Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

I'm not sure what resins were used with glassfibre in the 60s (smelly, noxious ones, IIRC), but modern resin kits are sort-of the descendants of these Douglass things, I guess. I should have asked whether the loco has chopped fibre mixed in the resin as reinforcement; if so, horrible stuff to sand or file because the dust is evil.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure what resins were used with glassfibre in the 60s (smelly, noxious ones, IIRC), but modern resin kits are sort-of the descendants of these Douglass things, I guess. I should have asked whether the loco has chopped fibre mixed in the resin as reinforcement; if so, horrible stuff to sand or file because the dust is evil.

I think they were Fibreglass. At 15 I wanted one but didn't have the money when I started work and had some money a motorbike seemed more important. Glass fibre mat is stillused with resins. At one time I worked for a firm who made heating tapes with elelments sewn into glass fibre tape. The air in the factory was full of the stuff. When you started work there you itched for a few weeks them became acustomed to it. The legacy however it although I ceased work there about 76 I stilll itch like crazy from the first touch of fibre glass and if I go in the loft I will cough for ages.

Don

He knew how to collect trains, didn’t he!

Very interesting set of photos, although I did spot a couple of erroneous labellings, which seems really odd given that Allen Levy is credited as one of the expert catalogue compilers; presumably a website problem. The ‘Two Bonds tank engines’ are Leeds, for instance. And I love the way the humble Triang Jinty gets put down, in both senses, as ‘a black tank engine’...... it probabably outsold all the rest, put together, five or ten times over!

• Like 2

He knew how to collect trains, didn’t he!

Very interesting set of photos, although I did spot a couple of erroneous labellings, which seems really odd given that Allen Levy is credited as one of the expert catalogue compilers; presumably a website problem. The ‘Two Bonds tank engines’ are Leeds, for instance. And I love the way the humble Triang Jinty gets put down, in both senses, as ‘a black tank engine’...... it probabably outsold all the rest, put together, five or ten times over!

Then perhaps you might like to take a look at my thread. I was inspired by the aforementioned collection to make them. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133555-fun-with-freelance/

• Like 2

Proof that grumpy intolerance did not arrive in the world with the internet.

Here is Mr J P Boucher of St Leonard’s-on-Sea chomping on his pipe-stem and taking a blast at old-fashioned 0 gauge in the July 1953 Railway Modeller. Such was the speed of debate then that it took until October for a letter to be published pointing out that it was all explicable, by several good reasons.

post-26817-0-05235000-1529063561_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Guest Isambarduk

It’s a medium-length rant, of the sort that you can enjoy on RMWeb any day, pointing out that anyone who varied from his definition of the acceptable was deeply, deeply wrong.

Hmmm.  RMWeb, quite mild compared to some of the extended daily rants by a few individuals on the G0G Forum, sadly. It seems that, for them, there are only two sorts of people in the world: those who agree with them and those who are just plain wrong!   David

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm.  RMWeb, quite mild compared to some of the extended daily rants by a few individuals on the G0G Forum, sadly. It seems that, for them, there are only two sorts of people in the world: those who agree with them and those who are just plain wrong!   David

Which is why I do not bother with the G0G Forum. In reality an awful lot of G0G members have a broad range of interests - but the public face through the (can't say 'their' as I am a member) forum is very off-putting to one who is happy to "Play trains". Some would think that you have to be a very skilled modeller and have a starched white boiler suit and a bow tie to be a member.

To be fair, the "G0G Gazette" has provided a broad coverage recently, but the forum is terribly off-putting to one who appreciates both fine museum quality models and good quality "Coarse" scale that I can afford and run round curves that allow me to have a home layout bigger than "Wantage - Upper Yard (WTC)" which is about all I can achieve to scale at home! Good Coarse scale can be just like "Grown-up Hornby-Dublo" (x 7/4) - great fun.

I'll now probably be banned from ever entering the G0G website or other events - but I rather feel the loss would be theirs!

