Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

Update!

33686681422_aa4687f9fc_c.jpg

All quiet on the southern front, while we sort our stuff for moving and i wait for things to arrive.

I made a start on the ratio signal-box interior kit, really enjoyable actually, although I wasn't aiming to be 100% prototypical with the levers, so I may indeed do another one of these when they track plan for the layout is final and try to match it. Now to find a suitable signal-box, as the gaugemaster one is, errr, rather inadequate. 

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

• Like 4

Update!

P R O G R E S S !

Dealing with HMRS directly was the cure, and so, I finally have some transfers! Which means I was able to finish off the 700 as no 692

33901611725_51b0874357_c.jpg

33772322691_82f28966ef_c.jpg

33772288231_63874035c4_c.jpg

Looks a little wonky in the last one, but they are straight (Promise!). I think I may end up grabbing another one or two 700's as they are on special at a certain Manchester based online retailer. Also took arrival of another 902 'Wellington', which was quickly renumbered to 900 'Eton'

33516696300_19c85e22bc_c.jpg

33860720396_c78e0187e3_c.jpg

33516692800_9882b2f803_c.jpg

Just means I'm now waiting on plates and chimneys for both 900 and 938 'St Olaves' and they will be done! Which means I am halfway through the 3 out of a planned 6 - just need to find a few more 925 'Cheltenham' donors, or Hornby could bring out another release with the high cab window in malachite..   :no: I actually really like the methfix transfers, I think I still prefer the pressfix ones but these are definitely a close second. 

A few new additions this week, have been doing pretty well on ebay! Among them was a Q1, definitely a staple a Guildford, even though C21 wasn't allocated there, I've decided to leave it as is now, with a few minor tweaks, just the usual dirty black and a decent run in after some cleaning and lubrication.

33516771830_e6649f41a8_c.jpg

33516748940_de79f6548f_c.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the ebay bargains end up being a little worse for wear. I picked up the wide splasher 6 wheel tender variation T9 in Southern Wartime black, went to go and turn it on and all the only response was a grinding noise. Took the shell off and it was pretty apparent why it was going nowhere.

33088624073_5272984bd6_c.jpg

You can get a rather nifty metal replacement one from Peters Spares, but the rear motor mount is out of stock at the moment, so this, unfortunately will take a back seat for a while.

Luckily it gives me time to work on the next project, which has already turned out to be a massive failure.. Stay tuned for the next post for more -That's all for now, thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10

Update!

Quick lick of dirty black for this one, looking at renumbering possibly.

33887117346_c4d61937c8_c.jpg

Speaking of renumbering, I need to sort out a number for this. Something close to guildford, or that atleast would've been seen there regularly - anyone have any suggestions?

33798551701_805473d25d_c.jpg

Now for the massive failure. Which is less of a failure and more of an oversight on my behalf, 

I'33115312233_f9cb4ba99a_c.jpg

I only realised when I went to go look for numbering options.. OH WELL, I suppose i'll have a look into adding the SR details, mainly just where I can get them from or how easy they'd be the scratch-build. I will definitely pick up another one, as Guildford had one allocated, but I would like for it to be correct..

Nothing lost (really) but a little bit of experience gained  

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 4

Update! 

Decided to finish off the N class over the long weekend! it's 6pm Friday here, and it's done! I finished the transfers off, and it really speaks for the quality when the 'Southern' on the tender survived the excessive handling required for this next step:

33639124350_1888e99eb9_c.jpg

33895594251_2a77a0ae86_c.jpg

Started by drilling out the coal load and gluing in some plastikard strips as guides. I then forgot to take pictures of pretty all of much the rest. But I filed down the inside of the tender to remove the lip as much as could be done, then used some putty to smooth it out and fabricated the bunker interior

33868189812_db190f1cac_c.jpg

33867401872_cdde453976_c.jpg

33639126220_0fbb934598_c.jpg

Glued in place and painted 

33894821401_6ef8893559_c.jpg

Finished!

33983625956_72209fa1eb_c.jpg

Will finish off the E4 with the rest of the tie i've got, and maybe tackle one or two other things. That's all for now though, thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Update! 

Still working away on the E4, will sort out the clack valves, steam heat pipe and the rest of the piping under the right hand step. Still not sure why I bought this version!

33916743061_e2514f7772_c.jpg

Also started working on one of the two cranes for the coaling shed. this started off as a wills kit, but it wasn't quite right. This and the tender interior have been my only real forays into scratch-building, so they aren't really up to par yet, but it's good practice!

33234121203_325f16db1a_c.jpg

33234121243_968e84c141_c.jpg

Still needs a few details added. Not supposed to be exactly like the ones at Guildford but a close enough representation is good enough.

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack, sorry I didn't answer your question about the transfers, I completely lost track of this topic. Glad to see it's all work out with them, great work with the locos.

