Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Guest Isambarduk

From the Hornby advertisement: remember the days when appliances were connected to the light socket, often via an adapter with a switch that allowed you still to use the light bulb!  Some things have improved with time.

David

Edited by Isambarduk

• RMweb Gold

The tree is up and decorated, end of term carols later this afternoon, it must be time to write a letter to Father Christmas, I think ......

I thought you would have done that already hoping someone might look over your shoulder and take the hint.  :jester:

Don

Those lovely Hornby ads; they probably inspired many to move the furniture and take over the lounge. But how many ended up like this, totally impractical for what appears to be an eight year old in his Meccano jersey; how do you change all the points, for example or uncouple rolling stock. A delicate dance between the tracks no matter how cautious must end up with a few squashed rails. The lads parents must be well off to purchase all this whereas most ended up with a circle of track and a goods set. But it was good for business as we all must have dreamt of such a layout in our imagination and perhaps later in life we got somewhere close.

• Like 1

You only have to go to one of the bigger HRCA gatherings to understand the lasting power of those adverts.

Anyway, here is good old FC, about to attempt to deliver that boy's presents down the chimney of a modest semi in Chiingford.

post-26817-0-03786700-1513374358.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

I’m supposed to be doing a long list of tasks during my ‘day off’, but got briefly distracted into a c1950 LM Region moment. I know nothing about the LMS, but have come to like the dignified liveries, which come across very well in tinplate, although they were surely very dull in reality.

post-26817-0-16039200-1513681646_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-30117100-1513681690_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

I’m supposed to be doing a long list of tasks during my ‘day off’, but got briefly distracted into a c1950 LM Region moment. I know nothing about the LMS, but have come to like the dignified liveries, which come across very well in tinplate, although they were surely very dull in reality.

Now I know what that Third Rail is for!

It's the anti-gravity rail!

Yes, and whatever I do in an attempt to rotate them, some photos from my phone now come out, and persistently stay, upside down..... b annoying!

I suspect a recent software update, but will need to delve further!

Let’s try again.

post-26817-0-18770000-1513693260_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

Look into my eyes ......... You are feeling sleepy ........ very sleeepy ........

When you wake up, you will believe you have been on a long journey ........ you have forgotten all you ever knew about finescale .......... you will be a devotee of coarse scale ......... say after me “coarse is good” .........

Now, I will count slowly down from ten and when I get to one, you will wake up ....... ten .....nine .....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...seven.. ..BUT THERES THE TRACK.... six....BUT THERES ALL THE FINESCALE STUFF I GOT TO SHIFT...five... BUT I AINT GOT THE DOUGH.... four....BUT IM GETTING TOO OLD TO CHANGE ME INDOLENT WAYS...three.....AARRGH!......

(Ere, you weren’t watching when I pulled the same stunt on Phil in SOSJ recently??.. Paid back in me own coin!!!)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

Thanks for the warning ... under the influence of hypnotism I was about to head out for an oval of OO Gauge set track, a ready to plant bridge and a diecast 'bus to put on it; lucky escape, phew!

Oh, but hang on!  If I'd had the wisdom to do that, I'd have had a working layout months ago!

B8gger.

f

• RMweb Premium

Couple of days ago, someone mentioned “Charmouth” on a thread, and I was thinking back to being a teenager reading about it in the Railway Modeller, and it struck me if I’d just gone ahead a made a straight copy of that and run it, how much simpler the intervening years could have been.. Ho hum..

• Like 2

Couple of days ago, someone mentioned “Charmouth” on a thread, and I was thinking back to being a teenager reading about it in the Railway Modeller, and it struck me if I’d just gone ahead a made a straight copy of that and run it, how much simpler the intervening years could have been.. Ho hum..

Our very own Runs as required http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/?p=2960215

• RMweb Gold

I read that at the same time and was sold on the idea. However soon after (the April issue I believe) featured Jim Russel's Litlle Western which seemed as good a layout as one could hope for. My oval of tri-ang stuff was torn up and a terminus to reversing loop built. At which point I discovered the electric issues of return loops. I have never been able to match the grandeur of the Little Western but I have had a lot of fun.

Don  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It was just available space, you could hope to see a Charmouth along the shelf of a bedroom wall, but the Little Western did need a room really. (My first line was an Lshape terminus in TT, St. Ives, of course, made from a knocked down tea chest, which was a disaster, second was a 6x4 done with proper materials as one solid unit, which lived under the bed(!!!) but I was away from home at college and works, and that sort of withered on the vine.) sorry, Kevin, must get back on topic somehow.

• Like 1

I can't recall with certainty the first layout that I started and didn't finish, but I think it might have been a really strange one that was going to be called Tel-el-Kebir, which involved an Airfix 'Foreign Legion' fort, 009 track, and a great deal of fine sand. The sand and the 009 didn't mix well. The idea was to represent the Egyptian Delta Light Railways (a huge 750mm gauge network). In a sudden geographical leap, the next one was based on a branch line milk depot operation, using a Wrenn diesel shunter and six-wheeler tanks. The list of other unfinished projects is too depressing to contemplate!

• Like 2