes you wonder why Peco make it so hard. I've a small radius code 100 point and there is a gap so I can get cutters in, the 75 is buried in plastic.

You've really got me thinking about the NG... I'll start laying out the track, maybe, just maybe.. 

• RMweb Gold

I started layout out the track to get an idea of how it's all going to fit together. Excuse the Hornby buildings, I found them in an old box, you cannot deny your roots! 

post-19113-0-51387500-1517037042_thumb.jpg

The highlight is a key length that I need to check, that will be the maximum length of trucks that can be shunting into the rear to sidings. I do have a little play with the location of the slip, just need to leave space to get the motor underneath as that's the baseboard joint.

I already don't like the shed where it is, I'll flip it to the other end of the layout where there is more room. I also think the long right siding will have the diary on the end. I wanted to make sure the milk tank can come on the back of the coaches and be simply uncoupled and run into the dairy. It will also create further interest as other supplies are delivered and block the tanks in. Planning then required to move out of the way before the milk is due in and out. 

There is a small water crane up at the end of the station. I've a tank somewhere, but couldn't find it at the time.

Wider shot showing the two other sidings.

post-19113-0-12219100-1517037095_thumb.jpg

Should create some space.. I need to then sketch in the platform etc at the back. 

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
I love Cobalt motors, and DCC wiring!

There was much internal debate about which way I was going to go with point motors. This project was never meant to a huge undertaking, just something to play with while I'm limited on time and space. I hope once the Children are a little older I'll have some time and maybe some help to build something bigger. But now I love these Cobalts!

It's what you don't know that catches you out. I didn't know that Peco Electrofrog points had the frog wire now attached, the 009 ones I had certainly didn't. I'd wired them with Seep motors with the on board switch, but it's such a pain. 2 wires back to a panel and connect to the panel switch, which normally means some kind of large connector as you want to disconnect the panel from the layout. Then the frog wiring is 2 more wires from the left and right rail of the point and then another on the frog. Connect them to a 'chock block' and then solder wires to the motor to screw to the other side of the chock block. It's a good hour per motor. 

Now the same with the Cobalt. Bring 2 wires from the bus, that is running right next to the motor. Then because that's also the track feed, just run one wire to the point. That's the only one you need to solder as Peco give you quite a short wire. Add to that the little clips to hold the wires (no solder), the sticky pads to hold the motor and the fact they supply the correct screws, I'm so happy!

So, I have a fiddle yard!

post-19113-0-15817500-1517037147_thumb.jpg

It need some ply at the front to protect the stock, but it's looking good!

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just stumbled across your thread whilst doing a bit of casual browsing. You have a good plan, and I don't just mean the track layout although that looks to mirror Much Murkle with some minor differences. I can vouch that it will give you lots of good operating potential. Jules has made the point about your trackwork not being overcrowded and flowing, I can only agree. To make a country GWR branch terminus convincing (those of other companies may also apply but won't be mentioned) it helps to have room to model some of the surrounding non-railway areas. Many were on the fringes of the communities they served.  

I too like to try and operate in an authentic manner when the layout is at home although I don't use card systems, just running the traffic that I feel would be apropriate for a daily schedule with the ocassional special thrown in to the mix. However when at exhibitions this goes out of the window and a fixed sequence comes into play to keep it entertaining.

Good luck with the build and I'll be following with interest.

I read about this layout called 'Holcombe Brook and Tottingdon' (thread attached below) where the three main scenic sections were each separated by a covered bare baseboard where the running lines ran through. Perhaps you could do the same between this project and your future bigger plan, or even create it so that if you want to exhibit them they can both be exhibited either together or independently of each other

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44952-holcombe-brook-tottington/

SVRlad

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pre- About 1930 ish. That Pannier is in 34 livery, it might get moved back to earlier.. We will see :) The Mogul is the first target for that as it's sporting G W R at the moment, which is more 42 onwards, which is too late.

• RMweb Gold

I've got the first two points down on the scenic section. I've been cleaning up the Peco points, removing the large clips for the peco motors and the spring section in the middle. I've then slotted a sleeper into the gap that's been created. I think it's looks much better and helps it blending into the bullhead rail.

post-19113-0-55672700-1517037265_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been playing around to make sure everything will work before I start on the loop and yard track work. I keep changing my mind about the dairy, but I think it just adds a nice bit of interest, so right now, it stays.

You can see the milk tanks bottom right (Butter tub as the building). There has been a drop off of some other odds and end that they need and one cattle truck is next to the dock (The lurpak tub). A small freight has arrived in the loop, a passenger trains is about to depart and the Siphon is sat in the parcels bay. It's a busy morning.

post-19113-0-84362700-1517037347_thumb.jpg

Following the departure of the passenger train the pannier runs round and pushes the trucks out of the way to release the brake van. That is then pushed to the headshut. It then pulls the trucks back out, and runs round again, as this train didn't have any trucks for the dairy or other siding.

post-19113-0-63981600-1517037348_thumb.jpg

It's then free to shunt into the shed and other road.

post-19113-0-94991400-1517037349_thumb.jpg

The yard area.. And Tunnel for the scenic break.

post-19113-0-56243000-1517037350_thumb.jpg

I think there is plenty of space. I was worried that as the two main siding are now on the reverse that it wouldn't work. 

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get the loop in place late yesterday. Neither the slip of the point is wired, I wanted to get this section all in place before I committed to point motors. With the baseboard joint it looks a little fussy at the moment, I hope with some cosmetic sleepers slid in, painting and ballasted it will tidy up nicely..

post-19113-0-40531800-1517037553_thumb.jpg

Now I can wire up this section and be able to run round my trains. 

I've also started the build of the station building, but I'm now thinking I should have started with the goods shed as it might effect the shape of the siding! 

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 5