Thanks Nile! Definitely glad I went with meth-fix, seem to be very robust to handling, and are becoming easier and easier to use. The only issue i'm faced with is the clouding of unvarnished acrylic painted surfaces. But i'm sure I can sort a work around for that!

Update!

Nothing very exciting to report, went ahead and ordered an airbrush, so excited for that to arrive and test it out. Took arrival of another one of these gorgeous M7 tanks, if Hornby is listening, a long frame variant in malachite would be excellent!

33969236002_9efa2707f8_c.jpg

Weather is getting decidedly cold here, will hopefully have more to report soon!

• Like 7

Update!

Made a bit of progress here and there, impending move, (next weekend) means things will probably slow to a crawl for a while. Ah well, such is life. I had a go at weathering, on an olive green PLV, to hopefully represent the condition it would've been in, still being this colour between 1945-1947.

33811422080_51b4a07f82_c.jpg

34154842426_49a0e1ba7f_c.jpg

Sadly it changed a little with the application of matte varnish, but i'm happy for now. Also gave the crane it's first coat of grey, i actually have no idea if this is the correct colour, but I think it will suit it just fine.

34154845086_e9f563bec8_c.jpg

Also made some progress on the first few crew members for the rest of the loco fleet

34064569041_201cb88d86_c.jpg

That's all for now!

• Like 6

After a short (4 year) hiatus, from modelling in general, and also 4mm modeling, I have decided to make a return. This thread will mainly be detailing and outlining the motive power for my planned layout/representation of Guildford shed.

The thing that really prompted me was seeing the wealth of SR offerings from all the different manufacturers, it was an extremely reasonably priced S15 from Hattons that kicked things off again a few weeks ago.

First up was detailing one of the excellent Hornby Maunsell coaches. Painting the door at the end, adding a belt to the alternator (if that's what it actually is) flipping the bogie and removing the rear most coupling. I also quickly tried to make the interior a little less plastiky, you can't really see anything anyways, but I know it's there!

32196610844_909d0968f3.jpg

32196611644_53d4b30890.jpg

To bring it back to the S15, which I have to say is an absolutely amazing creation. One thing that really stood out was the fall-plate, a small detail I know, but all the small details are what make a model - right? So I decided that the Schools class and the T9 both needed a change. 

32722299810_e0f80a67f0.jpg

33062795676_458654551a.jpg

Nile, of this parish, used this technique, and I have shamelessly used it myself.

33062792316_da6947e9ac.jpg

Here it is sitting between the rear most handrails of the cab, you can also see here the tender drawbar that I made from plastikard, as the Hornby one was too far away on the 'long' gap, and too close on the 'short' gap.

32977466281_2f260c27cd.jpg

Here it is with some mesh PVA'ed on top to look like checkerplate. it can pivot up and down, and I think it's an improvement over the oddly angled glued fall plate these locos come with.

32722294630_8ab5b9c784.jpg

The T9 doesn't have the mesh on yet, but the cab is so narrow, I might try and attach the fireman to the fallplate, we shall see.

The final thing I've been working on, is SR route discs, i'm still unsure if these were used with reporting numbers on them during SR days, or if it was all just post nationalization. A good use of some 7mm transfers that would otherwise be in the bin.

33063816196_a5f8cd360a.jpg

That's all for now, I'm currently in the process of sketching out plans for a layout. 

Updates as they happen, thanks for reading guys!

Jack,

Impressive, working dynamos on your carriages ! Now what could you power with that mmpphh ???

I was a Guildford driver for a while in BR days. 

Edited by 71000
  • Like 2

UPDATE

Not much has happened recently, but that's because the majority of things have been packed up while we sort out a house. I did take delivery of a BR/S PMV which I've had a quick go at renumbering, i'm sure it's not correct, but I've got no idea whereI would get the correct transfers - tips appreciated!

33732613613_295fe126b8_c.jpg

Also picked this up locally for about $6, I was rapt!

34543363235_7dd4ee96b3_c.jpg

Hopefully more soon! Thanks for reading

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jack

I use HMRS transfers for this sort of thing - unfortunately means placing each separate digit but I don't know of anyone doing transfers for a specific range of PMV numbers.

Tony

Jack,

Shame we don't live a bit nearer, you'd be a very helpful person to have around, with your obvious talents for tarting up stock. I have the current problem of half my modelling tools and paints at the workshop where "Basingstoke" is under construction, and the other half at home (2 miles away) so I can tart up my stock when I get home, if I don't fall asleep trying to cook supper in the meantime..... How's your house move going?

Edited by 71000

That's very kind, would definitely be willing to lend a hand, would need to be extremely long, to reach to spain - but the intention is there haha! That PMV was pretty simple though, just took the BR/S markings off with some enamel thinner and put on some methfix ones! I have the same issue, probably not as far away but all but some essential files, craft knives and glue are packed away in my parents garage - move is all done (thank ####) currently in my temporary accomodation until I hear back about signing my life away on a mortgage!

