Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

I hope you mean that!

41053020822_d89493ab0d_b.jpg

Anyone with any suitable number suggestions - please let me know!

Repaints were plain black from March 1941 so I imagine the majority ended in that livery?  But a quick look at photos has only produced one definitive example so far, ie 1239.

Chris KT

Thanks Chris, I think I've found one or two that would be suitable. Those buffers are a minefield! 1519 looks promising, i found a negative on ebay that shows it in this condition (am going to make sure before i leap though)

Getting closer to finishing the air control van, tonight I managed to add the buffer-beam pipes, get the glazing done, test fit couplings, and get the torpedo vents on the roof. I still need to do the end handrails, but I've just noticed, my last .50 drill bit, snapped. Damn.

41209481122_534925e508_b.jpg

While the H is still un-numbered I fitted the buffer-beam details, a slightly modified Hornby screw link, and the vac pipe.

26380568137_b2039ae822_b.jpg

I'll leave you with this shot of the weathered (and incorrectly lined) M7 243. Thanks for reading!

41209480972_3f948960ef_b.jpg

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 12

Can I ask where you picked up the white metal Roof Vents please (hopefully not New Zealand!). (lovely work btw)

Lanakshire Model Supplies (LMS), they supplied all of the whitemetal parts on this model, and while i'm listing things, the two black vacuum hoses are Hornby, and the coupling is Roxey.

Thanks very much for your comments!

I now realise all of the photos are quite washed out and pale, still trying to get used to a proper camera, and get my head around editing software. My apologies all.

Lanakshire Model Supplies (LMS), they supplied all of the whitemetal parts on this model, and while i'm listing things, the two black vacuum hoses are Hornby, and the coupling is Roxey.

Thanks very much for your comments!

I now realise all of the photos are quite washed out and pale, still trying to get used to a proper camera, and get my head around editing software. My apologies all.

Not sure I agree about the photos being washed out. 

Different folk will have different monitors and settings. On my monitor they look bright but fine, ideal in fact for photos of models, particularly in black, and needing to show chassis detail.

Before you alter anything I'd suggest you wait for feedback from other readers.

John.

Thanks for the Info. I built a Dundas kit but it came with No vents which is a bit a a pain as I have to order to get them sent from the UK to Ireland now..

If you look carefully you'll probably find the vents are there - probably green plastic and rather undernourished ...... yes whitemetal ones are probably a better option .......... and should be the earlier 'round' type* for most of the SECR / air-control vans rather than the 'squashed' type.

* as on Hornby LSWR 58' rebuilt coaches

• Like 1

should be the earlier 'round' type* for most of the SECR / air-control vans rather than the 'squashed' type.

Would you say the ones on this ACV are the wrong type in that case? I did try and find some SECR specific ones, but had no luck..

Would you say the ones on this ACV are the wrong type in that case? I did try and find some SECR specific ones, but had no luck..

The ones I've used for my SECR 'Edith Cavell' vans were ABS LNWR ones if I remember rightly - Lanarkshire don't seem to do an equivalent but there are some nice brass Midland ones in the Comet range which might suit ( and a number of other types without pictures ! ) ............ check your photos anyway as some of the early vans could have received later pattern vents at some time, of course. 

The ones I've used for my SECR 'Edith Cavell' vans were ABS LNWR ones if I remember rightly - Lanarkshire don't seem to do an equivalent but there are some nice brass Midland ones in the Comet range which might suit ( and a number of other types without pictures ! ) ............ check your photos anyway as some of the early vans could have received later pattern vents at some time, of course. 

Now that it is all glued together, It might be a tad late to change them. Which is a shame, maybe i'll try and sort the correct ones for my next build, I need to order a few things from Comet anyways.

Short update tonight, Finished repainting another (correct prototype this time) E4 into wartime black, added a fireman, and some cab details, and weathered the interior a little. 

40553562855_9c7a66f8bd_b.jpg

Sorry about the dust, I need to remember to brush things off before I photograph them.

27576174628_ddd31b9b3d_b.jpg

My P arrived yesterday too, all I did was fit the detail pack, tweak the pickups a little and gave it a decent running in.

41447389051_22f727cf28_b.jpg

Here it is in a sort of David and Goliath pose, I also fit out the WC with front steps and draincocks from RT models. I need to get on and finish the H off, i've chosen the number 1162, I just need to pull finger and get it finished. That's all for now, might be some more updates soon, i'm expecting one or two brass kit to turn up in the coming weeks, and thus should hopefully begin my foray into kit-building. 

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10

Rt is excellent, They also do the SR 3 link couplings, which are very fiddly but do build up nicely!

41504962561_c09b4d36b4_b.jpg

Finished off another LSWR rebuild, this was 320 now 373. I am looking forward to the release of the malachite birdcages to see how my colour compares, it's certainly brighter than Hornbys version. This one was painte with railmatch, the other ones I've done are with an old Humbrol tin, there is a slight difference, the railmatch is a bit paler. I need to sit down and mix my own some day.

