Dapol OO Western - Pickup Issues / Access to Wheels for Cleaning

Mutley

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I wonder if anybody is able to give me some advice on a problem I have with one of my Dapol Westerns?

The loco in question is one of the original Maroon Small Yellow Ends models, which when last run in anger (about 18 months ago) was a fine runner to match its fine looks.

With a new layout up and running, I decided to get the loco out for a spin but found that it was prone to sporadic stalling, not always in the same location and other locos (including a couple of other Westerns) run absolutely fine at all speeds.

I decided that there must be an issue with the electrical pickup and so cleaned the surfaces of the wheels that touch the rails with no improvement and next took my brand new Gaugemaster Wheel Cleaning gizmo to it (very impressed with this) but again no improvement.

Next step is to get under the keeper plate, perhaps get the wheels out and clean the backs, assuming there are contacts bearing onto the backs somewhere.  That's where I hit a problem in that I can't figure out how to get the keeper plate off, although I did find a comment somewhere in the main Western thread that mentioned clips at either end.  I've poked and prodded around but nothing seems to be budging.

Just wondered if somebody who has actually done this could give me a pointer?

Thanks in advance 

Mike

• 8 months later...

Assuming '00'

The clips are at the ends of the bogies on the outside. 

You'll need to get (really dig) a blade between the clip and start it spreading.

Hold that spread and then leaver the the bogie off with a small flat head screw driver using the fuel tank as a fulcrum.

Once the bogie bottom is 'free', unplug the two hoses. The wheel set's will unclip out. 

You will need to clean the bearings and the axles as the power is collected through the bearing surface!

I'd disassemble the whole wheel sets, don't lose the clear spacers !!!!

Polish everything, scribe the last 3mm of the stub axles for a better fit in the gears and resemble.

Some debate on oiling, but if you do, make sure it's an electrically conductive oil like Labelle 107.

It's not hard once your in :-)

Edited by swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, very useful, I might give it a whirl again sometime.

Meanwhile, bit of a 'sticking plaster' really but I fitted it with a Zimo decoder and an SC68 capacitor pack and that keeps it running nicely.

All the best

Mike