Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

I've posed the same question, not that I'm actually sure what colour B&M engines were. Some sort of red?

Hopefully, I should be able to post pictures of the pilot model later, because Paul is bringing it to a meeting this afternoon.

The big issue is whether I can resist having more than one, or end up getting a bit carried away, as happened with the Terriers.

• Like 2

According to my absorbed engines book the B&M Livery was red ,then states almost a dark chocolate colour??? another minefield of "thinned then heat treated colour!....why not paint em black and have done with it !...any chance of a video of the new arrival?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No I have not got a mean streak the funny rating was meant to be friendly/supportive but the computer decide to opt for funny as the cursor passed now been corrected.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And, a few more from yesterday’s gathering.

The loco with the lamp is for Brian. The 4-4-4T is highly unusual, being an original Hornby electric - 99+% of these were clockwork. The Portsmouth unit is exley/BL.

The Nelson is very nice. Is that a Sheba on the right?

• RMweb Premium

I think Shebas were only the Tin Hal, weren’t they? So no, it’s a 3-Sub, as rendered by ACE.

K

I thought the Shebas were the Bulleid SUBs but as I'm far to young to remember them first hand I'm open to correction!

I plead relative youth, too. But, on reflection I think the name might have applied to the few all-steel SUBS with domed fronts. Certainly I don't ever remember anyone calling the 'flat' fronted ones that.

Anyway, about fifteen or twenty years ago, ACE made 3-car sets for SR, Watford DC, and Met. I've got the SR one, and it is one of the few toy trains ever to be bought in Fortnum & Mason, because ACE ran a Christmas layout there. I've only ever been in that shop once, I hasten to add; a railway engineer's salary never did run to foie gras and the like!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

<<The loco with the lamp is for Brian.>>

There are a lot of Brians here from time to time so should it be me, as my preference for lamps stuck in the middle of the smoke box is well known and the picture is appreciated.  Also its a County as well; a pity they were all gone before my time. :cry:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Circulation has been restored!

After something like two months, I've reinstated the main circuit. Electrical connection is currently(!) by means of an unholy string of crocodile-clip leads, but it works, and I hope to get time to make proper connections tomorrow.

The curve connecting Paltry Circus to the main circuit has yet to be laid, and may have to wait another week or two.

Kevin

post-26817-0-48898900-1510521632_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 11

Electrical connection is now slightly less unholy, but, considering what my profession is, the electrics on the layout really do prove that a cobbler’s child has no shoes.

This evening, I spent a pleasant hour playing trains.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

Right, it's about time we wallowed in a bit of nostalgia for someone else's past again.

I came upon the picture below, and had to include it here, because the young chap looks incredibly like I did at the same age, right down to the wire-rimmed glasses, and because he is playing with a Hornby loco that I have now; not the actual one he's playing with, you understand; but one exactly like it.

Did he grow-up to be a life long toy train enthusiast, I wonder? Probably not.

The other photos are the trains I was playing with this evening ...... pity that there seems to be no effective way to control the point of focus or depth of field on an iPhone camera.

I can only apologise for the kitsch sweetie-tin houses.

post-26817-0-13931300-1510871056_thumb.png

post-26817-0-12040700-1510871350_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-98044600-1510871365_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

To a young lad, the seductive picture (not that kind of seduction!) of toy trains in action would be an encouragement to be involved and no doubt pleas were entertained in the weeks before his birthday.  It is more than likely we all followed the same routine whether it be for birthdays or Christmas thanks to pictures such as this.

Brian.

• Like 1