Transfers coming off is actually the issue i've been having with this Lord Nelson I've been trying to improve

34642451645_530e6c145e_c.jpg

Had to cut the rear brake shoes off the end of the second bogie to they wouldn't foul the steps. might need to look into improving them so they actually sit closer to the wheel - an improved lord nelson would actually be fantastic (Bachmann if you're listening!)

34601477006_e71d88b2d6_c.jpg

And the transfers have started coming off with my handling  :beee:  which i'm not to happy about - will look into the best way to go about fixing this, probably be re-lining the whole area which is a bit daunting

34605555966_e8dd129fcc_c.jpg

34484390452_95fc68142f_c.jpg

The donor schools class has really proved that it was a worthwhile investment - getting one engine complete and detailing the interior of this cab (and leaving me with a spare tender!), still working on the planking for the cab floor and shortening the tender-loco connection, needs vacuum hoses and pipes as well as plenty more to be complete, but it'll get there - the cab interior needs a quick repaint to finish it off before planks go in, then theres cab doors, fallplate etc :S Next up is a T9 that I picked up locally which has already had the numbers removed and is waiting for primer to then be repainted black. Will keep the same number, just in wartime black.

33803842624_0319ab58c6_c.jpg

Also flipped the tender frames around and repaired the break and the missing cab handrails which was part of the reason this loco was so cheap!

34484391502_872af2c081_c.jpg

more updates soon, hopefully! Cheers for reading

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 6

Not much going on, just building up my stock, and stockpiling projects.

Most recently I picked up an Oxford Rail Adams Raidal, it was a steal, and while I probably just should've waited for the Wartime black/Sunshine livery release, It's no fun if you're not doing something yourself. I was amazed at how it came apart, absolutely excellent!

34621883511_0188dc0b77_c.jpg

It really is a nice model, I may just pick up the SR livery option when it's released anyway. This is where I managed to get up to tonight, the biggest mission was getting the number plate and shed code off the front of the smokebox, but I think it looks ok, need to paint the cab and add transfers over the weekend when I get time, and hopefully it'll see some track time at the club on sunday!

33911421744_547225f4be_c.jpg

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Update!

Nothing very exciting to report, went ahead and ordered an airbrush, so excited for that to arrive and test it out. Took arrival of another one of these gorgeous M7 tanks, if Hornby is listening, a long frame variant in malachite would be excellent!

I could be wrong, but I don't believe any of the long framed M7s ever got Malachite*.

The short framed ones that did (as per modelled by Hornby) were I believe allocated to ECS moves between Clapham Junction sidings and Waterloo and were painted thus to match the new Merchant Navy pacifics and Bulleid coaching stock being introduced on important trains post WW2.

Had nationalisation not got in the way then I imagine more of the class (including the long framed variant) would have eventually gone green.

* I'm not so sure about Malachite with "British Railways" spelt out in the 'Sunshine' style though

Edited by phil-b259

Phil, I'm not sure either, that's a very good point. I think the long framed variants look nice in black anyway! (now to get my hands on one)

I know that on of the two Hornby produced (676?) was allocated to Guildford in 1947, as I have another on the way I may have to locate an M7 that was definitely in malachite before I renumber!

• Like 1

Update!

A massive failure and oversight on my behalf has left me with this!

34789372705_0616790f60_c.jpg

34406417000_73f41674d9_c.jpg

34629915312_f5a00ef716_c.jpg

34752206116_3b48dcf89b_c.jpg

Not only are the numbers on the bunker the wrong size, it's also got incorrect frames for the number, which is odd to me because the base model was BR 30584 with these frames, but the soon to be released Oxford rail version with this number has different front frames, so i'm not sure where the muck up has occurred. Either way the numbers are still too big, which is a shame, because IMO it actually came out quite nice, and looks ok with the larger numbers.

Ah well, live and learn, Will probably take a back seat for now though, while I finish off the T9 lurking in the back there

As always thanks for reading!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looking good.  Small point though - shouldn't the number on the rear of the bunker (3250) match that on the side (3520) ?  Lateness of the hour perhaps?

Edit - Although where you are it wasn't that late, I should've looked first!

Edited by SR Chris

Looking good.  Small point though - shouldn't the number on the rear of the bunker (3250) match that on the side (3520) ?  Lateness of the hour perhaps?

Edit - Although where you are it wasn't that late, I should've looked first!

Ahahahahaha!! I hadn't noticed, that's hilarious, It wasn't late, but I am extremely silly, and this has turned out to be even more of a stuff up than usual. 

Quality control has some serious explaining to do!  :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ahahahahaha!! I hadn't noticed, that's hilarious, It wasn't late, but I am extremely silly, and this has turned out to be even more of a stuff up than usual. 

Quality control has some serious explaining to do!  :nono:

I hate to say so, but it seems to be even worse - it has 3250 on one side as well...............