Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

BRM Spring 2017

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Steve1980

Steve1980

Brand Editor - BRM,MRL,RMweb

• Administrators
  • 858 posts
  • LocationBourne, Lincolnshire

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:35

Hi all,

The new Spring 2017 issue of BRM is now available to download as a Digital Edition. You'll notice that this month's Digital Edition includes a lot of extra images. The print version will be in shops around the UK from Thursday.

We really hope you like this month's magazine. It features a few design tweaks and we've worked hard to include a variety of layouts and practical articles in OO, N and O. It also includes the British Model Railway Awards results and a review of Heljan's new 1361 & 1366 0-6-0 tanks. Below is a full list of what's inside this month's magazine.

Enjoy,

Steve

spr_17.jpg

***INCLUDES BRM TV DVD*** 

In this episode of BRM TV...
•  Clarendon in action
•  How to make a river
•  Watch us build a N gauge kit

Layouts
• Hope-under Dinmore 
• Smoke and Mirrors 
• Ludlow
• Forest Gate Parkway

Practical
Wickham Shed Diorama: a step-by-step guide to building a Wickham Trolley shed
Detail a 1970s Station Platform: we show you how to add distinctive 1970's features
Enhance Bachmann's New Thompson Coaches: add finishing touches to Bachmann's latest LNER/BR carriages
Add a Smoking Chimney: want an industrial layout feature  to further enhance your model railway? We show you how.
Build an N Gauge bridge Kit: we build a laser-cut bridge kit 
Model a local icon: we share how a new kit representing an historic 15th century building can be improved
Fit DCC to a Wickham Trolley: try this elegant conversion of Bachmann's new railway engineering personnel carrier from DC to DCC

News & Reviews
Products: a trip to the London Toy Fair yielded announcements from Oxford Rail and updates from Bachmann and Hornby.
Reviews: we examine Heljan's 1366, Dapol's 'Black Label' A4, Bachmann's Class 57/6, S&DJR 7F 2-8-0 and its new Highland coach pack.
British Model Railway Awards: Find out who has been voted the best of 2016 for each category.

Plus
• Interview with scalemodelscenery.com
• Trackplan Archive
• Industry Insider

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 sjrixon

sjrixon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:05

You'll notice that this month's Digital Edition includes a lot of extra images

About time!! :) Looking forward to it!

#3 sjrixon

sjrixon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 11:20

Had a quick scan through.. Very good.. For those that haven't yet, there are a couple of the reviews which have whole galleries attached. The Gresley A4 for example has 5 shots, the cab interior, the tender to loco cable join, the underside of the tender, the tender and the top off the loco showing motor and other bits. This is what digital editions are all about. Thanks BRM.

• Thanks x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 Acklam

Acklam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:38

It features a few design tweaks

Downloaded and scanned before seeing this thread, yes I did notice quite a few extra pictures  :good_mini:

#5 chrisf

chrisf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 24 February 2017 - 16:32

Hope under Dinmore is an EM layout.  I doubt that its creators and operators will appreciate it being described as OO on the front cover.

Chris

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

#6 Andy Y

Andy Y

RMweb Editor

• Administrators
  • 14,314 posts
  • LocationStaffs

Posted 24 February 2017 - 16:38

I doubt that its creators and operators will appreciate it being described as OO on the front cover.

Yes; that is an error and I'm sure I can find someone to blame. ;). It's very clear inside that it's EM and I'd be hopeful that the South Hants MRC can forgive us (as they're a really decent bunch).

Have you had a look inside yet Chris or are you just picking from Steve's image?

#7 Steve1980

Steve1980

• Administrators
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 16:38

Had a quick scan through.. Very good.. For those that haven't yet, there are a couple of the reviews which have whole galleries attached. The Gresley A4 for example has 5 shots, the cab interior, the tender to loco cable join, the underside of the tender, the tender and the top off the loco showing motor and other bits. This is what digital editions are all about. Thanks BRM.

Thank you. We have some really exciting ideas on how to take the Digital Edition forward. This month is just the start...

• Like x 2

#8 chrisf

chrisf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • LocationBedford

Posted 24 February 2017 - 17:05

Have you had a look inside yet Chris or are you just picking from Steve's image?

I could not help spotting the reference in the picture of the cover in Steve's post above.  I am a print subscriber and await Postie's pleasure.

Chris

#9 Andy Y

Andy Y

RMweb Editor

• Administrators
  • 14,314 posts
  • LocationStaffs

Posted 24 February 2017 - 17:10

I ... await Postie's pleasure.

Not a vision I wanted to take into the weekend with me.

• Funny x 6

#10 gwrrob

gwrrob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,593 posts
  • LocationOn the GW mainline in South Devon.

Posted 24 February 2017 - 17:31

Not more bloody Great Western...... :read:

• Funny x 5

#11 D9020 Nimbus

D9020 Nimbus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 16:50

One thing I've always liked about the 'digital' BRM is that it goes further than simply providing a replica of the printed version. Glad that you're proposing to take this further.
  • Thanks x 2

#12 Huw Griffiths

Huw Griffiths

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCwmbran

Posted 25 February 2017 - 19:45

Not more bloody Great Western...... :read:

It could be worse.

