Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

For St Enodoc.

The Happy Couple.

Actually, thinking about it, the abdication took place before the Q Class were built, so maybe it wasn’t him on that train after all.

post-26817-0-91863900-1529331271_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For St Enodoc.

The Happy Couple.

Actually, thinking about it, the abdication took place before the Q Class were built, so maybe it wasn’t him on that train after all.

Ah, of course. I didn't make the "double connection". Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Nope, try as I might, I’m too thick for that one.

I think I can help with this one. Enid was written by Virgil, who was the pilot of Thunderbird 2, which was operated by International Rescue, who were supported by Lady Penelope, who was the wife of Odysseus, which was written by Homer.

For St Enodoc.

The Happy Couple.

A certain cartoon show abotu a yellow family, anyone?

• RMweb Premium

I’d best get back on topic, and not burden you with luscious greyishyellow ladies. We’ve established what the SR Royal train looks like, but I think your train with a single Pullman spliced in looks great. Very typical for a lot of SR expresses, and quite unlike the rest of the big four.

And, typical of royal trains for slightly less-grand occasions on the SR. I'd increase the number of Pullmans in the rake, but I've only got one more, a wooden one that is about 18" long, so looks a bit daft with the short Bing one.

By BR(S) days, I'm 99% certain, all such trips solely on the Southern were handled using Pullmans, or, on odd occasions such as Prince Charles' and Lady Diana's wedding, the GM's inspection saloon.

All this royal stuff is very out of character for me, a loco named 'Tom Paine' might be more up my street, but I'm getting my head around the subject in advance of a gathering of old-fashioned toy train buffs next week, where the theme is 'royalty and nobility'. I do have several Bassett Lowke 'Prince Charles' locos, but they are very common, so are bound to be present in quantity, making me think that I need to tackle the theme slightly differently.

A final thought on the abdication: Wallis and Gromit.

• Like 2

But, Churchill was technically 'commoner', not having inherited a title, so falls outside of the definition of 'nobility', I think. Not that the theme will be enforced that strictly; this is a train-playing event, not the seating arrangements at a banquet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But, Churchill was technically 'commoner', not having inherited a title, so falls outside of the definition of 'nobility', I think. Not that the theme will be enforced that strictly; this is a train-playing event, not the seating arrangements at a banquet.

Wouldn’t “Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports” qualify him as a nob, and a Southern one at that?

He may not have been a peer himself, but he was the son of a peer (Lord Randolph Churchill), was born at Blenheim Palace, was a Knight of the Garter, and was offered (but declined) a dukedom on his retirement. I think "commoner" doesn't tell the whole story!

You could, of course, bring along some of Andrew Stadden's figures (he does Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, as well as Winston Churchill).

Gordon

• Like 1

Well, we had our ‘royalty and nobility’ themed train-playing session yesterday, and here are a few pictures.

HMQ herself was present in miniature facsimile, reviewing a very impressive March-past of toy soldiers.

Next, the tender behinds of a couple of princesses.

My contribution was a visit from the president of the French Republic, to give my posh carriages an outing.

The wooden four wheelers are ancient wooden scratchbuilds which have immense character - more miner’s train than posh.

The signal looked noble to me, and it was such a beautiful evening that I include a random photo taken from just outside the venue.

post-26817-0-80294900-1530003264_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-80125600-1530003329_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-63214500-1530003431_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-10308500-1530003619_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-96981500-1530003644_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-95931100-1530003671_thumb.jpeg

post-26817-0-38359000-1530003835_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I really like those scratchbuilt wooden 4 wheelers.  I own a wooden LSWR bogie brake 3rd that's an ancient post WW1 scratchbuild and it's very much a treasured part of my modest collection.

cGZnIJG.jpg

Edited by Annie

The Chopper was made by Highfield models, a small firm that kept the flame of coarse-0 flickering between the demise of The Real Bassett-Lowke and Hornby and the start of the revival in the 1990s. They made some nice things, but the locos are very light and can't pull much. More models here http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/railways/highfield/index.html

The wooden coaches are a reall mixed-bag, retrieved from their current 'curator' from various scrap boxes, and repaired. They have about every different type of wheel set you can imagine. Some are hardwood sides, about 3/16" thick, with cardboard doilies applied as beading, others are what looks like balsa, with surprisingly fine bead applied using strip-wood. Some of them have shed details like footboards and brake-gear over the years. Pity my photo is all fuzzy because I took it while the train, which is about ten cars long, was moving.

• Like 5

post-21098-0-40823700-1530397652_thumb.jpg

A recent acquisition adding to the GW stock, a much reworked No.1Tank.  Good price though and goes well.

Too much 'coal' in the bunker!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an update from WJ Vintage the Adams Radial is on its way looks superb from the photos, and there is a BR Liveried one coming as well ,pics on bookface and his website ! As  GWR fan....... Must say I am tempted to a BR Black un !....

• Like 1