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - Looking in the latest (July 2018) Railway Modeller, I am very tempted by the Lee Marsh model of "Fair Rosamund" - but would I dare take it out of the glass case to run? - Much more tempted by Maurice Deane's "Hampstead Moreton" layout in the August 1970 RM, along with Don Neal's Kirtley Branch seen in his article on "Planting Out the Railway.

CH

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 4

Guest Isambarduk

No, David, I’m sorry, but...

:)

Simon

.. and you've lost me there, Simon (I wasn't getting at you, if that was it?).  Cheers,   David

Love the nom-de-plume.

Second grandson is now a week overdue. Sadly, my suggested naming of Isambard Kingdom Brunel 2750papyrus has not been well received.

• RMweb Premium

Proof that grumpy intolerance did not arrive in the world with the internet.

Here is Mr J P Boucher of St Leonard’s-on-Sea chomping on his pipe-stem and taking a blast at old-fashioned 0 gauge in the July 1953 Railway Modeller. Such was the speed of debate then that it took until October for a letter to be published pointing out that it was all explicable, by several good reasons.

Clearly he had moved to the coast from Tunbridge Wells.

.. the (can't say 'their' as I am a member) forum is very off-putting to one who is happy to "Play trains".

I find the most fun to be had on the g0g forum is to block some of the vocal members, easy to do, all the more contentious threads are then much shorter, and I find its much more fun to imagine what 'jim' said when people reply with phrases like 'as jim said', or 'I disagree with what jim said' *others names are of course applicable here

I.

• RMweb Gold

In my time as editor of the Gazette I tried to be even handed. I also found that a number of articles submitted that contained a dig at those with different views.  I simply removed those comments. No one ever complained that I had done so. I presume they would have felt silly writing to the editor to say 'Dear Sir why did you remove my snide remark". The problem with forums is there is no pause between typing and it appearing, and one one uncalled for remark is countered by another just as bad it is a short route to pistols at dawn.

Don

I wish I hadn’t re-opened that old wound ...... I just thought the tone of it was ‘of another time’.

So, here is a nice picture of a train instead..... mind you, Mr Boucher would be seriously upset that I’m still using that coarse track, sixty plus years on!

post-26817-0-97636000-1529153730_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I wish I hadn’t re-opened that old wound ...... I just thought the tone of it was ‘of another time’.

So, here is a nice picture of a train instead..... mind you, Mr Boucher would be seriously upset that I’m still using that coarse track, sixty plus years on!

Seeing as Mr Boucher was a pillock 60 years ago I expect he is now a dead pillock probably turning in his grave. I believe this is a sympton of having a 'boundaries' issue those spoilt in chidhood can fail to accept other people can have different views. Anyone having different views is seen as a threat. Politics and religion are areas where this often shows up as splitting into smaller and smaller groups over increasingly trivial differences. 

Personally I don't mind what you want to do with your own railway. I can appreciate what you are doing even if your track wouldn't suit me.

Don

• Like 1

Perhaps we shouldn’t speak too much ill of the, almost certainly, departed. Maybe he had other, redeeming, qualities.

Terriers? They’re small, so three or four of them only counts as one bigger engine. That’s the way I look at it anyway. And, yes, the horse box is by Mr BR.

Edited by Nearholmer

Fast forward from recent pre-grouping things, and Birlstone is hosting a Pullman special. Lots of complicated reversing and, later, empty stock moves, all interfering with normal traffic, as is typical of such occasions, but it gives an excuse to polish the engines, and even the coal wagons, by the looks of it.

Who was the passenger? Let’s just say that there are rumours about him and Homer’s wife.

post-26817-0-26573300-1529321238_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-78497200-1529321251_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-09976900-1529321265_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-62920200-1529321279_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Fast forward from recent pre-grouping things, and Birlstone is hosting a Pullman special. Lots of complicated reversing and, later, empty stock moves, all interfering with normal traffic, as is typical of such occasions, but it gives an excuse to polish the engines, and even the coal wagons, by the looks of it.

Who was the passenger? Let’s just say that there are rumours about him and Homer’s wife.

Not being an aficionado of either Greek mythology or The Simpsons, you've got me there.