In fact, it could be much worse.

That's right - it could be (** insert railway company of choice **).

#13 valleymodeller

valleymodeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:56

Looking forward to seeng Forest Gate Parkway in print and hope my subs edition come soon! Graham Mann has built a 1st class Modern Image layout there (and by modern image I mean right up to date, as modern image to me is about 1970!).

Tony

#14 Trains&armour

Trains&armour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationGroningen, The Netherlands

Posted 27 February 2017 - 15:30

P. 87, GREEN LIGHT FOR HATTON’S ‘WARWELL’

Nice picture of the Oxford offering....

#15 Howard Smith

Howard Smith

Features Editor

• Administrators
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 16:10

P. 87, GREEN LIGHT FOR HATTON’S ‘WARWELL’

Nice picture of the Oxford offering....

Well spotted and we apologise to both Hatton's and Oxford Rail for the confusion. Photographs of Hatton's Warwell can be found here.

• Like x 1

#16 Steve1980

Steve1980

• Administrators
  • 858 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:37

Hi all,

Here's a preview to the Spring issue DVD:

Enjoy.

Steve

• Thanks x 2
  • Like x 1

#17 JohnR

JohnR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 13:55

Subs copy not arrived yet - has there been any problems with distribution like last month?

#18 Blackeunos

Blackeunos

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 16:13

Subs copy not arrived yet - has there been any problems with distribution like last month?

Hi John

Like you I am a subscriber so as I had not received the March issue I rang Warners and found a prerecorded message saying dispatch had been delayed and that it should be with me by Monday. Didn't say which Monday though!!!

Stewart

#19 Dan Griffin

Dan Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationPeterborough

Posted 01 March 2017 - 16:23

Problems dispatching again? I subscribed in october last year and every single issue hs arrived after publication in the shops. Time to cancel the forect debit i think.

#20 Andy Y

Andy Y

RMweb Editor

• Administrators
  • 14,314 posts
  • LocationStaffs

Posted 01 March 2017 - 16:29

Problems dispatching again? I subscribed in october last year and every single issue hs arrived after publication in the shops. Time to cancel the forect debit i think.

I don't think it will be 'every single issue'; you were very unlucky if your January issue arrived late, the print department sent them out a couple of weeks before it went on sale in the shops! Only once has mine arrived later than the shop issues; that was last month.

#21 valleymodeller

valleymodeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 01 March 2017 - 18:53

I don't think it will be 'every single issue'; you were very unlucky if your January issue arrived late, the print department sent them out a couple of weeks before it went on sale in the shops! Only once has mine arrived later than the shop issues; that was last month.

I got my January one on the Thursday or Friday before Xmas. which was 2 weeks before the appeared in the shops. Last month it came on the Thursday they went in the shops and I hope mine will come tomorrow on day it will be in the shops again. I'd like to get it early but at least i don't have to waste any time or petrol trying to find a copy in Sainsbury's or the like.

• Informative/Useful x 1

#22 kipford

kipford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hants

Posted 01 March 2017 - 19:23

Not more bloody Great Western......  :read:

Not all, Hope-under-Dinmore which is the layout on the front cover and the one you are presumably referring to is based on the Shrewsbury - Hereford line which was jointly operated by the LNWR and the GWR, Having not seen the article yet, hopefully Andy has pictures in it that equally represent both companies :D.

Andy

The Hope crew forgive you, mistakes do happen, BRM can buy the beers at Ally Pally in recompense :prankster: .

• Friendly/Supportive x 1

#23 valleymodeller

valleymodeller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 02 March 2017 - 13:59

Received my copy this morning and it looks a cracker! 

I was with the owner/builder of Forest gate parkway last night and he was thrilled (and still waiting) to receive his subs copy, so he went and got the digital version too. I've only scanned through the magazine and it looks great, and I can assure you that Forest Gate Parkway looks just as good live (it is at the show I am organising for Pontypridd MRC on April 22- blatant plug), well worth seeing. I am told by a well known local retailer that Modern Image is the biggest selling sector for them, and after seeing the Dapol 68 fly out of the shops I'm not surprised. it's not just the variety, and volume, of Graham's stock but his modelling of the station and other detailing is top notch too.

I'm really glad I subscribed to BRM on my visit to Warley last November.

• Thanks x 1

#24 Steve1980

Steve1980

• Administrators
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 15:06

Hi all,

I just wanted to explain (and apologise) for the late subscription deliveries. As some of you have stated, BRM March and BRM Spring were late in being posted which meant both issues arrived with subscribers either on the on-sale date, or the day after.

I'm not going to lie and make excuses. As a subscriber you should receive your copy a few days prior to the on-sale date. I was only made aware of the late delivery yesterday and have insisted that BRM's mailing is brought forward two days to give us a cushion period should problems arise. I've also put it in my diary to chase up our mailing department a few days prior to the posting date, mainly to keep them on their toes.

Sorry for this everyone. I'm on the case!

Steve

Publisher

• Thanks x 4
  • Like x 3
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#25 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 16:36

My subs copy arrived today but as I'm unlikely to get anywhere near a shop selling BRM until tomorrow at the earliest (and maybe not even then) I've still got it earlier than I would have if I wasn't a subscriber.