1022 replies to this topic

#1 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 26 February 2017 - 14:35

I'm about to start integrating my portable layout into my fixed layout, and the threads devoted to each have become rather tangled, so I've decided to terminate them, and start afresh.

The layout that is intended is shown in the track-plan below (excuse the rather iffy quality of drawing) and the two photos show parts of progress to date, the first the area that is supposed to be "Birlstone", and the second "Paltry Circus", as it is currently. Alterations and additions are needed to the platforms at both.

The fiction is that Birlstone is a town in The Weald, on the northern edge of Sussex, which is served by a rail route that initially ended here, but was extended to the coast at Sanditon, while Paltry Circus is a very low-grade terminus on the eastern fringe of the City of London, being a sprig off the East London Line.

The fact is that everything is 0 scale, the track being to "coarse" standards. The trains are a mixture of 1950s Bassett-Lowke, and modern Ace, with the odd things from other sources added-in. There is a timetable, and, when I've finished fiddling about, there will be a full set of signals, so while the wheel-standards are slack, operating practices are (supposed to be) tight. And, as buildings and other things grow, there will be a pretty strict limit, which says that they must be made using materials and methods that were available no later than the early 1950s. Apart from the sleepers, plastic is almost entirely unknown here!

Welcome, old friends, and, I hope, new.

Kevin

For a quick guide to “ modern tinplate” suppliers, see Post 699.

Old threads, so that I can find them

http://www.rmweb.co....t-to-birlstone/

http://www.rmweb.co....10-mini-layout/

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0760.JPG
  • IMG_0762.JPG
  • F7DA95CF-AEAC-4A7F-9CE2-2970940BE562.png

Edited by Nearholmer, 24 February 2018 - 22:15 .

• Like x 35

#2 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,673 posts
  • LocationRoyal Wootton Bassett

Posted 26 February 2017 - 14:40

Ooohh! Goody, looks promising, loads of luck and best wishes with the outcome! Where's the pyramid/s?
  • Like x 4
  • Agree x 1

#3 hartleymartin

hartleymartin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 14:42

Reminds me somewhat of the Norman Eagles "Sherwood Division of the LMS"

• Agree x 4
  • Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#4 BG John

BG John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationWest Wales

Posted 26 February 2017 - 14:44

Ooohh! Goody, looks promising, loads of luck and best wishes with the outcome! Where's the pyramid/s?

I thought they'd all been sold and delivered to Castle Aching, where they are now presumably in the middle of a war zone. :jester:

• Funny x 4

#5 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 26 February 2017 - 15:12

Well, Mr Northroader, Sir, what this is telling you is that I'm close to notching-up enough DIY-credits to allow planning (if not actuall work quite yet) to remove Broom Cupboard Hill.

And, yes, I should have marked The Metropolitan Pyramid Company's siding as such on the plan. They continue to prosper (well, get by); while battles rage across the plains of West Norfolk, their latest installations remain, thus far, unscathed.

Kevin

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0764.PNG

• Like x 5
  • Funny x 2
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#6 ChrisN

ChrisN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 16:21

Well, this should be interesting, and no plastic.  How about Bakerlite?  I will look forward to the town being built.

• Agree x 1

#7 phil_sutters

phil_sutters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • LocationSeaford, Sussex

Posted 26 February 2017 - 17:01

This reprobate, captured on film by my Grandfather, may or may not have been involved in the removal of ancient artifacts - viz  pyramids - on behalf the Metropolitan Pyramid Company.

Egyptian police make an arrest.jpg

His accomplice may be this man seen with a sizeable chunk, of something that could be pyramid, hidden in this load of vegetation, in close proximity to the railway station. The appropriate goods terminal for this traffic should surely have been the Bricklayers Arms.

Donkeys & trains  H T Sutters Collection circa 1913.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters, 26 February 2017 - 17:06 .

• Like x 5

#8 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 26 February 2017 - 17:28

Well, Chris, what should turn up on the next train in, but a Bakelite van, courtesy of the Leeds Model Company, 1940s vintage.

Considering that the alternatives on the market were tinplate, or wood kits, which took massive skill to get looking good, these were very good models indeed, brake-gear aside.

I think LMC might have been the first to produce mounded plastic model railway vehicles in GB, starting just before WW2.

K

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0767.JPG
  • IMG_0768.PNG

Edited by Nearholmer, 26 February 2017 - 17:44 .

• Like x 14

#9 phil_sutters

phil_sutters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 17:39

Well, Chris, what should turn up on the next train in, but a Bakelite van, courtesy of the Leeds Model Company, 1940s vintage.

Considering that the alternatives on the market were tinplate, or wood kits, which took massive skill to get looking good, these were very good models indeed, brake-gear aside.

K

I am sure you know that there is a Bakelite museum. I only know because I watch Salvage Hunters.

• Like x 2
  • Funny x 1

#10 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 26 February 2017 - 17:51

Indeed.

