E464 Vitrains

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

In my old Austro-Italian layout I had a Vitrains local train with double-decker coaches running, a kind of train as I used it every day commuting to Milan. I purchased this train in 2006, and I put a bit of effort in, like 40 passengers per coach, light in all coaches, a few graffiti and of coarse some aging. Why? the trains were almost always full, except the month of August, which is the main holiday season in Italy. And they were always full of graffiti.

I had this train on show in 2006,2007 and 2008, in 2010 I moved to the UK and all my railway stuff was in boxes.

As I recently took out this train and took it into the club for a test run it didn't do anything. Later I opened the locomotive and saw that the small brass piece holding the pick-ups was broken on both boogies. So - no power - no show.

33135664725_ba48a84008_k.jpg20161230_132628

The brass foil contacting the brass spring came off from the gear box casing, probably because of the constant pressure of the spring. Plastic parts don't like a constant force, so probably it was a design problem. I didn't see any chance in repairing this and I thought that the 464 will go into "museum mode" somewhere in a display case.

As the loco came with a spare parts list I sent a letter to Vitrains and described the problem. OK, here I have a slight advantage, as I could write my letter in Italian. After some days a mail came back, they were apologizing for the problem and going to send me the necessary spares, 2 new gearboxes.

Noting happened for a long time, but - about 2 weeks ago the gearboxes arrived! Tonight I made the necessary surgery and replaced the gearboxes. The loco runs as on the first day!

33008410701_eb7760b0dc_k.jpg20170226_195410

I have to say I am absolutely impressed by the service of Vitrains! First having spare parts for a loco after 10 years time is not always the case,

and second to send them over free of charge - this is a service you will not easily find!

Hats of to Vitrains! First class service!

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Impressive indeed, no doubt helped by two things that although once the norm are now unusual in model railways - they are the actual manufacturer (as opposed to outsourcing it to factories in Asia) and their factory is at home in Italy. That gives them a lot more control over their product and allows them to offer long term support which although we once took for granted is now rare.

Impressive indeed, no doubt helped by two things that although once the norm are now unusual in model railways - they are the actual manufacturer (as opposed to outsourcing it to factories in Asia) and their factory is at home in Italy. That gives them a lot more control over their product and allows them to offer long term support which although we once took for granted is now rare.

I too have had an excellent service from jagerndorfer with parts for a secondhand cat set. These small manufacturers really do seem to care

and need to be supported, they deserve too be.

Craig.

Archived