• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#176 hayfield

hayfield

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:58

Whilst business rates can be a huge cost for small businesses, there is currently small business rates relief which ok could be withdrawn at any time, but if a business occupies less than I think under 200 sq/m, it is exempt from paying business rates. Local authorities do not directly gain from this which is set and collected by central government.

It is quite permissable to use a room in your house for business purposes and not have to pay business rates on that room. If you have a large shed in the garden "for your hobby" then it's a shed for your hobby. Providing you haven't got 40 tonne lorries coming and going every day who is to know? We had 2 40'x40' sheds built in the garden to house our collection of vintage buses as part of "our hobby".

Maybe if any of us lives in the area where C&L is now based would like to offer to help on a voluntary basis that may be appreciated by the new owner?

roythebus, 

You are quite correct that you can work from home in most cases and you can employ family, but as soon as you employ non family members you have to obtain planning permission, how do I know my previous employer fell foul of these rules, 

Edited by hayfield, 12 December 2017 - 10:28 .

• Informative/Useful x 1
  • Like x 1

#177 Re6/6

Re6/6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:09

As I posted previously, please can we give this chap a break.

If he has time I’m sure that he’ll be reading this thread and all the adverse ‘comments’ and helpful suggestions might just be putting further pressure on him which won’t be helping. 

I don’t know the chap from Adam, but shouldn’t we just let him get on with it and steadily build the business his way and accept that there will be a delay in orders being fulfilled. Recently on here, we’ve seen one small business buckle under the pressure of expectation. 

The very last thing that those of us that rely on track components would want would be to lose this unique source of supply.

• Agree x 5
  • Like x 2
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#178 hayfield

hayfield

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:40

As I posted previously, please can we give this chap a break.

If he has time I’m sure that he’ll be reading this thread and all the adverse ‘comments’ and helpful suggestions might just be putting further pressure on him which won’t be helping. 

I don’t know the chap from Adam, but shouldn’t we just let him get on with it and steadily build the business his way and accept that there will be a delay in orders being fulfilled. Recently on here, we’ve seen one small business buckle under the pressure of expectation. 

The very last thing that those of us that rely on track components would want would be to lose this unique source of supply.

I think I replied the same that the Previous owner stopped reading RMweb due to adverse comments, Phil also mentioned to me about some comments on here earlier. Thankfully he is fully committed to resolving the few remaining issues whilst keeping up with the latest orders. Quite philosophical about it, realises that a few people have had problems and he is trying to resolve them, some of which hopefully can be simple others may take time if relying on outside contractors.

I would like to repeat one of the problems has been with the email system due to a hiccup during the account and website being transferred, For those of us in the UK the simple course of action is to phone and chat through the situation especially if you have not paid

• Like x 2

#179 Lacathedrale

Lacathedrale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:51

I've just been speaking to Phil after an order on the website, and as per John's post above found him extremely friendly and engaging, and eager to help out. 

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure I made an order on the 27th, and called through today (30th) because I wanted to add some items and hadn't got a reply via email. I was advised that the order was about to be picked, but I subsequently arranged with Phil to pay by card over the phone and to collect at the Ewell MRC open day on Saturday. 

Edited by Lacathedrale, 30 January 2018 - 12:33 .

• Like x 2