If you follow this link, and go part way down the page, there is an old Pathe film, showing LMC Bakelite mounded models being produced in 1939, complete with Mr Chomondley-Warner commentary. http://www.leedssted...rg/history.html

K
  • Informative/Useful x 3
  • Like x 2

#11 BG John

BG John

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationWest Wales

Posted 26 February 2017 - 18:59

I am sure you know that there is a Bakelite museum. I only know because I watch Salvage Hunters.

I used to live a few miles away, but never got round to visiting. Maybe I will one day, as a grockle rather than a local resident!

• Like x 1

#12 Zomboid

Zomboid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 14:17

Nothing says "Dignity" like a bakelite van.

• Funny x 3
  • Like x 1

#13 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 27 February 2017 - 14:31

Tempting to start a round of Famous Belgians, isn't it?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0771.PNG

• Like x 5
  • Informative/Useful x 3

#14 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 16:25

I'll raise you an Egide Walschaerts and an Alfred BelpaireIMG_0915.JPG IMG_0914.JPG
  • Like x 6

#15 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 27 February 2017 - 18:15

Apparently.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0989.JPG

Edited by Nearholmer, 27 February 2017 - 18:16 .

• Like x 4

#16 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 19:35

Alright, then, before we get to Tintin and Poirot, what about Paul Delvaux? Who? Google and go to images, (please do, just make sure there's no one around to say "perving again, eh, grandad?") Artist, who painted trains and nudes, i.e. a proper artist. He has featured on RMweb in the proper place:http://www.rmweb.co....-3#ipboard_body
  • Informative/Useful x 2
  • Like x 1

#17 phil_sutters

phil_sutters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 19:53

Alright, then, before we get to Tintin and Poirot, what about Paul Delvaux? Who? Google and go to images, (please do, just make sure there's no one around to say "perving again, eh, grandad?") Artist, who painted trains and nudes, i.e. a proper artist. He has featured on RMweb in the proper place:http://www.rmweb.co....-3#ipboard_body

I found great inspiration in Belgian art - this was a birthday card I created, I was going to say knocked up, but realised it had at least one other meaning, for my brother-in-law who had chauffeured us on a trip to Bruges.

and also this la.jpg

• Like x 2
  • Informative/Useful x 1
  • Funny x 1

#18 coachmann

coachmann

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 20:02

I bought two of those bakelite LMS corridor coaches from Tydsley & Holbrook on Deansgate, Manchester around 1957. They must have been inexpensive because I only earned a few quid weekends cleaning cars. Within 12 months I was into wine, women & song and goodbye 0 gauge for nearly 60 years.

• Like x 2

#19 ChrisN

ChrisN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 20:16

How about Leo Tindemanns?  Belgian PM.

I was told that either Gosciny or Udezo, of Asterix fame was Belgian but it is not true I have just found.

Eddie Merckx, 5 time winner of the Tour de France,

and of course his son who was called by the obvious name of a champion on two wheels, Axel Merckx.

Sorry, played this before but the names above are new to me as being Belgian.

• Like x 2

#20 brianusa

brianusa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa, USA

Posted 27 February 2017 - 20:20

Hi Kev, good to see your layout with all that nice track and pointery  but how do you manage to switch them all manually when trains are thundering around?  While I revel in old Hornby track, (nothing younger than me), I do like those that are on your layout which is about the same size as mine. Which brand is it?

#21 Nearholmer

Nearholmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,874 posts
  • LocationBirlstone

Posted 27 February 2017 - 20:52

Brian,

The track is Maldon, which is effectively a replica of maerklin or Hornby solid rail track from the 1930s, but with NS, rather than steel, rail, and ABS, rather than steel, sleepers. I had bad experience of tinplate track when I was a small boy, which put me off for life!

Phil and Chris

I think it is probably larger than 0 gauge, though.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0990.JPG

Edited by Nearholmer, 27 February 2017 - 21:01 .

• Like x 7
  • Funny x 1

#22 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 20:58

Ceci nest pas un mantelpiece.
  • Funny x 4
  • Like x 3

#23 phil_sutters

phil_sutters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 22:50

My mantelpiece is bigger than yours

- print found in a house in north Somerset passed to my father, who identified the photographer as A.H.Malan. This was confirmed when it and two similar prints were offered to NRM. They forwarded them to The National Archive where the main body of Malan's archive is held.

2-2-2 Wigmore Castle, Box, c1893 1024pixel h.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters, 28 February 2017 - 17:19 .

• Like x 7

#24 Northroader

Northroader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 14:49

You can have it in concrete as well

IMG_0916.JPG

Edited by Northroader, 28 February 2017 - 15:07 .

• Like x 5

#25 phil_sutters

phil_sutters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 19:44

You can have it in concrete as well

attachicon.gifIMG_0916.JPG

I see you were keeping to the Belgian theme. I was however thinking out of the Box.

• Craftsmanship/Clever x 2
  • Funny x 2
  • Like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bassett Lowke, ace trains, southern, Sussex, coarse scale, vintage