That's all for now

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 7

Update:

More of the same really, some weathering of another schools class, which on reflection, I'm not happy with the tender, so will be cleaned down with thinners and done again. Plus a venture out to the club this evening. I shall let the photos do the talking, as really it is just more of the same!

27666059888_4dc674db2e_b.jpg

41536232711_7623e02076_b.jpg

39727138460_faf3827a3c_b.jpg

39727136520_070964b25e_b.jpg

39727132980_3eafd99f0f_b.jpg

41536219071_02c308a4da_b.jpg

40642851005_e397911441_b.jpg

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

More lovely photo's Jack, I do like the soot effect on the schools class, very effective.

Steve.

Thanks mate!

It's been cleaned off again while I wait for some new weathering supplies, not happy with it as it was. Will update when it's finished

41686069782_76bca16a44_b.jpg

Finally finished the H. 

Nothing else to report!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I really like 182. In 1959/60/61 30183 was Station Pilot very often at Devonport Kings Road and I got to like it very much as it seemed to be there every morning as I crossed the footbridge over the 'east yard' on the way to school. Then, suddenly, it was gone......not so happy days.

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks Phil!

The sad and sometimes sudden demise of steam was still, thankfully, nearly two decades away in the sunny south, 1947.

Another quick update. 

Finally finished numbering the gate stock set, and got the 'Load 1 tons' transfer sorted with some cutting. All I really did was remove the 4 from 'load 14 tons'. Still waiting on Fox to print the sunshine style 'Third' transfers for me so I can fully finish these off.

27905398008_c1817e741c_b.jpg

Also my etched plates for Schools class, 900 'Eton' arrived, remind me why I didn't order 912's at the same time? I also had another go at weathering 912, but I can now see she's barely visible - next post.

27905875578_0de5046127_b.jpg

41774776001_c9af01fcff_b.jpg

Still not happy with the photos, so I may replace them in due course, need to sit down and properly figure out what settings/editing I need. 

Sorry it's more of the same, but that's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 9

The photo's look great to me Jack!

Tony

You are too kind, Photos might be ok, need to work on the quality of modelling next!  :locomotive:

I'd agree with Tony. If anything, the two of the Schools could be made a touch lighter, but its marginal. The Gate stock close up is excellent, with good detail in the dark bits, and strong colour throughout.

Lovely modelling, as ever!

John.

I thought that too John! Looks a bit like Doncasters Apple green..  :scared:

Will have another play around tonight to see what can be done. I think the lighting might need another look in, waiting on some more weathering supplies, hopefully to add some variety!

• Like 1

Update!

Nothing too exciting, took some photos on the club layout the other night.

40096240790_67ce2a5aba_b.jpg

40096243690_3de6994e02_b.jpg

The finished H, had to remove the spacer in the rear bogie to get both drivers to sit level on the track, now she runs perfectly!

27034861997_fc42fbee7b_b.jpg

40096245150_da9db5442b_b.jpg

Also working on getting this to look like it's in ex-works condition, the issue isn't as bad in person, but those wheels look so bad in photos. A repaint is needed I think. There are drain-cocks and front steps, but the loco won't negotiate the clubs corners with them in place so they're absent for the photo.

LSWR gate stock:

27034863317_d368895b1f_b.jpg

40096241870_4ab6d4b915_b.jpg

This is nearly finished externally, just waiting on the run of transfers from fox with the sunshine 'THIRD', I've painted the interiors, waiting on passengers to paint up and add, and a driver for the cab end.

27067875607_871cb13fc9_b.jpg

27067875707_781b7f7d09_b.jpg

I also realized that the open third I have was missing one of the footsteps on the bogie. I made one out of plastic card last night, decided not to make the front bracket, as the angle was a bit tricky to form in plastic, and brass wire didn't look right. Once painted it should look ok though. I also tried a light weathering on the roof of the open third.

That's all for now. Much of the same, need to start kit-building. 

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 15

Quick update,

Made some progress on 902 'Wellington' 

40197874060_7b52b37b0b_b.jpg 

Have ordered etched plates for this, as well as 912. I painted the wheels, just by hand, and lined the rim with black. It's a bit thick, but I think they look much better than they were. Valve gear made to look like new steel. this will be weathered down though. as even ex-works I doubt that the chassis would've been this tidy.

Also had a play with an old Bunnings soldering iron I found. Nothing exciting, attached a PDK whistle to some brass rod to replace the one from my repainted M7 that was missing on purchase. 

40197873870_626c9c35c0_b.jpg

Needs painting to match the pipework around it, then it needs a new motor, and i've just noticed the H on the side of the tank is chipped.. more to do!

That's all for now!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 12